The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

View Poll Results: Repair or not
Leave the damn thing alone! Don't mess with what looks like a period repair 12 54.55%
Have the solder removed to make the serial number readable 9 40.91%
Repair the enamel only 0 0%
Remove the solder AND repair the enamel 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2004, 08:46 PM   #121
Dolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nota Bene

I am also against cleaning unless it is absolutely necessary to save an item from even more damage, f.i. to remove that green stuff from a bronze coin.

Alexei
Alexei,

That's exactly what I'd like to know: how to remove that "green stuff" and that kind of "red rust" from bronze Medals?
With some professional cleaning products for coins? Which ones would you advise?

Thanks a lot,

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2004, 08:52 PM   #122
Dolf

Fast reply!

Alexei,

Thanks a lot for the super fast reply! In the meantime I was reading again this entire thread and found that reply to Monroe, but you were faster

That's not my Medal, just a pic from a seller that made me wonder what to do if I get one like this some day.
Any suggestions?

Anyway this thanks a lot too for letting me know this one is a fake
I didn't like the look anyway

Thanks a lot,

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 09:08 PM   #123
HuliganRS

Here's a pic after a few minutes of break dust application...

Should I do more?

Do I just let it sit for a few years?

Thanks,

Rusty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0144 (Small).JPG (35.2 KB, 90 views)
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 02:15 AM   #124
sovvisor
Bearer of the Red Star

a little help

I have been collecting coins for a whilw and I can give you one good advice. Put the order near unpainted oakwood for half a year and you will get very nice black patina on your silver. It gets nice and even and are not artificially applied.
Best
Old 01-23-2004, 04:40 AM   #125
Tretov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nota Bene
Rusty,

Cadillacs and BMWs usually collect a lot of brake dust on the weel spikes
Rusty,
I can go out and collect some of the dirt from my BMW for you on a piece of tissue... Postal and handling applies as well as insurance (optional)

/Patrik
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 10:32 AM   #126
Dave

For less than $10, you can get a bottle of what they call Silver/Black, made by Griffith. It's a sulfur-based liquid, and, after several coatings, will give a nice chemical patina. (This is the same stuff as used by most of the fakers) You can buy it from most jewelry supply stores; I bought the bottle I have (I wanted to play with it and figure out just what the "chemical patina" looked like) from Alpha Supply in Bremerton, Washington (phone: 800-ALPHA11) and I think it cost me around $6 before shipping.

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #127
HuliganRS

Dave,

Can you post a pic of your results?

Patrik:

MY cousins BMW is only 5min away...

Thanks,

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:27 AM   #128
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuliganRS
Dave,

Can you post a pic of your results?
I actually haven't played with the stuff yet on a Soviet award. Unfortunately, I sold off all my undocumented single awards over the past month, and don't want to mess with polishing and then re-patina'ing an award to a group. I'll keep looking around my collection for an award to try it out on though, and will post up before and after pics on this thread.

--Dave

Okay, here's my pet project for the evening. I HATED to do this to a nice award, but I had to remind myself... This is for EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES!

So, I started out with this nice 3rd class Glory, with original patina...

Step one was to remove the old patina. I did this using MAAS silver polish. The medal DID shine up quite nicely!

Once the award was washed with soap and water, now it was time to apply the chemical patina. I used a q-tip to administer the Silver/Black liquid onto the order. I snapped this photo during the process as it darkened within seconds!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glory1.jpg (47.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Glory2.jpg (49.5 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Glory3.jpg (21.3 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 04-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:45 AM   #129
Dave

Here's a pic of the order with the single coat of chemical patina, once it had dried. It was dark and rather "chalky" looking.

Finally, I took a silver polishing cloth to the Glory. It took away the chalky look, and replaced it with a shine. Unfortunately, even though I tried to bring out some silver highlights, they wouldn't appear! I rubbed as hard as I could, and the color was still even.

So, what did I learn? It's pretty easy to put on a chemical patina, but it comes out very grey, and very even. If I didn't have the benefit of experience, I'd say that the even, dark-grey color would be a dead giveaway of a fake patina. However, since I've owned groups with the same even colored patina (and they were 100% original) I'm not too sure what conclusions to draw. I DID NOT notice the "rainbow" of the chemical patina, as is so often cited as a "dead giveaway" of being faked. Strange.

I'll keep fooling with this order (since I've already taken the patina off once!) and see what else I can do with it. I'll keep you posted!

--Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glory4.jpg (49.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Glory5.jpg (45.5 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 04-01-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-24-2004, 07:08 AM   #130
Taz

Great Interest!

Dave keep us posted!

I,ve been reading this Thread with great interest because unfortunatly a lot of the Orders and Medals in my Collection seem to have been cleaned or polished at some time in there history.
Some I must admit unknowingly my me to give the display a Uniform appearance but most before I purchased them.
So keep up with the Experimenting and let us know how it goes!

Eddie.