The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 04-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
janes medals

Re: Help identifying Period Soviet union coat of arms

Thank you for the input. By the way, this button with a few more like this, plus the 1980s aluminum versions came from Moscow around 1995. Either from old Arbat or Izmailovo flea market. By holding and looking at this brass button, I don't see how someone would go through the process of making this a "fantasy" piece since the machine process is perfect and would take very specific and expensive equipment to manufacture this. Especially being made in the early 1950s. I believe we got these for 10 for $1. Back in those days, you could trade used Levi's jeans and old runners for orders, medals and badges! But it would be cool if Elvis's picture was on it! Thanks CtahhR for that analogy......
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2018, 12:53 AM   #12
Al-muell

That could also be a button made for the SovietUnion by outside contractor - East Germany did some stuff for the Soviet Army (like ammo poaches) and there are known privately made visor caps from GDR as well.
Peopleoutside Soviet Union would not know the meaning of the ribbons and would see asymetry as a mistake that needs correcting.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:15 AM   #13
janes medals

Thank you for your reply. This does sound like a possibility as just today, I found this article doing a google search. It's attached as a photo. It says that during WWII, the US also manufactured millions of buttons, without dates, and sent them to the USSR! But I bet they were regular, enlisted men's buttons. I can also understand that the US might not have understood the banners, if they made the coat of arms ones as well, but East Germany sure would have known better. Plus my button is dated 1954 and the other only one I've seen is now on "escam" dated 1953 from the same factory, wherever that is. The seller has it listed as a 1953 Soviet Button, but in her description says it has only 15 banners but it also has 17 like mine. The strange thing is you would think that they would have for sure gotten the button coat of arms made correctly for a Marshal or General! These were not just ordinary enlisted men's buttons, right?! But unless someone knows of the factory 0T7 that is on the back of the button, we may never know the truth. This has been a fun experience! Thanks all for your input.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Soviet button info (2).jpg (43.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-08-2018, 02:47 AM   #14
Al-muell

The US-made LL buttons I have seen were only the non-general ones (with star and H&S) and they were made of plastic-like material.
If, for example an officer serving abroad (like in DDR for example) was promoted to general, or simply the uniform reform was implemented duringhis service there, he would as usual get thematerial and money to go to a GUT store to have a newuniform tailored for him. With the central planning, I find it verylikely that a voentorg outside USSR would not have any stock of general's buttons, so they would have to order it localy. So, a design goes to the factory and they see that the seal on them is asymetric - so to make it look better, and correct the "mistake", they add one more ribbon. Noone cares - or takes a notice for that matter. This is how I see it, but that doesn't mean it had to be that way. Nor did it have to be in GDR. The button actually makes me think of Czechoslovak buttons.

And if they knew... Well, my parents (and to some extent, so did I) grew up in the Warsaw Pact country, they had obligatory Russian classes and were quite well educated, but still they had no idea what the ribbons on the Soviet seal stood for. Nor did my grandfather who spent a few years in USSR and even had a short service period in the Red Army. That wasn't a very common knowledge, unless someone was educated from the early years in the USSR.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #15
janes medals

Thank you Al! Wonderful explanation and history. So glad to hear your story and it makes perfect sense.
Best regards,
SJ
Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #16
desantnik
Forum Moderator

To comment on the DDR manufacturing issue - I have several DDR-produced veteran badges, some of which have spelling/language errors not immediately obvious to a non-Cyrillic reading producer and apparently passing some kind of quality control.

Examples of the DDR badges are on page 38, 54 of Soviet Second World War Veteran Badges. The error is on 25, forgetting the "cup" above "Й" - a mistake that would not have been made by a literate Russian speaker.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:18 PM   #17
janes medals

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!