The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #1161
RedMaestro2

Re: How to store medals

Quote:
Originally Posted by medals73 View Post
Very well put, "CathhR". It isn't just a matter of accumulating or competing with others, the fun comes in the research and, yes, even in the cataloging.

I keep my catalogue in MSWord and just the Soviet material is two volumes (groups and singles, respectively 739 and 343 pages). And the catalogues are in a constant process of revision, even though not a lot of new stuff is being added these days. For organization (or it just being anal compulsive?) I assign numbers to individual items and to groups; if another group were to come in it would be G494 and the next single item, whether grouped or orphaned, would be 6582. I have clearly been doing this for too long.

Unfortunately, most items live in the bank vault, so as close as I come to fondling my friends is the virtual fondling of the scans in the catalogue.
Does that mean you have 493 groups and 6581 single pieces?

It would be great if you could share an example from your catalog or the formatting system. (new/revived thread?)

My system is a simple MS Word catalog. I just record the award, documents, recipient name, research status, price paid, place purchased, plus a photo. It's an inefficient and unimaginative format in need of repair, though.
RedMaestro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #1162
travel-north

Hi Tretov,
first of all, you have a great collection. I would definitely like to see larger pics. Secondly, like it was already said in previous posts, don't worry too much because many collectors have had some sort of problems with storage during their collecting careers. You just can't know everything and we don't have the resources like museums. From my experience, soaking in natural lemon juice and then washing with soap (ph neutral) and water is the best and safest way. I'm skeptical about using any kinds of chemicals unless you know very well what you doing. Anyway, before using any method of cleaning, try it first on the least precious items!
travel-north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #1163
travel-north

Quote:
Originally Posted by medals73 View Post

I assign numbers to individual items and to groups; if another group were to come in it would be G494 and the next single item, whether grouped or orphaned, would be 6582. I have clearly been doing this for too long.
Holy cow! Where do you fit all your stuff?
travel-north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #1164
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I haven't assigned numbers (yet) but I sort my groups alphabetically or at least try to (some groups aren't compatible in the same storage area). I have 3 distinct sections; Undocumented and uncased, cased and documented. Those rows of enveloped awards are the lion's share of the undocumented and uncased ones. The cased (Bulgarian) ones fill a travelling trunk and a second trunk is filled with primarily undocumented yet cased awards. As I have had quite a vast influx of documents recently (thanks to PJS) I am very much rethinking my storage of documented single or group items. I seem to be finding more problems than solutions.
So far I have catalogued 459 Soviet groups, 117 Bulgarian, 60 some "other" and I have by no means completed the task, nor even been thorough enough with what I have catalogued. Having the vast share of the collection at hand 24/7 is a giant help when I realise I've not taken note of something I should have. Using this forum to indicate new variations and the such of items be they metallic or paper very frequently requires a fresh look at an item with newly acquired information in mind.

The forum awards database is also an absolutely fabulous storage system but as yet this forum is only storing award numbers. Before this year is out there will also be a greater attention brought to the names of those recipients of the awards. Hopefully this will be of even greater assistance to collectors than the forum is so far. Knowing you need "#134" to finish your collection is one thing but knowing you need documents and awards to Comrade "x" helps even more.

So far with the help of forum members I have been able to reunite split sets or at worst partial sets by bringing the attention to names of people awarded. I must very openly thank EricFG and Podeba45 (alphabetically) for their absolute dedication to reuniting groups. These two members and users of this forum, I can very happily inform all members due to my personal experiences are true hobbyists and collectors with an absolute correct focus.
There are more, maybe as yet unknown but working together as a community we can improve the hobby and each other's understanding.

I know not everyone is geared in the same direction but I would like to hope we can all work together and to each other's benefit no matter what are own self interest may be. This forum is now in its 11th year and assembled in the members list is amongst others a really dedicated assortment of people who have unwavering enjoyment and interaction in this hobby.

Now this thread is about "storage", I would like to make a call to all users of this forum of all nations and of all interests covered in this forum be it unit banners or Polish orders to photograph, scan, type out as much information as you can, so we can store it all here on this forum for all members to digest and enjoy. Many users purchase items on the marketplace and I am sure many more buy them elsewhere. Photograph them, share them with us all. If you are certain it is real put it in the "real" thread if you question it put it in the "fake" thread but post it. We can all learn. If you are shy or nervous the item you purchased could be fake isn't it best to know the truth?

Come on members scan your documents, photograph your serial numbered awards. Let's have a truly glorious parade.

Don't have the focus on deals you may have, let us see what you've all ready "won".

With knowledge everyone is a winner.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #1165
Will

My first thought was also that the silver had simply tarnished.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #1166
marsino

I'm still waiting to see your wonders, too much air and nothing metal ...
marsino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #1167
Pobeda45

Silver tarnish/patina isn't simple discoloration though, it is a result of gas (usually sulphur dioxide) reacting with the silver. What you see is the changed metal on the very surface of the award, and it can/will become deeper and more permanent over time. There isn't a simple solution because you can wash, wipe, or even use silver dip on the award and you are effectively removing a microscopic layer of silver. So it's a very tricky tradeoff. The veterans themselves didn't seem to have these concerns and polished the heck out of their medals! So it sucks--but I would recommend washing or lightly polishing the awards. Use silver dip only as a last resort, because silver dip will make the silver dull and greyish looking.

Oh, and switch to my non-PVC non reactive "overkill system:"
http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...tml#post190658

George
Pobeda45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #1168
RedMaestro2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtahhR View Post
So far I have catalogued 459 Soviet groups, 117 Bulgarian, 60 some "other" and I have by no means completed the task, nor even been thorough enough with what I have catalogued.
Have we seen any of the Soviet yet? (hint hint )

I'm amazed that anyone can accumulate such a museum. And this is only a part of it!
RedMaestro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1169
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Not much has been seen. I need to really make sure all is sorted because I don't want to go off half cocked.

I wouldn't be surprised if early in 2013 I start bombarding the forum with Soviet items.

Plenty more fish in the sea before that and plenty of other forum members have Soviet items they can share. I'm trying to focus on the "unseen" first rather than going the route most travelled.

New items arriving all the time too.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #1170
Pobeda45

One more guys, here's George's overkill-but 100% safe method for storing small medal bars.

Step 1: buy acid-free heavy cardstock, cut to size
Step 2: cut little holes and affix the bar to the cardstock via its original pin/fastener
Step 3: place non-PVC SAFLIP brand halves on each medal to prevent them from rubbing together
Step 4: put the whole thing into a 4x6" non-PVC Ultra-Pro brand plastic sleeve and seal the top
Step 5: display! (If you can see anything )

Cheers, George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-IMG_2272.jpg (106.7 KB, 65 views)
Pobeda45 is offline   Reply With Quote