The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 03-24-2003, 10:08 AM   #111
new world

Order of Mothers Glory for $50 ???

Currently on eBay:

- just single Order of Mothers Glory 2nd class - has bids for GBP 29.00 (approx. US $45.31 )
- Mothers Glory 1st class - bids for GBP 31.00 (approx. US $48.43 )

- and more than one day till the auction end.

What's going on??????

Last edited by new world; 03-24-2003 at 10:12 AM.
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2003, 10:26 AM   #112
Ed Maier

New World,

As I've stated before prices for everything is going up. I recently spoke with a very well known medal dealer from Germany (as did many of you) and he was here primarily not to sell, but to buy! He also said that the availability of common medals such as the 100 Years of Lenin and the 800 Years of Moscow medal have dried up in Russia. He can sell them in Russia for 300% more then what he could have bought them for just 1 or 2 years ago.

The rising price of gold has also pushed many prices up for the gold Orders as well.

I really hate to keep harping on this point, but there are few good deals out on originals and they will become father in between as those sellers come to grips with their replacement costs. So, anyone out their looking to sell their collection, please let me know.

Just my opinion,
Ed
Ed Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 10:52 AM   #113
new world

Ed,

your points are valid, however - there's something going on with those particular listings.

There's another listing for full set of Motherhood awards - all 3 classes of orders and 2 classes of medals - opening price $50 and ZERO bids.

Also, there are several other Motherhood orders - all in $20-30 range - without any bids.

To keep those listings in mind - it makes no sense to bid $50 for a single order!!!!

William

Last edited by new world; 03-24-2003 at 11:07 AM.
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:48 PM   #114
Ed Maier

William,

It sounds like another example of the Wonderful World of Ebay.

There are crazy things that go on there.

Good luck,
Ed M.
Ed Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 02:39 PM   #115
yolkin

Well,

I recently saw on E! a regular Order of Red Banner get fought over (!) and actually purchased for $65....

Mind boggling...

Eric
Old 03-25-2003, 01:53 PM   #116
redstar_co

Order condition and values

Hello all
Would like to know if a condition of the order affects the value of one in a big way.
For example what would be the difference with
1st Glory with 6 out of possible 10
anb
1st Glory with 8 out of possible 10
Old 03-25-2003, 03:24 PM   #117
yolkin

Ruslan,

I think the condition of the order may have a drastic affect on the price in some cases and not at all in others. For example, for Glory 1 if it is 6/10 but has a COA and looks decent enough it can be sold or the same if not more money as would Glory 1st with an 8/10 rating...

Personally, I tend to try to balance off looks, rarity, rating, and collecting value when choosing awards.

Eric
Old 03-25-2003, 04:17 PM   #118
redstar_co

The reason I asked because I noticed that all dealers have prety much similar prices.
Only high end items can be very flexable in the price. The only difference I noticed was condition and luck or precense of the documents that supliment the award. Bogdan 2nd class is good example. Lenin as well
Old 03-25-2003, 06:10 PM   #119
Art
Forum Founder

Ebay is a unique marketplace. It is more like the U.S. Stock Exchange. There is a real herd-like mentality there. I've seen two identical awards, fairly common, something like a Capture of Berlin with a document, one might have no bids at the end of the auction, but two or three bidders get into a war over the second and drive the price up crazy.

Needless to say, all of us who sell these awards will tell you, get them while you can! especially the higher more expensive items. I was talking to a well-versed dealer from Ukraine ( you've all seen his website but for his privacy I'll leave his name anonymous ) about this subject a few days ago. Here is what he said:

"You are absolutely right about the price-increasing policy in USA
and Europe. During last couple of years in the countries of former
USSR (Russia, Ukraine, etc) we can see extremely high increasing of number of people, who interested in Soviet Awards. Most of them are very wealthy. Much more wealthy than average US collector. Of course, that is not because life in post-USSR countries become better. The secret is that 90% of those rich people have criminal money. Not direct criminal like robbery or murder. But high-level economical corruption, money-laundry, black market, tax-avoiding etc. So, they can pay any price for their hobby (also it is a good investment, isn't it?). Let me give you couple of examples. In January 2003 people from Russia bought in Ukraine two 2nd class Glory orders with border on reverse for 1400 USD each. It is unbelievable price for Ukrainian market. Two weeks ago I talk to person who was looking for Red Star without a mintmark (early type made between Goznak and Mondvor). He was ready to pay up to 2000 USD for each. Can you believe in it? At the same time XXXXXXX can not sell the same order for a long time even with a lower price. I know some people in Russia who had already bought items from XXXXXXX and XXXXXXX. That's the way things are. My guess that in next 5 years all rare awards will come back to USSR borders. Of course some will remain in personal collections, but dealer's business will disappear. No awards, no market, no dealers. I'm not talking about Red Star or Badge of Honor with 6-digit numbers. I mean really rare awards like 2nd class Sv, Kt or Hm. It is my point of view. Maybe I am mistaken, hopefully."

For what it's worth!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:04 PM   #120
HuliganRS

RedStar: To me the price would be the same if the 6 out of 10 had a low serial number and the 8 out of 10 would have a high number.

My "Hombre" (Yolkin) is a bit modest... He owns an Order of Glory 1st Class with a XXX Serial number and would easily rate a 9 out of 10 !!!

I tried buying it from him but he wouldn't even take it out of the bank!

Rusty.
Member #193

Last edited by HuliganRS; 03-25-2003 at 10:04 PM.
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote