The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 04-10-2022, 06:52 AM   #1
Pravda

Rush on Mongolian Orders in 2022!

This forum has been a little quiet recently, so I wanted to see what others have been observing. I have noticed that 2022 has started with a strong demand for Mongolian ODM. Most of the established dealers in the US, Canada and Europe have been having a hard time keeping stock on their website? Could it be that there is some new energy in the Mongolian ODM market?

I have noticed the demand manifesting itself in higher end pieces down to the more common orders. It seems that demand for the medals and badges has been less strong.

I admit that since the Mongolian ODM scene is pretty niche....so there is limited stock out there.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2022, 11:23 PM   #2
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Rush on Mongolian Orders in 2022!

Personally I've not noticed it. There is such a flux happening the last two years, which is an ever present thing (just accentuated), that what is selling out one day, is difficult to shift the next.

My collection is growing at such a rate, I'm finding it difficult to put items away, let alone catalogue, photograph or post them. Different people will have different stories.

There was an item today I was looking for. So cheap, about 8 dealers had it, I'll buy them all tomorrow. Then the price will spike, but it'll be down again when they realise it was a one off.....

With the price of necessities going up, the price of non-necessary items tends to drop, if not actually, in comparison.

There's always fads too.....

Always something to watch out for, be it good or bad. Watching fakes sell for more than originals is always amusing to me.
Old 04-11-2022, 03:05 PM   #3
Pravda

That is very interesting and I am grateful for your insight. The Mongolian collecting community is small and we must keep the faith. I agree that we certainly have seen the Mongolian market hit a high and then see supply taper off.

I have noticed that the fakes are quite bad and the prices through the roof! Mostly coming out of Russia.

On the whole, I would say that commercial prices have been pretty consistent of late with some exceptions. The NJ dealer has an OCV T1 for sale for $950, which will probably take a while to shift at that price. However, he did sell another one for $750 or $850 in the past year.

ORBCV are not often seen anymore. I noticed that all of the ORBLV and OCVs disappear pretty quickly. Even some that had been sitting a while with a dealer in Canada and the NJ dealer were all bought up over the past few weeks. A few OCVs T1s have been on the market since Christmas and both sold for just under $400 after a week or so. I prefer to buy mine for much less and already have a few of these T1s, so let these go to other buyers. The OPS is still available with T2s consistently listed for over $400 with the NJ dealer, but these all have enamel flaws.

I dug and dug and found a new European dealer and just bought a pristine ORBLV T4 with a pretty low serial (#384) at a reasonable price. One with a serial in the 800s sold for $330 last month and now there is one listed on eeeebay with the serial #818 for the outrageous price of $900.

My collection is pretty much complete, short of a ORBCV #2, but finding a low serial at a good price is not an easy task.

Just out of curiosity, will you share the items you bought and at what price after you place your order? I am curious to see what you are seeing as a legitimate market price. Please PM me if you have any good dealers to recommend. ;o)

My Mongolian horde never stops expanding!

Cheers,
Will

Last edited by Pravda; 04-11-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-13-2022, 06:12 PM   #4
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Those Russian fakes you mention are certainly not limited to Mongolian Awards - pretty much all any and awards, coins, documents, etc they can fake they have been and far more consistently in the last few years.

I don't know who is bidding for them - because they often go for more than legitimate items, someone on the inside so they can give someone a "second chance offer" or are fools really falling for the nonsense these days out of desperation?

I have found myself paying a little bit more than I have wanted to, knowing the items were real, even been out of my comfort zone a little buying thinks from "unquestionable sources" but it has been a long time since I fell for a fake.

I hope everyone else is still avoiding those fakes!

Last edited by CtahhR; 04-13-2022 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-14-2022, 10:45 PM   #5
desantnik
Forum Moderator

How large can the market be? Curious.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:46 PM   #6
Pravda

Lol. I feel like we Mongolian ODM collectors are pretty niche. The supply is nothing like the Soviet market. In fact, the quantities pale in comparison to what was issued in number in Bulgaria, Yugoslavia and many other WP states. That being said, sharing the same origin (MONDVOR) means the quality is tops. That was one of the reasons that drew me to the genre. It was an area where I could easily acquire orders and medals that were produced in extremely small runs.
Old 04-16-2022, 08:36 PM   #7
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Finding Bulgarian awards that were awarded for merit (not long service or for an anniversary) is considerably more difficult than may be expected. Of the thousands of Bulgarian awards I have, maybe only 3 are for "merit" and of those, only one has an attached citation.

In comparison to many things I collect, Mongolian awards are VERY commonplace.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #8
Bob

The sudden disappearance of Mongolian orders from the Jersey dealer site (many higher end, although not top tier) was pretty remarkable. Saw the same with DPRK at an earlier point in time.

I suspect it's not individual sales but either
- major buying from Russia (pre-war)
- AND/OR the inventory was on consignment and somebody decided to pull it

There's not been a major 'event' to trigger a sudden increase in interest in Mongolian ODM. That may change with a new book coming out. There may also be a change in a different direction if a recession becomes a harsh reality and that may shake the tree as people have more urgent needs than holding on to Mongolian ODM. Last time that happened, in a relatively short period of time (and with a large portion of luck and available funds) I was able to acquire 3 Hero of Mongolia gold stars.

Coming months/quarters will be interesting...