The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Communist Nations > Mongolia > Mongolian Orders

Old 11-05-2005, 07:55 AM   #1
new world

Military Merit Order.

I am not sure whether this falls into fakes category, as there are various opinions about this latest batch of Mongolian awards.

These are not made of sterling silver and hard baked enamel as official Mongolian awards, but rather from some cheap alloy and paint. Judging by pictures - the quality is really bad.

Also serial number is not there.

Sellers insist this is new variation as of 2004 which makes no sense to me. Mongolian abolished all communist symbols and I just don't see how they would go back to issuing communist period awards.

To me these are fakes, unofficial copies at best.

These started to appear on eBay on frequent basis, so be careful what you bid on.

William
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mongolia_CombatValor_Fake1.jpg (15.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mongolia_CombatValor_Fake2.jpg (13.0 KB, 0 views)
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
Dolf

William,

I don't see at least no obvious "communist symbols" on these new pieces!
According to the most recent reference book on Mongolian Awards by Dr. Battushig, it seems that this 2003-2004 new Type/Variation does really officialy exist!
As mentioned before the quality of these pieces can't indeed be compared with those made before the fall of communism, and is in fact poor compared to the old ones, but apart from one or two exceptions I've noticed, most serious Mongolian Awards dealers list that fact on their advertising so no one who can read should feel deceived I guess!

Just my two cents...

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf
William,

I don't see at least no obvious "communist symbols" on these new pieces!
Dolf,

look closer, the design is identical to the pinback variation from Communits period. Red Star, name of the state that does not exist anymore (I think it used to be Mongolian Peoples Republic, now they call themselves Republic of Mongolia).

Those are all attributes of old Communist system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf
According to the most recent reference book on Mongolian Awards by Dr. Battushig, it seems that this 2003-2004 new Type/Variation does really officialy exist!
As mentioned before the quality of these pieces can't indeed be compared with those made before the fall of communism, and is in fact poor compared to the old ones, but apart from one or two exceptions I've noticed, most serious Mongolian Awards dealers list that fact on their advertising so no one who can read should feel deceived I guess!
There is controversy here. To consider these official awards we need to have facts that these are made on the state mint and are being awarded by the government. Do you know of such info?

To me these newly minted badges are junk, just like Umalatove awards in Russia. But again, there are folks who collect unofficial awards as well.

William
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
DutchBoy

William,

I used to think they were official issue too, but you make a convincing argument! They are certainly not FAKES, as they are very poor copies of the originals, but I'm much less tempted to add them to my collection.

Quote:
look closer, the design is identical to the pinback variation from Communits period. Red Star, name of the state that does not exist anymore (I think it used to be Mongolian Peoples Republic, now they call themselves Republic of Mongolia).

Last edited by DutchBoy; 11-05-2005 at 01:51 PM.
DutchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Dolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by new world
Dolf,

William
William,

You're absolutely right about that, anyway, I was thinking more of "hammers & sickles" and obvious stuff of the kind.
Indeed they still use the last communist type coat of arms, but I think some other former communist countries also maintained these symbols even after the change of regime, not 100% sure but I believe I've seen them in other official awards from other countries. Am I wrong?

Quote:
There is controversy here. To consider these official awards we need to have facts that these are made on the state mint and are being awarded by the government. Do you know of such info?
No, I don't have official proves that these awards are official and made at the state mint, all I know as I said is that the Mongolian experts I know consider them not "cheap copies" but rather at the same level as the older pre 2003-2004 ones.
So honestely I don't know what to say.

Quote:
To me these newly minted badges are junk, just like Umalatove awards in Russia. But again, there are folks who collect unofficial awards as well.
I'm not a fan of these new made pieces either, but I've seen them sell for similar current prices of the older ones, and some bought by people I know that they know what they are buying. Exotic curiosity? No idea!
The only one I have of this "new type" (a Mother Heroine) yes, I guess I was curious and wanted to have one on my hands to compare and check all the differences.

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote