The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 PM   #1091
travel-north

But what do you do with suspensions???

Sergei, do your pouches have smell specific for plastic?
travel-north is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #1092
deValcourt

Re: How to store medals

Quote:
Originally Posted by travel-north View Post

I'd leave suspensions alone unless there is actual dirt (as in dried mud) and then I would just use a bit of warm soapy water with a soft (or worn) toothbrush. If the ribbon is silk, then just the toothbrush and a drop or two of water.

I have no problem cleaning most badges and have never gotten a medal or order that needed cleaning usually because the previous owner had already done that. Typically, when the gold (or other) plating is worn off, it is from continued polishing by the original owner for parade days and other military holidays.

If the badge is multi-piece, then take it apart and soak all the parts in a small bowl of warm water and Dawn or some other mild soap/detergent. Depending on how much caking (layers) of dirt or grime there are will depend on how long I will leave it soaking - up to 12 hours. Then out comes the toothbrush again to get the softened dirt/grime out of any corners or edges that are still holding the dirt.

Patina will return, but I don't clean with chemicals that would remove what is already there. I have found that hanging medals and orders on displayed uniforms out in the living room or wherever will result in a quick return of a base patina.

The only thing I clean more aggressively is verdigris or other types of oxidation that I know will only continue to harm the base metals and result in an adverse effect on appearance.

We have discussed pretty much all of this on several occasions in more than one thread. You should be able to find more detailed info in the other threads. As I recall, one of the more interesting threads started with someone wanting to know how to get dried blood out of a medal's ribbon; though frankly, I would never remove blood from a real order or medal ribbon unless I had reason to believe it was put there on purpose - and probably pig's blood.

One last thing: I tried something once many years ago on a silver-plated copy of the Medal for Protection of Public Order (before I got a real one) and do not recommend this because I do not know what the long-term result will be. I cleaned the medal to a shine for the fifth or sixth time, knowing full well it was a copy and because the patina would return rapidly each time. Then, I let it air dry for a day. The next day, I used a clear spray acrylic or some other oxygen barrier chemical similar to the stuff the Soviets used to apply to the paper portions of hard cover folding IDs. Now remember, I do not recommend this technique because it was a hair-brained idea I had before I got serious about maintaining my collection for the future. However, the upshot is that the medal still looks like it just came from the mint (or wherever it was made).

Phillip
Old 04-10-2012, 03:32 AM   #1093
Sergei

Quote:

Here is a link with some advice:
Cleaning metals: basic guidelines - Victoria and Albert Museum

Pouches - I have a few unused ones, they stink of chemicals like hell. The used ones don't seem to smell.
Suspensions - for cleaning, I remove the ribbon, take the medal off suspension. On medals which I intend to keep for good, I would replace worn ribbons. I am ruthless in this respect and call me a cynic but I do not believe in the soldier's blood on a medal. I do believe in unscrupulous sellers.
Verdigris - a real pain; I use a sharpened chopstick and a tiny drop of Brasso to work on it - somebody may have a better idea. Phillip is right - verdigris is a killer.
Lacquer - still undecided. I am selling this week a few medals that have been lacquered; I own a few other medals which I am sure had been lacquered before I got them. Museums use lacquer on metal. As for patina - I now own enough chemicals to make a rainbow patina, if needed.
Sergei
Sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #1094
EricFG

Quote:
I use water (sometimes warm sometimes boiling depending on the junk that is present), liquid soap and wipe down with a towel (or similar fabric). .
I got a couple of microfiber cloths recently as I had been searching for the correct item for use in cleaning my new TV screen. Microfiber was recommended as it won't scratch the surface of the screen (and dampened with distilled water, if needed.)
Needless to say one of the cloths is used now for wiping awards, the other for the TV.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #1095
travel-north

Gents, acetone is supposed to clean PVC, but my recent experience is that it will also eat off gold plating!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1096
Sergei

Quote:
Gents, acetone is supposed to clean PVC, but my recent experience is that it will also eat off gold plating!
Wow! What were you cleaning? It was not, by chance, a medal with a bit of gold paint used by somebody to 'enhance' appearance?
Sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #1097
Simon

Koinsolv is a neutral solvent recommended for cleaning PVC off coins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Koinsolv.jpg (21.7 KB, 4 views)
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #1098
RedMaestro2

What's the consensus on Riker cases, by the way? Safe (no chemical reactions) or hazardous?
RedMaestro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #1099
travel-north

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
Wow! What were you cleaning? It was not, by chance, a medal with a bit of gold paint used by somebody to 'enhance' appearance?
I used it for jubilee medals, voenkomat medals, wartime medals. All medals with gold coating were affected. And as far as I know there exists only one type of acetone. Mine was bought at a paint store.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #1100
medals73

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMaestro2 View Post
What's the consensus on Riker cases, by the way? Safe (no chemical reactions) or hazardous?
They have several problems: things can rub against the glass to the detriment or gilding or enamel, the stuffing can exude chemicals, the low-quality cardboard almost always exudes chemicals. They are intended for insects, not medals. All that being said, I use them (my wife is an entomologist and I can get them almost free).
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote