The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-05-2003, 09:38 AM   #1
DougD

Ever fly Aeroflot?

They are changing the logo; getting rid of the hammer and sickle.

Any members ever fly them? To/from where?

DD
Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2003, 10:12 AM   #2
new world

Hi Dough,

I used them several times from NYC to Moscow.

Aeroflot's dervice is comparable to any major airline.

The major difference is the great deals on the tickets - no one can beat them when it comes to price!

Best,

William
Old 03-05-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
alanirvine

Aerflot

Doug,

In April of last year I flew from Warsaw to Moscow. In the Russian version of a 727.

I have to admit I was concerned. The plane looked old, dirty and smoked a great deal (I am sure that the smoke was normal). It also was very loud.

I don't quite remember, but there was something about the landing style that seemed different. Also, when they made their landing approach the leading edge of the wings were extended. On American built planes, I think that the trailing edge is extended. The purpose is to have a larger wing surface area for greater lift at slower (landing) speeds. Different approaches to the same problem. I just think that it made the plane handle a little different.

Anyway, I made it and it was an interesting experience.

William is right, the price is right.

Are you planning a trip?

Alanirvine
Old 03-05-2003, 10:41 AM   #4
DougD

not soon...

...I have become annoyed recently with the rest of the world, but thats another topic.

I have flown them 12 times, mostly inside Russia, but also from Poland and to and from Ukraine.

Just curious to hear what people who flew it think of its service, etc.

DD
Old 03-05-2003, 11:23 AM   #5
Stephende

I flew several times within CCCP and from NY to Moscow - this was in 1977-78. On the international flight they came around and sprayed a can of disinfectant on our heads.

I'll never forget one flight from Moscow to Kiev - vey cold and snowy. The technician took a large stick - looked like a broom handle to pound on the inside of the engine fan blades - talk about priming the pump!

Marshal Zhukov
Old 03-06-2003, 10:30 AM   #6
Lapa

My most memorable flight with them (especially due to its length) was a Paris-Moscow-Tokyo and back, in 1974 onboard a Tupolev.

The plane was pretty empty, probably about 15 of us in all, with 4 flight attendants. Now, I know what you're thinking, but noooooooo!!!!!. They were quite athletic in their own sort of Hulk Hogan way, looking more like professional wrestlers than cute, attractive flight attendants. And as gracious and welcoming as your average Eastern-siberian Gulag commander.

On the plus side, we each had a full row of seats to sleep (although we were very directly reminded NOT to put our feet on the seats at any time), and the food was quite good and included a generous helping of caviar and vodka (yep, and that was in economy class).

The only problem after that feast was the landing in Moscow. At the time, since we were obviously all western imperialst spies, the plane was flying at its cruising altitude to a point almost at the vertical of the airport, then dropping like a stone to land. Believe me, a few stomachs remained stuck to the ceiling while all of us took on a lovely greenish shade. Once on the ground, we had to go down the ladder then walk to the terminal, a pretty unremarkable thing to do usually, but not in Moscow when 15 top-flight spies are in transit. So, it just happened that we had to walk the 200 meters or so between a double row of soldiers armed with AKs pointed constantly at us, just a bit unnerving. That was my first ever experience of this kind of reception (I've been through a few "hairyer" experiences in various countries afther that), but I must say being the first of its kind, it has left a pretty vivid memory to this day.

I don't know if any of you ever had to be on international transit inside Moscow airport, but that was also another experience. There were about 4 or 5 shops, but everything was closed for one reason or the other, and a 5 hour wait under constant close surveillance can be a very long time indeed.

Anyway, that was the good old times, I guess

Marc
Old 03-07-2003, 09:15 PM   #7
Dave

I flew Aeroflot several times from Chicago to Moscow roundtrip in 1992, 1993 and 1994. I never had any problems with the flight or service, though I do vividly remember that the seats, instead of reclining (which they did) they went forward! I was glad I knew the people sitting behind me!

I actually got to do two things on Aeroflot flights that I would never have gotten to do otherwise... The first was getting to sit in the co-pilot's seat for about a half-hour over (I believe it was) Finland. Wow! What a great ride! The other thing was getting to play cards with a group of friends down in the (climate controlled) luggage area! We played cards from Moscow to Shannon, Ireland (with the attendants bringing us food and drink down there!) but on the trip from Ireland to Chicago, they changed crews and, upon resuming our game, were very quickly ushered out of luggage! Oh well...

I've heard that Aeroflot has the same, if not better, international flight safety record, but for domestic flights, watch out! Just seeing that crashed Aeroflot-jet-converted-to-barn along the Moscow river outside of Sherementovo II is enough to change one's mind for fliying Aeroflot domestically!

--Dave
Old 03-10-2003, 03:33 AM   #8
otlichnik

The last time I flew Aeorflot (Amsterdam to Moscow) it was on a leased 767 and was great.

Domestic is different. My oddest experience was on Kazan Airlines. As the Tatars of Kazan trace their lineage back to the Golden Horde this was really Golden Horde Air. I survived though. In fact, the snacks were good.

The oddest things was that there was a window in the washroom roof! It was a late flight so you could see the stars above. Very odd. Tupolev 134 I think.

Shawn
Old 03-10-2003, 10:20 AM   #9
DougD

Tu-134

Yes, thats the good old little Tupolev. I have flown the Tu-134 many times and love the skylight in the bathroom. It is there for military reasons, to provide an area for spotting. All Aeroflot aircraft have to be able to be converted to military use in no time.

DougD