The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:22 AM   #91
plmurphy

Re: PayPal transaction

I had exactly the same experience with Paypal (only the medal was $502). I posted it by International Signed for mail, the Royal Mail confirmed that it was delivered in Hong Kong one week after I sent it, despite this the buyer claimed she never got it, filed a claim, and Paypal refunded her the full amount despite the proof of shipment and delivery which I provided to them.

plmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 AM   #92
matthijs

Doesn't paypal notice that some buyers never receive there items and take action against them? I have had the same problem some time ago with a buyer from the Ukraine, but I didn't send the medal registered.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:42 AM   #93
andrew6767

Paypal made me send fakes to them directly in the US before refunding me. Why would Paypal be stupid enough to think that you are going to be honest enough to destroy it and just trust you on that ?

It doesnt sound right to me.
andrew6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:21 AM   #94
ericlida

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmurphy View Post
I had exactly the same experience with Paypal (only the medal was $502). I posted it by International Signed for mail, the Royal Mail confirmed that it was delivered in Hong Kong one week after I sent it, despite this the buyer claimed she never got it, filed a claim, and Paypal refunded her the full amount despite the proof of shipment and delivery which I provided to them.

Nice.
PayPal makes you pay back for the medal the buyer received.
eBay does not let you place a negative feedback.
I should quit my job and start buying (for free) on eBay

Is this a practice for all buyers now?
On August 3 I sold the medal on eBay. I mailed it to Florida on August 6 or 7. I got E-mail from the buyer today stating that he files a claim with PayPal - it is already 7 days and he did not receive his medal
What to do with it? I would stop using PayPal
There is no protection for sellers.

Last edited by CtahhR; 04-15-2014 at 06:00 AM.
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM   #95
Kirchgoens

USPS priority w/tracking & signature

Wow. Beats me. Send priority mail with a tracking number and receipt signature required if this is a stateside transaction. All this will cost around $5-$6, but it might help to CYA. If you send this way, do it from the actual post office where they scan on-site so you get it officially into the mail system. If you do it from home with the printed online postage form, they don't always do the intial scan at pick-up. That should at least cover the stateside stuff (but not the "fake" scamming).

For overseas (relative to the US), I guess I now know to never send overseas unless it's a forum member or someone referred from someone I know.

Last edited by Kirchgoens; 08-12-2008 at 09:51 PM. Reason: I read the full string...
Kirchgoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #96
new world

Why not send your items insured and with proof of delivery?

You don't know for sure if the person received the medal or not, it could very well be the case that the medal was lost or stoles by his post office.

Always have yourself covered, especially for large amounts.

Just to illustrate my point - I recently sent several awards (worth few thousand dollars) to Europe.

Despite recipient asking me to use nominal amount of insurance - I insured for FULL cost.

It's better to be safe than sorry, always assume the worst possible outcome.

William

Last edited by CtahhR; 04-15-2014 at 06:02 AM.
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #97
Eryk

Thanks for sharing this re: paypal's policy. I'd heard of such things, but never first hand. Sorry about your losses.

Second the "tracking and insurance" recommendations. In the states over a hundred bucks I always insure it for free (without informing them before hand... often makes for very nice feedback!), and always use delivery receipt. Overseas, well, truth is I often don't offer to ship out of the states anymore.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:38 PM   #98
ericlida

The problem is that the buyer agreed to pay for the medal if I reduce the price of S&H from $5.00 to $2.00. I mailed it just 1st class.
This is a lesson for me. From now on I will be sending only with delivery confirmation. Insurance is not helpfull. You get your money back only if you have a receipt.
I think that all these problems come due to sellers not being able to place a negative feedback on eBay. Dishonest buyer or just even new buyers on eBay can use it as much as they want. Their feedback would always be 100% positive.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #99
SpaceCadet1983

Delivery Confirmation doesn't always guarantee delivery either. I mailed a rare military patch to a frequent buyer first class, insured with delivery confirmation and the Post Office lost it, or it was stolen. The Post Office's website said it had left the Post Office, then it vanished into thin air!
Old 08-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #100
ericlida

Forgot to tell another story.
As soon as my Latvia buyer filed the claim, EVERY DAY, TWICE-THREE TIMES a day I am getting spoof E-mails "from PayPal" letting me know that my account with PayPal will be closed bcause of this claim if I don't go to Claims Resolution NOW, asking me to verify my password. BTW, they are not writing Dear Customer, they are writing MY NAME.
I reported it to PayPal. They are spoof E-mails.