The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Problem with an eBay seller

"destroy" them or relist them so they can get another cut!
CtahhR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
kiwiussr

I have brought several items from this seller and have had them researched and all has came back without any issue, which for me is great. he often offers me documented groups and i use some one else to do a record check for me if I am unsure which answers any questions in regards to a docuemnted group. all the medals I have brought from him are all genuine which again is good for me. I think if he is not sure he tends to list his items in a way that you can make your own mind up as I dont think he tries to decieve people, but thats just my opinion. He has offered me at the moment a OGIII, and 2 red star group with full research, so I am looking at that as I have to date not had a bad experence with him

kiwi
kiwiussr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #13
Esteban_cool

Good to see you haven´t had a bad experience with that seller, but it´d be much better if you could have a little bit of empathy for others´ disgrace. This is a forum and as such, we need to behave as if we are in a community rather than just being "me-myself-and-I" all the time.

And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:27 PM   #14
Eryk

Thanks for the word, Auke. Always appreciated!

The worst of dealers are those who deal in both real and fake on a regular basis. I don't buy that "they don't know." Sure it happens, and when it does the contrition and efforts to make it right make it clear that they didn't. But when weasel words are used in the description and short return times are all that's offered, then nope, they knew.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:47 AM   #15
deValcourt

Auke, I think you may have provided your own best recourse. You said he has a 100% feedback rating and you've read what other buyers said. Well, this is what I would do (and have done): tell it like it is in his feedback. Say he doesn't always know what he is selling; indicate that items were described poorly (you can give any number of "stars" you wish); make your feedback the sore thumb that sticks out without sounding bitter and other potential buyers/bidders will probably give more credence to your comments than the others who just took the lazy way out. EBay is taking feedback very seriously these days and some sellers will even try to buy your higher ratings, especially if you follow protocol and warn the seller about what you plan to do first.

In this case, I'd boil down what you've told us into phrases that fit the comment sections and let him have it. It will be recorded and you would be doing any future bidder/buyer who is serious enough to actually look at what others have said about their transactions a great service. I know if I see even one well-worded and specific comment that is less than all the way, that is the one I think about and form my questions for the seller based on whatever issues or problems were raised. The carefully chosen words of one can outweigh hundreds of canned comments to someone like yourself who is truly interested in obtaining authentic items.

And Esteban is right. There is no useful purpose in pointing fingers and snickering because I am certain there is not a soul among us who has not been hoodwinked at least once - regardless of the monetary value. And let us not forget that as the counterfeiters get better - as they continue to do - we will all have to eventually look at our own collections with an eye of suspicion because even a trusted seller could be duped by an extraordinary fake now and then.

There is no "ivory tower" - even here on the Forum. There have been colorful characters who knew what to say and when to say it before selling their homemade documents or other items here before being discovered for con artists and banned.

What is most regrettable about the auction and trying to get more than just one opinion from someone you respect here, is the time factor. Most often if I come across a great deal but I'm even the least bit wary or simply out of my element, I usually don't have time to wait for more than one or two people to respond to my questions before the listing or auction ends and trusting my gut only gets me so far.

Perhaps, we can figure out a way to set up an "Emergency, Time Sensitive" category either in the appropriate groups or subgroups, or even just a "need help fast, please" thread for now, without it being abused (as in no posting there if you are working out a personal deal or already have the item you wish to get input on) it might help. I know it would be one of the most used and read threads in the entire Forum and might avoid the whole problem which can result from calling out eBay sellers and accusing them (that whole libel/slander problem) of deceptive or other unethical practices. It would simply be a "here's the photos I copied - what do you think?" and we would all state the end time of a particular auction. If someone needs to know (for whatever reason) who is selling the item in the hurry up and give me opinions thread, he or she could PM the poster for more detailed information.

It's just a thought that popped into my exhausted brain while I was typing this post. It may not be workable, but who knows?

Phillip

Last edited by deValcourt; 07-30-2010 at 12:49 AM.
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:07 AM   #16
olezha11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I've also bought an award from X***** that didn't quite match the description and turned out to be a reproduction. We were able to work things out and I returned it for a refund, so I believe he is an honest seller and not intentionally trying to decieve. I would buy from him again.

I think part of the problem is that he doesn't speak English very well and this leads to inadequate descriptions and misunderstandings.

The thing I learned, and it was stated above, is to ask questions and request additional pictures if I have any reservations about the legitimacy of an item.

Roscoe
He sells 90% fake.
olezha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #17
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by olezha11 View Post
He sells 90% fake.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiussr View Post
I have brought several items from this seller and have had them researched and all has came back without any issue, which for me is great. he often offers me documented groups and i use some one else to do a record check for me if I am unsure which answers any questions in regards to a docuemnted group. all the medals I have brought from him are all genuine which again is good for me. I think if he is not sure he tends to list his items in a way that you can make your own mind up as I dont think he tries to decieve people, but thats just my opinion. He has offered me at the moment a OGIII, and 2 red star group with full research, so I am looking at that as I have to date not had a bad experence with him
I'd suggest that you take a closer look to every single item you got from him

Marc

Last edited by CtahhR; 05-22-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
claretbaron

what awards were you bought? can you show pictures to us?
claretbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #19
aaabbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretov View Post
I agree, and further, if you file a PayPal complaint you will most likely win the case, they will refund your money and tell you to destroy ( ) the fake items.
That's not the case. You can't prove it's fake, even you proved, paypal will ask you to ship to their warehouse (in the U.S.A).

In most cases, paypal will ask you to return the item to the seller. There're too many fakes on ebay, but they just want to make money from the sellers.
aaabbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 AM   #20
ph3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabbb View Post
That's not the case. You can't prove it's fake, even you proved, paypal will ask you to ship to their warehouse (in the U.S.A).

In most cases, paypal will ask you to return the item to the seller. There're too many fakes on ebay, but they just want to make money from the sellers.

Paypal does, ebay not, too many cases with ' lost ' returned items. It's easy yeah. You sold a fake for a grant, it's been returned, you give to postman 50 quit and the item lost. That is how a group of fakers used to operate, selling 'top orders'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (33.1 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by ph3s; 07-31-2010 at 01:47 AM.
ph3s is offline   Reply With Quote