The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 07-09-2003, 01:07 PM   #181
olezha11

It also looks fake
olezha11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2003, 02:04 PM   #182
new world

Tal,

I agree that paying $97 for a Siberia medal is too high.

But look at other choices - Medal for Reclaiming of Non-Black Soil Region:
- Dealer X - $95,
- Dealer Y - $80,
- eBay auction - $64.

This is crazy!

Wiliam

Last edited by new world; 07-10-2003 at 08:18 PM.
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:03 AM   #183
vova

Sorry Tal, but I disagree that Siberia medal is an average medal. I would rather say the opposite, QUITE RARE, only 25 000 was awarded. The same applies to Non-Black Earth Zone of the Russian Federation. I recently paid USD 85 for each of them and fell myself very happy. For the last three years I saw them only several times for sale (I mean real ones). In addition, I never saw documents for them for sale.
vova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:09 AM   #184
HuliganRS

I agree with Vova.

It seems like they are quickly vanishing from the marketplace and are quickly replaced with fakes!

Any Soviet medal with mintages below 100K are hard to find...
I do agree that some are easier to find than others...

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 11:24 AM   #185
Tal Inbar

Vova, don't be sorry....

I was the one that put the poles regarding those medals rarity, and convinced Art to change the rarity on the main site.

HOWEVER, I bought BAM medal in the uS for $24.00, In Israel for 35.00, Medal for the Development of the Petrochemical Complex of Western Siberia for $25.00 , Medal for Development of the Non-Black Earth Region of the USSR - $25.00 (both price in Israel on 2001.

I was surprised to see dealers offers them for around US $ 50 (one of the moderators....) although they are quite rare.

However, about US$ 90-100 it is another story.

Tal
Old 07-10-2003, 11:47 AM   #186
HuliganRS

Tal - You are quoting prices from 2001 !!!! I could have bought a Suvorov 2 for under $2K, BK2 around $1200

Today the only Suvorov 2 for sale in US is going for $3,000 + and BK 2 for $2,000 +

You had a great deal on those medals!!!

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 01:53 PM   #187
Tal Inbar

Medal for Defence of Kiev - US $73.67 (17 ! bidds)

Medal for the Defense of the Soviet Arctic - $52.83

Some luck for the seller of the above medals...

OGPW, 1st class, 1985 variation for US $49.12 !
ORDER OF THE RED STAR - US $39.21 (S/N 3241763 )

Tal
Old 07-10-2003, 07:52 PM   #188
new world

Quote:
Originally posted by Tal Inbar
... HOWEVER, I bought BAM medal in the uS for $24.00, In Israel for 35.00, Medal for the Development of the Petrochemical Complex of Western Siberia for $25.00 , Medal for Development of the Non-Black Earth Region of the USSR - $25.00 (both price in Israel on 2001.

Tal

Hi Tal,

I'd love to buy at the prices you mention, but the days when you could buy these medals at the prices you are quoted are long gone

Just about a month ago I saw BAM medal for sale by a dealer for $30. When I inquired about availability I was told they were all sold a while ago.

Many of the dealers don't even update prices on their sites and when you call them to buy something - it's either double the price or sold.

William
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 09:23 PM   #189
Ed Maier

William,

I agree with you. At current prices, I am going out of business. I cannot resupply my stock at the prices I can sell the medals for on my web page. I do not know what I will do in the future.

I've had one major supplier stop exporting medals as he makes more money in Russia, another cannot find anything good, and the third major supplier, sends all of his old stock back into Russia and brings out garbage now.

People have to adjust to the times and understand that if you pay a bargin price you are going to get a fake unless you get very lucky and buy from an idiot. Even if this happens, you will have bought ten fakes to find the one bargin.

Please everyone, study the laws of supply and demand and understand that we are dealing with a finite number of good pieces which have been in demand for 13 years. Would anyone disagree that there are more then 120,000 Soviet ODM collectors worldwide? That means that even at this small number, if everyone had an Order of the October Revolution, there would be no roginals left. If everyone had a Partisan Medal 1st or 2nd Class, as large majority are probably fakes. Hell, if everyone of these people had 5 Orders of Glory 3rd Class, most would be gone. Granted the numbers are soft, but it should make you say, "Hmmm?"

Just my opinion, which I hope will cause people to scratch their heads,
Ed M.
Ed Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:36 AM   #190
vova

Ed is absolutely right, the prices are regulated by supply and demand and the only reason for recent price increase is growing demand with limited supply. However, I ask myself sometime, can demand go down. It might happen then in 10-15 yers sowiet orders might be out of fashion (like Zimbabwe orders today) and then (at least for me as a colector who has already invested some cash into the stuff). What do you think of probability that this might happen.
vova is offline   Reply With Quote