The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 11-16-2002, 03:05 PM   #101
scook17

Alexei, or anyone else in the know, what sort of percentage increase have we seen in the cost of orders/medals in the past twelve months to two years?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2002, 03:39 PM   #102
Tal Inbar

BAM medal for $56.89 at the moment - and more than a day to the end!

It is now $71.11 !!!
Not ended yet...

I bought a BAM medal on ebay for $24.00 in 2001.

Sold! for.....$72.00!!!!

Well, either we should boost the rarity, or some people has to much $$$$$$$$$$$

And now, veteran of labor for just $13.44 .....

In Israel, those medals are $0.70- 1.10 each.

SOLD: (by the same lucky dealer...)

DEVELOPMENT OF NON BLACK EARTH - $71.00
PETROCHEMICAL COMPLEX - $71.00

!!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 09:20 AM   #103
scook17

Tal,

Is it not fair to say there isn't much of a market for soviet awards in Israel? I know that a lot of the Russian Jews went to Israel, due mainly to the economic problems in Russia. Is it therefore true to say there is, therefore, too much supply and not enough demand?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:08 AM   #104
Tal Inbar

I can't tell excactly what is the demand for Soviet awards , since the collectors of soviet (and even Nazi!) militaria in Israel are more secret than the KGB.

I DO know one collector, who bought HSU star, Traktor Lenin, Kutozov 3rd - on suspension etc., from Russian Jews in 1990-1992. (read and cry: tractor lenin, s/n 3XX - $2000 + the document; Belgrade medals for $30 etc - those were the days...) Since 1994-5, it is extremely hard to find good stuff - the main reason is that the majority of veterans will kill you before they sell the awards!

There are dozens of small parades in Victory day, in almost every town in Israel.

There are some rare finds, but it is hard to locate them (I can still find orders of October revolution for $60-65, GPW 1st classe for $120-135, Freindsip of peoples - $150). My BIG mistake - I DID NOT buy BK 2nd for $600.....

Israelis in general dislike medals and militaria collecting. However, I am not a typical Israeli...

Tal

Sold:

BAM medal - $49.03
Restoration of the Donbass Mines - $45.87
Restor. Black Metal Enterprises - £26.00
Devel Petrochem Western Siberia - £28.00 !!
Order of labor glory, 3rd class, Var 2 (no rivets) - $29.26

All of the above without documents.

A sad joke - "order of Stalin' (Umalatova) - modest start at:

$84.99 !!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2003, 09:00 AM   #105
Ed_Haynes

Blast from the past

While moving stacks of papers from place to place -- what I describe to my wife as "cleaning up my study" -- I encountered some old copies of Seaby's Coin and Medal Bulletin (how's THAT for dating myself?!), roughly 1968-1971.

While this was the era when Soviet awards were like hen's teeth in the rarity category, some appeared. Samples:

Red Banner suspension "2" - £50/-/-
Red Banner of Labor - £30/-/-
Patriotic War 2 screwback - £18.50, £20/-/-
Red Star - £18.50, £22/-/-
Glory 3 - £19.00, £25/-/-, £23/-/-
Order of Motherhood 2 - £7/10/-, £6/10/-
Battle Merit - £9.00, £12/-/-
Budapest - £6.00
Vienna - £6.00
Koenigsberg - £6.00, £5/10/-
Leningrad - £6.00, £8/-/-
Warsaw - £6.50
Japan - £6.50, £7/10/-
Germany - £-/65/-, £-/75/-

And, when you consider just inflation, the £50 for the RB "2" would be something like £500 today!

In one field, at least, I'm glad I didn't start collecting aggressively back then! Compare this with a Military General Service Medal, "Egypt" to 20th Foot for £40/-/- and you see the differences!

Ed Haynes

Last edited by Ed_Haynes; 01-28-2003 at 09:03 AM.
Ed_Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:19 PM   #106
paddywhack

how much for a hsu medal?

how much would one have to pay for one of these medals as on another forum a $3000 was quoted? would this be right?
cheers
"Right ok so apart from the roads,education,sanition, medicine,the wine,the aquaducts, irragation, the public baths,a fresh water system and public order, what have the romans ever done for us?"........
reg from life of brian.
paddywhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:57 PM   #107
Brian

I keep a spreadsheet of dealers prices that I have seen on various higher end awards so that I can have a good reference as to what the going price is for awards. I show that there have been (and I'm betting most are still available) four HSU medals offered of late in the $1725 - $1750 range from 3 of the better known dealers. This price is for the medal by itself. Three of the four came with somekind of research (this might have just been the name and the section from the HSU books). One of them came with a COA from PMD.

Now if you want to price one with the three award docs (award, small HSU, and large HSU) the cheapest I show is $3150.

Hope this helps,
Brian
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 01:16 AM   #108
redstar_co

Groups and their values

I started collecting about a month or so ago. Dealing with a wonderfull dealers like Art and Alexei. Great experience.

Anyway, I browse through a variety of different items. With papers and without. What I was wondering is, how much does an award book that accompanies the award adds to the value.
Red Banner (mirror) low end. Suvorov 2nd on the high end.
When do the documents stop being of any value at all? Do they ever?
Old 03-04-2003, 07:43 AM   #109
otlichnik

Red Star,

I don't think docs ever stop being of value. Even on the lowest value medals and badges. Docs personalize the item greatly. You know at least the name of the reciepient and in many cases their unit. With a WWII medal, where the unit is usually named, and not just given a VCh number, you can then read about that unit and what else it did.

Interestingly, documents seem to add the most value, in terms of percentage of the value of the original, on WWII medals. In many cases the value of a medal with award card is double or more that of the medal itself.

It is also possible to specialize when it comes to documented awards. For example, I collect WWII medals with docs to NKVD personnel. I know of other that collect them with docs to tank units, air force personnel or even generals.

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 09:48 AM   #110
alanirvine

Groups and their values

Red Star,

When I first started collecting I would purchase most anything. Now I concentrate mostly on awards that have their accompanying documentation.

I find that knowing the recipient of an award adds so much more interest to the award. It also makes it much more personal. There becomes somewhat of an attachment to the recipient.

Alanirvine
alanirvine is offline   Reply With Quote