The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #771
charlet

Re: Value

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaestro2 View Post
For sure, Marc. But here we have very limited access to Russian supply. And when we do have access, we bear a hefty premium.
well I'm learning the evil langage - i.e. russian -, long, painfull but excitating task; I explore others forms of ebay concurrents -allegro, aukro, molotok; I'm completing my confirmation letter for Western union, and let's go, I have my access. They 're happy to trade, neither more polite nor discourteous than the average ebay seller, and they even have electricity. And if prices are outrageous about shipping or other, then... you pass on.
charlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2014, 10:54 PM   #772
Keith

Re: Prices/Value Discussion.

What happens now that the Ruble has collapsed more than 50% this year and the economy is set to implode - what happens to the price of items from the USSR? Will we see great deals coming out of Russia again like the late 90s?
My guess is that the premium items won't lose much value, but the mid range items will become much cheaper.
Does anyone else have an opinion about this?
Keith
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:06 PM   #773
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I'd also expect research costs to come down rather drastically too (with the ruble not costing as much)...

Some "Commonplace" Medals I've been offered recently;

6 Digit "For Bravery" Medals ~$20, Documented Caucasus Medals for ~$25 , 6 Digit "For Combat Merits" Medals ~$10, Documented Stalingrad Medals ~$35, Documented Japan Medals ~$15. More reasonable indeed!

All of us collecting will benefit. Those who were "investing" won't. Some dealers may have to take a loss on some inventory but that's commodities.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #774
Eryk

I think I've read this entire thread three times in my decade+ being a member, this being the third.

My thoughts.

The current crisis in the RF will not be another 1998; the nation is simply in a much stronger position than 16 years ago. So there won't be any rush to liquidate people's collections.

That said, prices of low/mid level awards (up to OPW) have continued to fall in 2014, at least on English sites. Don't see any reason for that to reverse any time soon.

As for $20 6 digit Bravery, et. al. (assuming in good shape, original suspension, etc) they join the ranks of awards spoken of down through the years here - much like Bigfoot apparently lots of folks have seen them but I'll be damned if I've ever spotted them. So they remain in the realm of myth for me.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #775
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

When I say "6 digits" I certainly mean closer to 999,999 than 111,111. Nothing below 8##,### yet. Original condition but not completely unabused. As I have always said, patience is utmost when seeking a bargain.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #776
Eryk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
As I have always said, patience is utmost when seeking a bargain.
Truer words have never been posted.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:21 AM   #777
charlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
I think I've read this entire thread three times in my decade+ being a member, this being the third.

My thoughts.

The current crisis in the RF will not be another 1998; the nation is simply in a much stronger position than 16 years ago. So there won't be any rush to liquidate people's collections.

That said, prices of low/mid level awards (up to OPW) have continued to fall in 2014, at least on English sites. Don't see any reason for that to reverse any time soon.

As for $20 6 digit Bravery, et. al. (assuming in good shape, original suspension, etc) they join the ranks of awards spoken of down through the years here - much like Bigfoot apparently lots of folks have seen them but I'll be damned if I've ever spotted them. So they remain in the realm of myth for me.
Most awards came from Ukraine and Baltic states, not Russia. Towards 2000, it cames a bit from Belarus. But not so much from Russia.
ANd about million-awarded medals, high prices beyond 50usd were an anormality, a product of speculation.
charlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 AM   #778
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

The Baltic States are still very often the main suppliers for those who haven't been doing their homework!

As researching by name is rather difficult if the recipient has a common name I tend to collect the "minorities" of the USSR, Georgians, Armenians, Moldavians, Uzbeks, etc. so most of my sources are Georgia, Armenia, Moldova and Uzbekistan. Rarely directly from Russia (and there are some extremely cheap bits currently coming out of Belarus). The laws they also have in place in the Russian Federation don't make them easy to be the primary source of supplies for collectors in the west.

The actions of "Russia" that are reported and seen as negative in the west will of course have a direct influence on all things "Soviet". "A "New Cold War" enemies pushing into Europe"'s history isn't going to be appealing as the "Heroic destroyers of the Reich". This will cause Soviet items from whatever source to retreat in price or at very least demand.

Political systems, parties, nations, societies, cultures, opinions, history, "truth" and more all bend and change with time. Ten years ago Bush and Putin were best mates against terrorism, now there is supposed to be the "new cold war". In ten years the situation will be completely different again but in which way we don't know.

I never buy for "speculation" or "investment" but always to retain the history and honour of the items and their recipients, no matter what their actions. There are many awards in the collection that I can not condone the actions of the recipient, or often the entire regime, then there are other cases where I didn't personally like the recipient but the action was indeed outstanding. It is not my place to judge the people or the awards but to preserve them.

Lots of people like to shout things like "look what I bought, aren't I the greatest?" but the simple answer is no. The item may be the greatest, the price may have been the best deal going but this does not make any difference at all to the actual award or recipient.

Lower prices means to me more purchasing power but it certainly doesn't mean the items themselves are held in any less regard. If lower prices means less production of fakes then that is the greatest victory for us all.

Money and awards are two completely different entities, let the people who want money have the money for whatever purpose but those who are going to honour and maintain the awards, rather than try and exploit them as a tool are those who should be custodian.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:42 AM   #779
shotgun01

an interesting website i use sometimes is "the wayback machine" Internet Archive: Wayback Machine

you can check what prices were like last year or 15years ago. ($17 for a ww2 era red star? sounds like a good deal to me )
shotgun01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #780
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Over the last fortnight or so I've noticed a good reduction in prices of completely legitimate items coming out of Ukraine. I've been offered Red Stars with low 1###### numbers in as good a condition as something 70 years old will be for under $50 for example (although the prices of almost everything has taken a dive).

I was thinking about this. Is there a sudden wave of super fakes or something else? So I looked into it and found out why prices are dropping. On 15th May 2015 the Ukrainian government decreed that all Nazi and Communist symbols are now illegal - Soviet awards are covered in symbols. Obviously the items in Ukraine will be moving west and not east so expect prices to keep falling.

I'll certainly be changing my buying habits and budget accordingly. Some third party sellers in the west will find it difficult to turn a profit on items that were purchased previously with prices at the source falling sharply recently (and will probably keep falling). Happy days for collectors.