The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM   #391
Bundtrock
Banned

Re: Surprised At Russian Federation Government

CtahhR

I thought it must be illegal, I just was not for sure.

I really LOVE AND CHERISH mine, I have them pinned to a towel in my computer room where I look at them everyday, sometimes I will take one and wear it when going out. lol None of mine are researched, when I focus on one, I think about who the recipient might have been, what he or she did to earn the award, I can spend hours doing this.
Bundtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #392
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

When you get an item researched you can put speculation to rest (usually).

I read an article recently where a Russian man was "caught" wearing his father's Medal "Veteran Of Labour" (A very very commonplace award). First the trial apparently had to confirm that he had come into ownership of the award legally (he had as he had inherited it from his father) and then sentenced him to 6 months.

This man was wearing this inherited award in tribute to his own father and got the book thrown at him. Think what other folks would get?

There are a vast amount of opinion on the wearing other other people's awards which also raise cultural and national differences but that's already been gone over in detail on the forum.

Where I come from you wear your own on the left and someone else's on the right. It would be considerably more difficult if we had awards that are supposed to be worn both sides of the chest. I certainly don't know the regulations on wearing someone else's neck awards here though - it is not a situation that arises.

Each nation has its own laws, rules and etiquette.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #393
Bundtrock
Banned

Being a native Texan and boy can you tell from my speech, lol, I am positive there can be no doubt that I am not the recipient of any Soviet Order / Medal / Badge. I wear them occasionally because of the interesting conversations they can engender, not in an attempt to fool someone into thinking that I received one in my own right.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:00 PM   #394
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I've usually found having an Order or Medal (in a plastic envelope) in an inside pocket can always perk up conversation on retrieval.
I once got the "Red Banner" out for an old fly boy and he couldn't believe it. He'd be talking about Red Banner this and that for years but never even seen one. Keeping them in a pocket also makes them less desirable to those who might want to take it home for themselves.

I was once at a militaria fayre and I was haggling over some Medals and the seller asked me if I had anything rare in my collection so I pulled out an Order Of Kim Il Sung and asked "Like that?".

I've always found having a lot of pockets very handy.

Also when you have these con merchants who want to buy your "Gold, Silver, Watches, Heirlooms and Medals" for pennies on the dollar and I am at a loose end I go to them with obscure pieces and play with them. You don't always have to spend money to have fun.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM   #395
Bundtrock
Banned

I bet you have a lot of fun! lol

I think I will try your suggestion, I most definitely do NOT want to do anything unethical or disrespectful.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #396
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I believe if you watch some very early episodes of "The Colbert Report" even Stephen Colbert under the guise of a central African dictator can be seen wearing a few Soviet awards (amongst dozens of other randomly collected awards). I'm talking early days as in interviews with cartoons from "Freak Show" and still friendly with Barney Frank.