The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:39 PM   #371
Norm Braddock
Banned

Re: Contraband laws in the Ukraine?

I was once told by importer of Ukrainian goods here that Soviet awards can be obtained through them. The reason I did not capitalize on this is I don't know what she was bringing in, the cost, real or fake. I did mention that it is illegal to import such things but she just smiled and laughed and said it wasn't a concern.
Norm Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #372
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aironmeiden View Post
But in the case of mail (mailing an order or a medal)...? Who is in trouble?
With such a law are we talking about something like international traffic of art object?
From experience with people sending me items from Russia (unbeknown to me) I've noticed extensive packaging and all sorts of subterfuge. One guy sent me a set of irreproachable service MOOP medals that he had hidden in the lining in the sweatband of a 1991 issue field visor. I had to email him to find out why he sent me a cheap hat instead of the medals I paid for and he had to tell me that I had to tear apart the sweatband to get them - he'd sewn them into the lining. Others have taken to wrapping things in aluminum foil, but from what I understand, that won't beat an even halfway decent scanner.

As for responsibility in this case, it would fall back on the shipper because the RF isn't going to put out a warrant for the recipient and it is the seller who is violating the law by attempting to move the objects out of the borders of Russia (or anywhere that similar laws are in place). I've had sellers also put fake return addresses, but that can be difficult because you have to show ID at the Post Office when filling out customs forms (at least you are supposed to anyway).

I hope that answers your question.

Phillip
Old 02-12-2011, 06:46 AM   #373
aironmeiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by deValcourt View Post
From experience with people sending me items from Russia (unbeknown to me) I've noticed extensive packaging and all sorts of subterfuge. One guy sent me a set of irreproachable service MOOP medals that he had hidden in the lining in the sweatband of a 1991 issue field visor. I had to email him to find out why he sent me a cheap hat instead of the medals I paid for and he had to tell me that I had to tear apart the sweatband to get them - he'd sewn them into the lining. Others have taken to wrapping things in aluminum foil, but from what I understand, that won't beat an even halfway decent scanner.

As for responsibility in this case, it would fall back on the shipper because the RF isn't going to put out a warrant for the recipient and it is the seller who is violating the law by attempting to move the objects out of the borders of Russia (or anywhere that similar laws are in place). I've had sellers also put fake return addresses, but that can be difficult because you have to show ID at the Post Office when filling out customs forms (at least you are supposed to anyway).

I hope that answers your question.

Phillip
Yes Phil you answer very good.
However i did know that Ukraine has such a regulation on that so i tend to not buy expensive items from that country.
Happened twice that the customs (Ukraine) opened the package and then resealed it... so definitely they check mail!
aironmeiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #374
jefflgarrison

Had a friend post me a Red Star with the award book. The star was embedded in a child's toy car and the award book was in a small puzzle box the same size as the award booklet. Cleaver way to send.

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
jefflgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:45 PM   #375
dav1941

I've had medals sent to me incased in a carved wood block that exactly outlined the medals. Still makes a nice case.

I know in the past Ukraine was strict on exportation of this stuff but thought their rules had slacken recently. Not sure if they still have an 'antiquities' guy sitting around customs anymore checking stuff?
dav1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #376
RedMaestro2

Re: Soviet Order & Medal Shopping in Ukraine

I assume exporting medals from Ukraine is still illegal?

If yes, than how does so much on ebay escape the country?
RedMaestro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #377
Bob

When I was there a few years ago I recall that in Kiev there's an area with market stalls (it's an older part of Kiev, cobble stoned road, in city center) where there were also medals dealers.

Buyer beware though...
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #378
Henry Sakaida

When I was in Kiev, I found a small coin in a park and decided to keep it as a souvenir. I tossed it into my suitcase. It was detected by the airport x-ray and the Customs official said, "Coin! Coin!" He went through my baggage and found it and said, "No! No coin!" And I went on my way. Had I missed my flight, I would have been screwed!!!

Just before I left, the neighbor of my host came to say goodbye and offered me a bunch of common medals on a bar, about 5 or 6 really common stuff. Luckily, I declined. I could get them here in the US.

If you want to tempt faith and get a real Adrenalin rush, try sneaking out a medal. They would love to make an example out of you. Then tell us about your nightmare experience with Ukrainian customs and the hefty fine you had to pay. They could care less if you were ignorant about their export laws.
Henry Sakaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #379
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

My little tip on getting coins through customs (that maybe shouldn't be going through customs) is to mix it in with your lose change. Rarely do the officials pick through your shrapnel. I certainly have large numbers of items that weren't supposed to cross borders etc. but that is one of the thrills of the hobby - until you get caught!

There was the American who was gaoled for 2 years for trying to take coins out of Russia. Sometimes it is easier to buy items from dealers closer to home after someone else has already taken all the risks.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #380
EricFG

But still, how can we buy so many coins or medals, via ebay, from Ukraine?
Is it because they are 'dealers' somehow and that money's flowing back in to country?