The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 07-21-2003, 03:32 PM   #51
HuliganRS

That sounds fine!

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2003, 04:21 PM   #52
Ed_Haynes

Not sure I can make that time, but hope to do so or see others around.

Ed Haynes
Ed_Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 11:29 PM   #53
Nuclearmonkey

The privledges of age, a job, and driving ability. I am 17, am unemployed, and cannot drive, otherwise I'd take a trip to this show. Come back with stories, guys, I'd love to read of your venture to what sounds like a great convention already...
Nuclearmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 05:44 PM   #54
Dave

It's that time!

I'll see all who can make it from the forum at 6PM on Saturday in Players... If anyone else would like to bring some, I'll bring a few available groups with me for 'looking at'.

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:03 AM   #55
HuliganRS

Here's my brief overview of the event:

Met several board members (Eugene, Vlad, Oleg, Alex and Alex, Dave and the honorary member Paul McDaniel. Some of these guys made some nice purchases that they should share and post... Paul was a super nice guy and I had the honor of discussing several topics that I was wondering about: New variations since the book, possibility of an update to the original and several private topics. He was kind and gave free opinions on whatever you would bring him!!!

As far as the dealers and inventories, I will not post names but you may e-mail me and I'll tell you who's who:

Dealer1: Had three interesting pieces: 1. Order of Kutuzov 1st Class on the suspension, 2. "Prototype" Order of Lenin. 3. "Unpublished Variation" Mirror reverse OGPW1. After speaking with several collectors and Paul I learned that the Kutuzov was a decent copy and wasn't made from gold. Lenin was a jeweler’s piece and the OGPW1 was one as well. This dealer has been on black list of several collectors as well as some dealers. Overall this dealer was defensive and rude.

Dealer2: Had a dozen of high-end stuff and several super nice groups. He had Ushakov 1, Nakhimov 1 & 2 and about 10 various 3rd class Orders. The prices were high but the pieces were premium. He was a pleasure to talk with and let Vlad and I hold and examine the Ushakov 1 as well as Nakhimov 1!!!! WoW, you can't appreciate the true beauty of these pieces until you hold them in your hand. His only request was: "Please don't drop them..." I took off my backpack and firmly stood my ground.

Dealer3: Had 2 Suvorov 1. Yes you read it correct. One was a single piece with a modified serial number hinting that the piece left its home in questionable manner. The second was a part of a group to a dual Suvorov 1 recipient. He wouldn't let me examine it but it's his purgative and I didn't hold it against him. He had a few pieces that were very reasonably priced. A board member picked up 2 Mirror Red Banner screwback and a Mondvor BoH for $700. He also had a RB4 for $450; the problem with this piece is it has outer 2 numbers scratched off. This was probably done by the recipient but it killed its value...

Dealer4: Had a Suvorov2 for $2,500. I almost called Erik to see if I should pick it up for him but then I noticed that the S/N looked wrong. I examined it closer and the back including the MM looked weird. I spoke with Paul regarding this piece and he said that the obverse on the piece was 100% authentic but the reverse was sandblasted to remove the S/N and a new one was engraved.

Dealer5: What a joke. Not a single authentic piece!!! And the prices were 2x more that any other dealer.

Various dealers had medals but the prices were too high for what they had i.e.: Red Star 4xx,xxx for $75.

If I missed something others members might chime in...

Rusty.
Member #193

Last edited by HuliganRS; 08-18-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:19 AM   #56
Ed_Haynes

I, too, was there, but the only one of "us" that I (knowingly) met up with was Paul (the only one I had ever met non-electronically before).

I did make some photos which I'll post later today.

I have spoken of my major acquisition elsewhere....

Ed Haynes
Ed_Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #57
AlexF.

Rusty,
That's about right, in a nutshell. I have some pics to start the saliva dripping process..., however, they're all bigger then 100K.
I can size them smaller, but I'm not sure, if it's not going to hurt the quality.... ?

Alex.

P.S. It was a pleasure meeting forum members there, too bad my throat almost killed me there
AlexF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:33 PM   #58
HuliganRS

Alex,

Post the pics...

I only bought one medal and it was from a board member!

Rusty.
Member #193
Old 08-18-2003, 02:39 PM   #59
AlexF.

Ok, I sized them small (500x375 from 1024x768) - enjoy, everyone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg omsa2003-5.jpg (43.8 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg omsa2003-3.jpg (48.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg omsa2003-4.jpg (39.3 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 01-22-2014 at 10:45 PM.
AlexF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 03:26 PM   #60
HuliganRS

I forgot to post this...

I brought my HSU w/doc to the show for a quick authenticity by some big guns since I had my doubts about it...

Showed the piece to several people whom took about 5 minutes to examine both... Some called it a questionable piece, others said the suspension is fake, all agreed the book was doctored.

I then showed it to Paul, he took the HSU, put it in his hand and 2 seconds (literally) later proclaimed it was fake!!! Then he took his time and explained exactly why.

Needless to say I was upset but I got it for free so I can't complain.

Rusty.
Member #193