The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 12-09-2002, 11:38 PM   #31
medaldude

Show thoughts

Hello All,

This show was worth going to because of meeting the other forum members. I think everybody picked up something. I bought a "Honored Radio Operator of the USSR" badge Type 1946. Post war but early enough to be of quality construction. This is a badge I've wanted.

Picture of badge:

http://soviet-awards.addr.com/forum/...?threadid=1143

Also picked up a book on Soviet helmets and a 1948 dated helmet made by the Leningrad Machine (tank) Building Factory.

Tom
medaldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2003, 07:42 AM   #32
wheats101

Soviet Collectibles Shows??

I was wondering if there are any shows that feature Soviet medals & orders? I attend the OVMS Military Show of Shows every year in Louisville, KY but it seems to be about 75% German items. Do any of the dealers, on this forum, travel to shows? If so when & where?
wheats101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 07:54 AM   #33
DougD

Shows...

I don't do the shows; my clients tend t know what they want and are spread around the world. The shows are by far German oriented, and the non-German collectors are usually looking for very cheap items.

We had an odd situation here back in the early 1990's; we have a show in Union NJ and we had no Soviet dealers before 1991 ( reasonable). Then, because we are so close to NYC, we had loads of them. They would fill a suitcase, come over, set up a table, and sell for rock bottom prices. They would then take the cash and go home. We had one show whera about 20 of the 100 tables were Russians. They just had piles of stuff, boxes of medals, but none of us really knew what we were looking at. I can still remember going through these flashy 1970's generals tunics in a pile for about $180 each when I came across this odd one, in green, with five stars on each collar, sleeve rank and no bards. I had no clue what it was and would never pay the $550 he was asking for it. I bought some admirals tunic from 1970 that is now worth about $20 less then I pais for it. The ugly tunic was a M1940 General of the Army, now worth about $2k!! But, in fairness, nobody really knew what we were seeig those early days.

Since then most shows near NYC have about 4-5 dealers of Soviet items (not including those who just have a few items mixed in with American, etc.). I have heard that shows outside NYC dn't have many, other then the MAX of the Great Western.

DD
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:56 AM   #34
HuliganRS

We'll have ****** in Chicago this weekend! Woo-Hoo!

Other than that small time dealers with up to 10 Soviet items at local shows.

Greeting from Shi-Town.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 07:59 AM   #35
Dave

Conventions And Shows

Anyone here planning on going to the OMSA Convention this August in Philidelphia? I plan on going. This will be my first time, as I have normally been overseas for the other conventions since I joined OMSA! Any 'veterans' of these conventions know how much Soviet stuff shows up?

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 01:44 PM   #36
Doug

The OMSA conventions are great. There is usually a pretty strong representation of Soviet ODM's for sale from the big 2 (or is it 3?)dealers as well as some from other smaller dealers and private collectors. Last year, I shared a table with a fellow OMSA member and sold a couple of my duplicates. Of course, I bought a lot more than I sold. Also at last year's convention, a fellow OMSA member displayed his collection of Early Soviet Republican Orders. As I understand it, his is the only complete collection known. It was worth the trip just to see that. There was also a fine display of Soviet Labor awards.

I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity to go. If you're not a member of OMSA, you should strongly consider it. It is a great organization with a terriffic membership that is always ready to share information and knowledge. I know there are a number of other OMSA members here who will back me up on this one.

All the best,

Doug
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 11:17 AM   #37
vikingraider1

wel, over here in the UK in two weeks is the massive Beltring War and Peace show which claims to be the largest militaria fair in the world. I have been for about the past four years and can quite honestly say that it would take some beating to top this event. There are several Soviet dealers (mostly from Russia) who are going and last year there were some real rarities for sale.
Also (a bit off topic) there is a whole host of other militaria subjects with a strong emphisis on British and Third Reich stuff.

Be there or be circular!
"We can truly say that the whole circuit of the earth is girdled with the graves of our dead... and, in the course of my pilgrimage, I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through the years to come, than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war."

King George V, Flanders, 1922
vikingraider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 11:37 AM   #38
Mozzabloke

Viking Raider,

where is the show held?

Mark
Mozzabloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2003, 02:25 PM   #39
vikingraider1

The show is held in Beltring, Kent. Nearest train is Paddock Wood. It is held on a massive hop farm for the Thursday to the Sunday. Well worth a visit. You will not regret it.
"We can truly say that the whole circuit of the earth is girdled with the graves of our dead... and, in the course of my pilgrimage, I have many times asked myself whether there can be more potent advocates of peace upon earth through the years to come, than this massed multitude of silent witnesses to the desolation of war."

King George V, Flanders, 1922
vikingraider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 AM   #40
HuliganRS

Do you have to be a member to attend the show?

Thanks,

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote