The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Republics Of The Soviet Union

Republics Of The Soviet Union Awards and interesting items from the individual Soviet Republics (Союзных Республик СССР) 9th November 1917 - 25th December 1991.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Aharim

Edits to Mekhonoshin’s book or new badges

To start off, regarding edits or new badges, I have attached two pictures (front and back) of CEK/TsIK badge for Ukraine in bronze, which should be 22.1.4. But if you look at the pattern shown here it does not match 22.1.4 it matches more closely either 22.1.2 or 3. I have multiple bronze badges like this. They all have the same gear shaped nut same pattern, same size.

22.1.2 and 22.1.3 are both supposed to be silver and differ based on location of tail of ‘Ts’ (either centred between legs of”K” or beneath the left leg.) IF you compare the book to this badge this looks more like 22.1.2 (which again is supposed to be silver). So either this is a new unlisted type or he has the pictures identified backwards?

I will put links here to some of the pictures we have shown show badges not in the book, some of which have blanks and some not.

A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ukr-16-um-802-obv(2)_edited-1.jpg (90.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Ukr-16-um-802-rev(2).jpg (95.8 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 09-06-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Aharim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #2
Aharim

Re: Edits to Mekhonoshin’s book or new badges

Picture of 21.1.1 German ASSR early TsIK in Gothic German/Cyrillic Russian. There is a bronze badge that looks just like 21.1.3 (second picture). That could be 21.1.2 or 21.1.4.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Ger-11-obv(2).jpg (91.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of Ger-12-v-14-obv.jpg (83.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
Aharim

Badge for Armenia 38.1.2. This badge is un-numbered but came with document from 1929 (6th Convocation). Note rays under enamel. This badge is manufactured with waves in the profile (the dark like down the center is caused by cross lighting on the waves From above looking at the top of the badge it would look like ~

There is a 4th known CEK/TsIK badge which looks alot like 38.1.1 but with rays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Arm-12-edit3-obv.jpg (97.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-02-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
Aharim

Lithuania 33.2.1. or maybe 2.3 ??

While this did not come with document it did come from a reliable source. It is in bronze/gilt. The rays do no match the badge shown as 2.2. Check rays against "I" second line.

M says badge 2.3 is in silver with mint mark but badge is absent. IF that badge is really in silver then this would be 2.1. otherwise this might be 2.3.

It is noted that Latvia red badges were in bronze, Estonia red badges after 1st convocation were in bronze, so it would seem bronze would be expected in Lithuania. ? ? ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Lith-21-edits2-obv.jpg (69.4 KB, 14 views)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #5
Aharim

M describes two mint mark variations in use in 1980 and 1985 identifed by him as "E" and "Zh" (in their Cyrillic equivalents) variations.

E = MMD as block letters with the "D" having square/flat top

Zh = Mark as a circular seal

For the USSR, badge 2.2.2 for the 11th Convocation is supposed to be with "Zh" variation (circular seal). However, I have only seen 11th convocation with E variation. Below are three badges from the 11th convocation with MMD.

These badges all were with document and 485 was cased. Formerly, I saw at least two more badges with document but cannot locate those pictures at the moment.

While this may seem an insignificant variation/edit, those missing badge pictues were of the deputy badges of Nikolai Ogarkov! It could affect the value/authenticity of those badges were they to be compared to a standard that was not correct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of USSR-XI-432-rev1.jpg (74.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of USSR-XI-485-rev2.jpg (76.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of USSR-XI-485-rev3.jpg (77.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Aharim

Armenia 1.0 or 1.4

The pictured badge looks a lot like 1.1 but with rays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of Arm-10-obv1.jpg (79.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #7
Aharim

Abkhazi badge 2.2+

The first badge shown here is "like" Abkhazi 2.2 except that the hammer and sickle are not enamel covered. They penetrate completely though the enamel. Mint mark is MD variation "b" narrow top. Screw nut is small size of 1947, badge is with document(s) but group includes both 2nd and 3rd convocation. Georgia flag changed 26 April, 1951, so if there were a session before that date this could be 3rd convocation recalled and replaced. Except 3rd convocation is suposed to be mint variation "V"

For comparison, second badge is normal 2.2 which has enamel over the hammer and sickle.

Note also sickle shows signs of tarnish on handle which would mean that it was gilt and intended to show through. This is not a mistake badge, just one more badge between the cracks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abkh-22a-MD-b-obv-2.jpg (75.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Abk-22-MD-b--obv-2.jpg (65.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-05-2008, 09:06 AM   #8
Aharim

Attached - picture of Estonian Badge from 7th convocation with light blue opaque enamel. All badges that I have seen from that convocation were opaque and light blue. This variation is not shown in M and Likhitsky only showed reverse in his book. Bagde marked TJ 7
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy Esti-opaque-obv2.jpg (67.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
Aharim

The Dagestan issue of multiple badges that look almost the same also applies to Belarus. Belarus 1.1 is described as currently not able to confirm. That may be because there are at least two known sizes for badges of that design. Badges have been seen with dimensions of 13.5mm x 27mm and larger at approximately 17mm x 34mm. Similarly size (as well as proof mark) is a key determinant of the difference between Tadjik badges 1.3 and 1.4.

There is similarly a variant based on size of German Villages Supreme Soviet which is believed to be a duplicate or replacement "of the era" rather than later copy.

But it doesn't do much to show more badges of the same design as already included, just differing in size.

I'll come back later to show more badges. Its time to address documents.
Old 07-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
Aharim

Comrade "M" beat me to it with better data (charts et al) than I could do from my location. I am a student of the nationalities and wanted the badges to learn/demonstrate the history of the "peoples." You can tell the history of the peoples by the badges. Change of text/language tells of end of localization (1928 - 1939) and return to localization (1959 - 1963), liquidation of republic, re-establishment of republic. Its all in the badges.

I actually have written (as I mentioned somewhere in a post) 130+ pages of text with descriptions of the nationalities who, what, where, why the changes etc. as if to Western readers who would have no clue what a Mordvin was much less that the Southern Osettians reputedly spoke Iron Osetian but that the language had apparently died out as separate by the 1940's - 50's! (If I do not write a book I should at least get Doctor of Soviet Peoples!)

Think of this string as my book "For the People," for which copyright would be claimed so please do not use my badges against me. Cite Aharim.

And, Zozlo, from Ukraine, here is one for you.

Next I am adding documents for Member and his document for Presidium, Krim, ASSR!

Three scans, first both documents together - but too small to read
Second - Presidium
Third - Member

As I stated previously, there would be similar documents for every Soviet and every Convocation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doc-Crim-21b.jpg (80.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Doc-Crim-21e.jpg (79.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Doc-Crim-21g.jpg (75.4 KB, 6 views)