The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:14 AM   #281
Tretov

Re: Victory Day And Victory Parades

Quote:
Originally Posted by godefroy View Post
Exactly, what you would say about 7 orders of Lenin, seems this guy is a collector
Agreed, 7 orders of Lenin is way over the top, although Ustinov was the #1 collector sporting no less than 11 Order of Lenin. Still, I am more concerned with the three Octobers. Much may be Umalatova, yes. Much may be just crap.
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2016, 08:58 AM   #282
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Wishing everyone a happy 8 or 9 May Victory Day whenever you choose to celebrate it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z.jpg (27.2 KB, 11 views)
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:16 AM   #283
ABQ

Since today is Victory Day, I decided to walk through Botkin Cemetery located in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. It is a large cemetery with about 500,000 graves, mostly European. There is one particular section of the cemetery for those killed during the Soviet-Afghan War. In this section, I observed about ten men gathered in and around a few rows of Soviet Air Force pilots and aircrew. I decided to approach them and see if they were interested in speaking with me, which they were.

Three of the ten were wearing uniforms/medals. One man was wearing an Uzbek Jasorat medal (I later learned he received it for service during the Tajik Civil War, which I found interesting). Eight were pilots/aircrew, one was a mechanic, and the last guy was a morse radio operator. They were there to honor their comrades who were killed in Afghanistan, but a few also carried large photos of their grandfathers who had fought during WW2. They walked me through the rows, pointing out their friends, telling stories, explaining how they died, etc. Interestingly, none of the graves indicated they were killed in Afghanistan, just something along the lines of, "killed serving the Soviet Union during international service." They explained that at the time of their deaths, the government forbid families from mentioning anything about Afghanistan on the gravestones. There were a few awkward minutes as they specifically pointed out those killed by, "your Stingers." However, we eventually made our way through this sensitive topic. After about 45 minutes, they poured me a shot of vodka and we toasted to their lost friends. After the toast, we all walked out of the cemetery together and went our separate ways.

I did not take photos today, but here is a photo of the same area from a previous trip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Botkin.jpg (50.3 KB, 10 views)
ABQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #284
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Victory Day Kyiv 9 MAY 2017

With the cold weather breaking and preparation for Eurovision, Kyiv was quite enjoyable. The display downplayed the Soviet WWII contribution but cast Ukraine's contribution as an allied effort, highlighting accomplished Ukrainian- Soviet, British, Polish, and US veterans. An example is Ukrainian-American Michael Strenk (pictured below) who fought in the Pacific.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0168.jpg (24.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0169.jpg (26.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0170.jpg (24.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by desantnik; 05-09-2017 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:40 AM   #285
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: Victory Day Kyiv 9 MAY 2017

Continuation from above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0171.jpg (18.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0172.jpg (25.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0173.jpg (24.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-14-2017, 10:07 PM   #286
Spoonman

Speaking of Victory Day in Kiev, my friend Valeriy went back home (he recently relocated to Portugal around the time the Crimea issue started flaring up). Since he knows I'm all into medals and history, he took a photo of his great granddad's medal booklets (he couldn't find the medals).

Also, I'm completely trying to get my 10 posts in so that I can see the database.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 18387136_1670158169666591_1023468725_n.jpg (49.3 KB, 7 views)
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote