The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

View Poll Results: What is your opinion of the article
I liked it 18 58.06%
I liked it but it could contain more information 8 25.81%
It was just average 2 6.45%
It was just average and needs more detailed information 26 83.87%
I feel that it was not very good 2 6.45%
I did not like it at all 2 6.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #1
Riley1965

Feedback on article

I was asked by a member where to post his feedback on the digest article # 25 The History of the Order of the Red Star. So I have started this thread for your feedback...Good or bad. I need to know as this is my second research article. You can access the article here:

http://www.soviet-awards.com/digest/...r/RedStar1.htm

There is a poll so Please select your comment.

I appreciate all of the assistance from the members of this forum.

All the Best,
Doc
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2006, 08:40 PM   #2
matteti

Hello Riley,
I chose "I liked it" because there was no better option listed!

Yes, it could always contain more information and this is something we need to be cautious with. As we are all here for one main reason, our PASSION, we need to be careful when undertaking a project and determining the scope of it. It is very easy to get caught dreaming of a huge and unrealistically big project that we wouldn't be able to complete.... I know something about it as I am working on a personal project for few years already and I am not close of seeing where it will end...

Anyway, all this to say that it's better to do something small and publish it than very big and never completing it. Every contribution like yours adds to each other on the internet to build a huge knowledge base on the topic.

Thank you for taking of your time to write the article and prepare that nice webpage. Looking forward to reading more of your articles
Old 07-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
latinmajorac

riley, the article was well written, however i thought that it could flow a little better. i thought that everythign was well done, and comming from a background of proofreading college essays until all hours of the morning the fact that i couldn't find anythign wrong with it is a true compliment to your style! please do another article in the near future, i like the fact that it contained enough information to be informative, but not to much so that the article was boring. truly a good addition to the community
Somehow finding money for my next medal purchase? Priceless

starving college kid: will do calculus for Medals

Newly promoted to the Deputy Kapusta Commander position
Old 07-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
MONDVOR

Hi again Doc,
As I said before, the article is pretty good, especially considering that it has been written by a foreigner . I really appreciate your interest to Soviet awards and Soviet history. Thanks!!!
Just want to add few comments. At the very beginning, the order was awarded not to the high-ranking officers and officials (they were getting Red Banners and Lenins), but to junior officers and regular civilian people for extraordinary achievements.
For example in September 1930 a groop of pilots and engineers on 3 planes performed "Big Eastern Flight" on the route Moscow - Ankara - Tiflis - Teheran - Kabul - Tashkent (total more than 10500 km). Seven crew members were awarded with Red Stars. In early 1930th order was given to scientists (who work for military industry), workers and engineers of military plants and factories, test-pilots and even paratroopers for a high-altitude jumps.
I want to show you a picture of a brave lady Alexandra Nikolaeva, who made a jump from 7000 meters with an experimental model of parachute.
And one more suggestion. Maybe you can place better images of order variations. If you want I can provide you with good pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NikolaevaAN1.jpg (40.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by MONDVOR; 07-19-2006 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
redmedals

Hi Doc,
Well done indeed hope to see more from you in the future. Certainly excellent info for anyone who is unfamilliar with the Red Star and it's variations.
Regards,
Ron
Old 07-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #6
HuliganRS

Doc,

The article looks good!

In the begining: In the center of the star is a silver disc with a figure of a Soviet soldier holding a rifle.
I would add that the soldier is holding a legendary rifle that made it through several wars, a Russian Mosin Nagant Bolt Action Rifle.

Rusty.
Member #193
Old 07-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #7
MONDVOR

Well, if you want to go THAT deep into the details, than you also have to mention that the soldier is wearing M 1935 uniform
There is a picture attached, M 1935 uniform is on the left.

Doc, maybe also you should mention on what Mints this order was manufactured, how many of them was totally produced, describe multiple cavaliers of the order (four an five times awarded), describe foreign recipients, describe units that were awarded.
So far your article looks similar to McDaniel's resarch described in his famous Red Book. But you can greatly improve this information, you can add lots of new information.
I can help you with data, let me know if you are interested...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1978.jpg (27.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
Riley1965

Feedback on article

Andrey,
Most all of the pictures were loaned to me by Paul McDaniel. The description below each picture of a variation does mention which mint it came from. At the end I made sure to add pictures of mutiple recipients. I guess I could have wrote more about the recipients and the mints. However, this article was designed from concept to be a basic introduction to the ORS. A primer for a new collector.

I will consider the mints and recipients. Thanks for the critique
Ron, Latinmajorac & Matteti Thank You for your input!!! It is much appreciated.
Regards,
Doc

Last edited by Riley1965; 07-20-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
MONDVOR

Sorry Doc, maybe it was small misunderstanding (because of my bad English). I checked the article once again but didn't find information about Mints. For example the Stars made on MZPP (Moscow factory "Platinapribor") should be described as a separate variation because they have unique mintmark and very sloppy handwriting in serial number
Most of the Stars in WWII period were made in Krasnokamsk Mint, but before the war they produced on Moscow Mint.
And one more little suggestion, you can add information about the designer of the order.
Anyway, for the basic introduction the article is just great
Old 07-20-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Riley1965

Feedback on article

Andrey,
This confusion was on my part. I now understand what you were referring to. Thanks for your input

Best,
Doc