The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 12-25-2002, 09:18 PM   #1
yolkin

Soviet Military and Hollywood

I recently watched Enemy at the Gates, and K19 - Widowmaker.

I have a question about the Soviet Military uniforms, Orders, Medals and the consulting that the Hollywood producers must have had.

Has anyone on this forum ever been asked to consult on these types of movies?

I did notice that in Enemy at the Gates all of the political officers were wearing at least their XX RKKA medals of the early types, as well as some Red Stars, and early OGPWs. I was impressed with the authenticity of the costumes.

In K19 however I did notice that Harrison Ford was a Captain 1st rank (3 stars) when he was debriefing in Moscow, and immediately afterwords when he arrived at his boat, he was a Captain 2nd rank (2 stars). Oversight of the costume designers?

Anyone has any thoughts on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (47.9 KB, 295 views)

Last edited by yolkin; 12-25-2002 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2002, 01:26 PM   #2
yolkin

Another comment...

After viewing the K19 movie again, I paid more attention to the various ranks and insignia, as well as the military "jargon" used, and again, was very impressed. The insignia that more senior officers wore included the rhombus badges from the Military Academies. I also enjoyed the "Serving Soviet Union" phrase that the enlisted men shouted. This is a direct translation of "Sluzhu Sovetskomu Soyuzu" phrase that is equivalent to the US Marines' "Hoora".

And lastly, the members of this forum may have a better appreciation for Harrison Ford's character's monologue at the end of the movie where he states that he recommended the sailors who worked on the failed reactor for a Hero of Soviet Union award, but that recommendation was turned down. I am sure that the general audience may not have even realized exactly what that entails in terms of the awards, Gramotas, etc..

Thank you,
Eric
Old 12-27-2002, 03:02 AM   #3
otlichnik

Eric,

First, I don't think the top photo is Harrison Ford? Correct me if I am wrong though.

Second, I have been asked to consult on a few films - but I use the phrase consult loosely. Three times it was in the realm of independent student-type "loser" films - one needed some insight into RKKA uniforms for the Finnish war, one for a KGB border guard officer at a Finnish-Soviet border post and the third was for KGB personnel at the Lubyanka (actually somewhere in downtown Ottawa).

Then, in the oddest experience, I was asked for the minute details of the buttons on Stalin's wartime uniform by an American costume person!!

I too though that enemy at the gates was the best non-Russian effort yet. However, if my memory serves me correct there was one notable gaff - there is a huge painting of Stalin hung at an indoors reception scene. He is wearing his M43 uniform which was not introduced until after Stalingrad.

Shawn
Old 12-27-2002, 03:28 AM   #4
Art
Forum Founder

I check the access logs to this site frequently to be sure nothing unusual goes on. One of the referring links was to a Hollywood prop-maker. After following it back I found this site was featured as the site of the day some time ago. Just for laughs I contacted them and asked them if they want to exchange links. They never returned my message

Also, weird you should bring up K-19. National Geographic ( who apparently had some funding in the movie ) sent me a real nice email asking me my opinion on the movie the day after it opened. I told them to send me and my moderators each a complimentary video of the movie and we'd be happy to critique it. Looks like they were just trying to generate "buzz" for the movie. I never heard from them again.

Big business never learns...

Art
Old 12-27-2002, 08:22 AM   #5
Tal Inbar

Shawn, do you mean this frame?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2697.jpg (34.4 KB, 259 views)
Old 12-27-2002, 08:24 AM   #6
Tal Inbar

from k-19
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k19-c17-16a.jpg (35.1 KB, 257 views)
Old 12-27-2002, 08:24 AM   #7
Tal Inbar

and
Attached Images
File Type: jpg k19-c19-10.jpg (26.1 KB, 243 views)
Old 12-27-2002, 11:50 AM   #8
Tal Inbar

i am not sure, but it seems that H. Ford is wearing a ribbon for the 70th Ann. of the Soviet armed forces!

If so, somoene at the props department messed up. Well, they should have checked it with us first...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaaa.jpg (2.7 KB, 336 views)
Old 12-27-2002, 12:19 PM   #9
yolkin

Yes, the second pic that Tal posted, is exactly the one I was referring to when I originally stated that he was a Captain 1 rank in Moscow, and upon his arrival to the K19, he was "demoted" (by the costume department I am sure...) to Captain 2nd rank.

To Otlichnik, you are correct the photo is of Liam Neeson, I just included it as a reference of the ranks, and authenticity.

Also, the portrait of Stalin is really not that good, if it had been for real, the artist would have probably "never painted again".

Any other unusual stories about Hollywood's depiction of Soviet Military? Anything that jumped out as the funniest most embarrasing display of lack of knowledge?

Thank you,

Eric
Old 12-27-2002, 01:57 PM   #10
Tal Inbar

Hunt for the Red October

Let's not forget captain Marco Ramius...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ramius.jpg (22.1 KB, 204 views)