The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 07-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
Разведка

Re: Russian Language course

It's a fun language to learn. I highly recommend Rosetta Stone if you can get it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
marsino

Why not make essential course here too?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #23
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Rosetta Stone is good - but!

The courses are very linear. Unlike real conversation the course never gives you a real curve ball.

That being said there is no-one in the world that knows the meaning of every word in a living language. Those medical terms really push all barriers.

I've recently had a time translating doctors' notes into English from Russian - as if the Doctors' handwriting isn't bad enough to start, the strange terminology is something else - specially since certain diseases are attributed different "discoverers" names in different states.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
Riley1965

I'm looking forward to the class. I need to start rom the beginning ,learning the alphabet better than I know it now, learning basic phrases etc.. With my memory/retention problems and short focus time doing anything now I need the structure of the class to help me. The rest will come in time and with more study. Reading citations, ARCs etc. will come in time.

Doc
Old 07-19-2013, 05:04 PM   #25
Разведка

I agree - living there for one year taught me more than 15 years of study - and even then, I felt that there was so much I still didn't understand. Rosetta Stone has helped keep it from deteriorating too badly.

I found that reading Russian translations of my favorite authors or movies is also a fun way to practice - I've learned a lot of colloquialisms and slang that way. Vasha-Kniga.com - Russian Books in USA has some great stuff.

Best of luck, and have fun!
Old 07-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #26
HoydenR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Разведка View Post
It's a fun language to learn. I highly recommend Rosetta Stone if you can get it.
I am learning too. I can read Cyrillic and write it, but I can't translate. My husband, Paul R., got me Rosetta Stone for Christmas.

I've used Cyrillic as a sort of cipher to scribble notes for myself for the last 20 years or so.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #27
SergioV

Hello fellow collectors
if you want to learn Russian, this site will help you
is simple understandable and it's free

Lessons — LearnRussian

Regards
Old 09-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #28
Henry Sakaida

Russian is not a very difficult language because it is phonetic. Don't let the Cyrillic alphabet scare you, there are only a few weird letters. Once you mastered the Cyrillic, you can simply use google translate (machine translation, about 80% accurate). I use this method to decipher the biographies of HSU in the 2-volume set. After a while, you can pretty much guess what the bios say because there are so many familiar words you recognize.

I try to watch a Soviet/Russian war drama online every week, just to get
familiar with the language. My favorite ones are BALLAD OF A SOLDIER and MOSCOW DOESN'T BELIEVE IN TEARS. Both are classics. The last one isn't about war, it's a drama about 4 girlfriends in Moscow and how each took a different path in life. You don't even have to know Russian to understand it.

Forget Rosetta Stone...I bought it and discarded it. It would be a good supplement if you are taking a course, but not on its own. I suppose it would be great if you were sentenced to 20 year in a Turkish prison and there was nothing to do.

The best way to learn Russian is to hire a private tutor! But it is expensive.
I pay $35 lesson via SKYPE. It's like being there. I learned more in 3 months than I did in 2 year of high school Russian! My tutor's grandfather was a HSU.
She got her degree in English and teaching at Moscow State University.

You'll get more out of collecting Soviet awards if you know a little about the language. You'll get even more if you go to Russia and the former republics and visit the museums and battlefields! The people are friendly and curious about foreigners. It's a good way to practice your Russian.

HENRY
Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

After playing with other alphabets (Georgian my new favourite) Cyrillic and Latin is basically the same. It can be picked up in a day but the handwriting throws many a curveball.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #30
Henry Sakaida

DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE CYRILLIC ALPHABET!

If you collect Soviet/Russian orders and medals, it will go a long way if you learned rudimentary Russian! I know a collector who can look at the biographies of heroes in the encyclopedia of HEROES OF THE SOVIET UNION, and read the biography with 80% accuracy. He can only speak a few words of Russian. He can tell you the person's birthdate, birthplace, the nationality, where he fought, his rank, when he received the honor, when he was demobilized, and when and where he died.

Cyrillic Russian may look intimidating, but it shouldn't be. It's phonetic based like English, and there are only a few weird letters.

The Russian internet is fantastic! You can go to google.ru or yandex.ru
How do you think I was able to find out about people I write about??!!

I have a MAC. I can access the Cyrillic keyboard on it. Then I go to google translate. I type in the Russian word and I get a translation. Accuracy varies, but it's enough for me to get the idea. I go to www.warheores.ru and I can select "translate English" and it will translate the entire article for me!

You have a whole new world out there at your fingertips! Sometimes, the medal you have may have belonged to a notable person! I bought a Labor Hero medal (HSL), and typed in the recipient's name onto yandex.ru and was rewarded with a lot of biographical information including photos of the person!

Last edited by Henry Sakaida; 03-28-2016 at 11:12 AM.