The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Soviet States > Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic > Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic Ministry Of Internal Affairs

Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #1
Greg Collins

Badge "Excellent Militia MVD".

Recently acquired a few fairly rare badges from Pridnestrovie. The first is of a Soviet design we're all familiar with, the Honours Policeman of Militia of Ministry of Internal Affairs, PMR. This particular variation, with areas of enamel within the State seal, is for senior management and had a run of 100 pieces. The regular issue was the same but without the enamel in the State seal.

Struck in brass with full reverse, screw back and plain nut:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVD Otlichnik Front.JPG (111.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg MVD Otlichnik Back.JPG (104.2 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
deValcourt

Moldovan MVD badge - PMN/PMR

This piece just arrived and is clearly an early post-Soviet MVD badge. Because of the state seal with the hammer and sickle, I am only sure that it is from Moldova. Beyond that (like for how long this was awarded, if it still is, etc.), I do not know.

This thread has some great historical information about the seal and explained the dilema I found myself in after I got closeups of the letters in the banner of the seal - "PMN" at the center and "PMR" on both sides - http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...an-badges.html

It is just a little larger than the soviet aluminum badge (last picture) and appears to be made of brass considering the much heavier weight compared to it's predecessor. No mint marks either.

Phillip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8225.jpg (119.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8226.jpg (120.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8229.jpg (123.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 11-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
Greg Collins

Re: Moldovan MVD badge - PMN/PMR

The initials on the State seal of the Pridnestrovian Moldavian Republic (Pridnestrovie for short) are the same initials of the country written in the three primary languages spoken there: Russian, Ukrainian and Moldovan (Romanian). Nice badges, by the way.:thumbsup:thumbsup
Old 11-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
deValcourt

Thanks Greg. Strange how things seem to work, eh?;)
Old 11-29-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Greg Collins

I have re-read this thread and I'd like to point out that these badges are not Moldovan- they are Pridnestrovan. Were they Moldovan, the seal would bear the bull's head motif and the colours would be red, yellow and blue (pretty much the same as Romania). As they are Pridnestrovan, the hammer and sickle is used along with the colours red, green and red (pretty much the same as the Moldavian SSR). General Suvorov's image is used by Pridnestrovie these days (on just about everything including paper money) and the image of him on horseback is from the statue outside of the government building (see post #4). Two separate countries now, and on less than cordial terms.

As Pridnestrovie has only existed as a separate nation since 1992, I believe these long periods mentioned (85 and 90 Years) go back even farther than the Moldavian SSR period and, given Pridnestrovie's location, probably dip into Ukraine's history. It was Stalin that redrew the lines which grouped what is now Pridnestrovie with what is now Moldova into the Moldavian SSR, and this was after WWII.

Last edited by Greg Collins; 11-29-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Greg Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Greg, they are Moldovan. Even Transnistria or Pridnestrovie calls itself the the Transnistrian Republic of Moldova - hence the PMR. Not a single country in the world, even Russia, has recognized Transnistria as a country, which is more than could be said for Abkhazia and Southern Ossetia.
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 10:39 AM   #7
Greg Collins

Sorry Paul, but I'm a "screw the rest of the world" kinda guy. Own government, own currency, denied entry- via Border Guard- to the Moldovan President... if it walks like a duck...

Of course, you have to realize that as a Virginian, I sincerely and emphatically believe that, during the period of 1861 and 1865, the place I was born and now live was in a different country. Many would argue the point, so I guess it all depends on your perspective; as it would were I a Pridnestrovan.

Anyway, the distinction between Moldova and Pridnestrovie is important when considering ODM's and badges because of both the seals and national colour differences. Whether one believes it is the same country or not, there is a decided difference in the insignia and it makes sense here to cite that difference to place the item geographically and, for that matter, culturally.

Last edited by Greg Collins; 11-29-2009 at 11:08 AM.
Greg Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
deValcourt

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantnik View Post
Even Transnistria or Pridnestrovie calls itself the the Transnistrian Republic of Moldova - hence the PMR.
Greg, if it's any comfort (though I doubt it will be), I'm just learning about the region and the seller said they were from "Transnistrian Republic of the PMR" and since I don't split hairs I just go by the easiest route (i.e. seller ID and what I can read on the award). I admire your attention to detail and especially the fact that you have managed to get a grasp on the complex history of Romania and other countries in that region.:thumbsup

Side note: when I was in grad scholl in SW Virginia, the folks there certainly didn't want West Virginia back and had lots of insulting jokes about that "break-away" state.:D

Phillip
Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
Greg Collins

Well Phil,

The really funny thing is that almost no one outside the PMR seems to know what to call the Republic, even though it's right there in the initials. Calling it the Transnistrian Republic of the PMR is like calling us the United States of the USA. Basically saying the same thing twice. Everyone, however, seems to agree it's a Republic; although not "officially" recognizing the split, people are, in fact, recognizing it as a separate country in their speech and, therefore, in their minds.

Yes, the history of this area is very interesting and compelling- watching boundaries and alliances change and cultures move. I could go on but I believe we've really gone off topic at this point and, yes, I believe I've heard most of those jokes.:D
Old 11-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
deValcourt

I'm mainly interested in the region because they, along with Belorussia, are the two that seem to have kept many of the Soviet symbols or "symbolic characteristics" after 1991 - only from what I've actually seen, so take it easy on me guys if there are more. I only have so many hours in a day to devote to studying the history of the USSR, let alone the present.:rolleyes:

Phillip