The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #131
Christophe

I'm sure I will. Many thanks.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2004, 06:47 PM   #132
ekclete

Other Midwest Shows

Hello,
Granted a little late but we have four military shows in the Minneapolis and St Paul area year year.
Two are pretty decent military shows in April and October each year. Like most shows it is WWII German driven, then the US collectors and lastly everything else. Once a year a dealer of Soviet items sets up. He has some nice quality items mainly specializing in cloth and headgear.
The second two up here are run by gun show promoters and even thought it is 'supposed to be' a military only show about a third of the show are guns. I have seen about ten decent Soviet era items in ten years. I go just to get a fix and maybe just get some gun dealer who just doesnt know what he has.
In Wisconsin there are three shows per year I know of. One is in Madison in July, another in Milwaukee sometime and another in Jaynesville in December I think. I have added several nice quality Soviet items at this show over the years. Seems to have gotten a little slim over the last few years but that seems to be everywhere.
Lastly there is one show each September in Des ***nes, Iowa. I did see two Soviet re-enactors dressed up in combat gear but besides a few 1985 Red Star issues there is nothing Soviet.
I tend to restrict my purchases to the show in Louisville each February. There I can see a variety of items and with some competition amoungst Soviet vendors.
Or as DougD mentioned I purchase items from vendors I met from this site or from reputable dealers whom I met at collectors shows and have done business with in the past.
If anyone needs specific dates on any of the shows I mentioned I will be sure you get at least a phone number to call to get you the information you want. Thanks Clete
Old 03-06-2005, 04:42 AM   #133
Christophe

Has someone gone to the 2005 OVMS Show of Shows (these last days) ?
Anything of interest ?

Ch.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:46 AM   #134
shiloh

Chris,

If you are referring to the Louisville Show, I went with my two pals who are also collectors. It was one of the largest shows I have attended. All the regular Russian item deals were there, but the inventory was very thin and mostly consisted of cheap trinkets. Several of them offered us very high prices to part with our collections, but we declined.

I just picked up a Japanese Meije era veterans badge and a Russian fire fighter badge. Plus a dvd of the Russian movie "Blockpost" - excellent portrayal of Russian troops in the Caucasus. This movie is only in Russian.
shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 03:46 PM   #135
Christophe

Shiloh,

Many thanks for your "report". In fact nothing really extraordinary...

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:58 PM   #136
ekclete

Some Nice Stuff

Hello,
At the recent Show of Shows there were a few killer cloth items available from a vendor. If memory servers me right he had an air marshal's VP tunic, a general of naval aviaition VP tunic, some just great dress general's & even an admiral's dress visors and even a marshal's visor.
Some highly desirable tunics and hats to say the least. Just how many chances does one get to examine a visor marshal's visor like that and then to have the chance to purchase it, well I was shocked to see it still available on Saturday.
I have been to about eight or nine SOS's to date. This year was by far, the worst for available Soviet awards to purchase. A few nice things for sure but not like a few years ago when the only roadblock to collecting was the depth of the checkbook! It seems that these days when I do have some money to spend I am not able to find a nice medal or group to add. Frustrating to say the least.
Happy hunting. Clete
Old 03-07-2005, 08:01 AM   #137
DougD

show

ekclete,
The air marshal was mine, I sent it to the show with a friend-dealer who also had some of my parade tunics. Shows are not really great for high end cloth, selling anyway; good for display, but these items rarely sell...I have them back now, so back on the list they go. Items like this sell on the list with no problem, usually before the lists are even done, but shows tend to attract more lower and middle level cloth buyers. I have sent items to shows with my friend-dealer and only once did a high end uniform sell, and it was to a guy I knew anyway. Headgear is better, some stuff sells pretty fast if its well priced and wartime. Flags also, if war time and well priced will go.

DougD
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 08:44 AM   #138
DutchBoy

Militaria Show St. Catherines, Ontario

I heard a rumour that there's going to be a militaria show in St. Catherines Ontario over the weekend. Does anybody have any information on that?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2005, 08:47 AM   #139
Alex.S

show

i went to that show last year, nothing interesting, who knows maybe this time it will be better

alex
Alex.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 09:01 AM   #140
DutchBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX.S
i went to that show last year, nothing interesting, who knows maybe this time it will be better

alex
Hey Alex,

Thanks for the reply. Were there many medal dealers? Since it's only an hour and a half drive for me I might check it out anyway.