The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:55 PM   #201
Tretov

I can only speak for the nordic countries, but carrying a knife or weapon like the ones you mention would be a crime.
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #202
Christophe

I can provide protection to "your rather attractive woman" ...
But, if you prefer make the acquisition of a nice missile system (very short range, anti tank, ground to air... all options available), please let me know.

But, maybe the best option is to avoid Europe... so dangerous...

I'm just kidding.

Seriously, really no concern with the European countries you mentioned!! And, please, let your "toys" at home, except if you want to visit one of our nice European jails...

Cheers.

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #203
Al-muell

Even in those "less civilized" countries it's quite safe. Some people consider me a bit crazy when they discover that I am carrying a penknife (a small one) with me. And it's the former Eastern Block after all.
As for carrying a big knife in open - I know a guy who is a member f a "knight brotherhood". once he went to the street in chain armour and with his sword (they had some sort of a show on that day). Well, a group of three policemen asked if they can have a photo with him, while later, another policeman wated to arrest him... Luckily for him it turned out that it's no longer a crime to wear a knife that has a blade longer than 10cm on You.
Al-muell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #204
Nack

Yup, our European friends don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to weapons. Leave it in the state up north.

Europe is hella safe. Egypt I don't know anything about. No need to be paranoid. Some general tips though:

1) you will see Canadians everywhere sporting tons of "Canada" gear--hats, patches on their packs, etc. They go out of their way to distinguish themselves from Americans. Don't do the same back and wear all kinds of USA stuff. In general, keep a somewhat low profile. You need not wear all tight black clothing though.

2) be a traveler, not a tourist. Try not to be hammered in a pub and tell everyone how soccer sucks, for example. You will be punched.

3) use common sense in guarding your stuff. E.g., use one of those money belt things, or better yet, have a fleece vest you wear everywhere with the pockets in the chest--noone has ever got to my $ in there. Don't leave your pack unattended, and so on.

The bottom line is that Europe is probably safer than US cities, as if you were to encounter crime in the EU, it will more than likely be of the pickpocket variety, not a "violent" crime. So, you don't need any weapons anyway.

Non-Americans can spot us from a 100 yards. There are tons of clues. You can't avoid it. Just try to fit in and not be a jackass.
Nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:12 PM   #205
Christophe

I just would like to say 2 golden rules :

1. Respect and apply the local law where you are.

2. No weapon needed, even in the "less civilized" countries...

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM   #206
medals73

In fact, if you are a US citizen, it may be good to pick up some "I am a Canadian, don't hate me" false advertising, patches and so on for the backpack. Though they are no longer quite the Good Guys they used to be, anything can help. Only when you are forced to drag out the passport with the Screaming Eagle will your "cover" be broken (though I have seen some nice maple-leaf passport wallets . . .).

And keep in mind that most people in the world judge US women by their advertizing on US television and movies . . . enough said?? They are all sluts, or so it seems based on these sources.
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:08 PM   #207
latinmajorac

thank you!

like i said perhaps i am just a bit paranoid due to the fact that we will be camping most everywhere we go (no hostels even) so being in the wilderness leads me to remember scenes from the wilderness (of america) movie Deliverance :-)

and the implication was definitely NOT there that europeans are uncivilized, but again, it was the fact that we would be staying outside of major city areas made me more worried than if we had hotels and more firm travel dates set up. so perhaps a good money belt and a heightened sense of paranoia are all that i need :-)

thank you for all of your help!
Somehow finding money for my next medal purchase? Priceless

starving college kid: will do calculus for Medals

Newly promoted to the Deputy Kapusta Commander position
latinmajorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #208
latinmajorac

just a few comments that i have picked up through the thread.

1. i absolutely LOVE international soccer, none of that MLS bull**** we play here. Manchester United baby

2. england will win the Rugby word cup i do believe

3. i already have a canadian passport holder :-) best 20$ ever spent

4. she is quite beautifu and she is more than prepared to marry the richest european she can find so she can live in europe the rest of her life :-D

5. i agree about the US. there are a LOT of very dangerous places that my friend and i have camped in, and we both carry 5 inch knives that double as utility knives. you know us americans, armed to the teeth :-D
Somehow finding money for my next medal purchase? Priceless

starving college kid: will do calculus for Medals

Newly promoted to the Deputy Kapusta Commander position
latinmajorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:27 PM   #209
Esteban_cool

Marc:

having been twice in Italy, here´s my two pesos

1. You´ll have to get some gooooood cash to get some gooooood italian food (the real and tasty one, not the plastic cheese junk you get at those cheap fast food pizza). The "servizi di coperto"(the fee for sitting and using the table) in a good restaurant will cost you 6-8 € approx.

2. Don´t run away from their hugs and kisses if they like you and your friend. most of them will get pretty angry if you do, and having an angry italian next to you is not something I reccomend. You won´t get slaughtered by Don Corleone or Clemenza,() but no one there will help you if you get lost or in trouble.

3. If you visit the south, be sure to visit Taranto. It is one of the few cheap places in Italy (the north is very very expensive...), it has nice walks by the sea, beautiful buildings and all that stuff.
Putignano, Alberobello and their Trulli (traditional stone houses of the Puglia province) are also very nice towns I encourage you to visit.

I´ll give you some more advices soon, my friend. The last one I can give you is to forget about carrying weapons of any kind; believe me, I know what happens.

Esteban
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM   #210
medals73

Remember, "Deliverance" was set in South Carolina, not in Egypt, Greece, Italy, France, or Belgium. People are civilized at your destinations, and have never set fingernails or pick to banjo. (And, in Egypt, "squealing like a pig" will definately NOT be popular).

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinmajorac View Post
5. i agree about the US. there are a LOT of very dangerous places that my friend and i have camped in, and we both carry 5 inch knives that double as utility knives. you know us americans, armed to the teeth :-D
As others have said, treat these places as you do the US, knives and all, and I suspect you'll get to enjoy extra free lodging in local jails (and, given recent treaty issues, the US Embassy will not be able to help you).

Get the relevant "Lonely Planet" guides, leave your US paranoia (and weaponry) at home, and ENJOY! You will get to meet real people, not surly hotel employees, though learning a bit of the language where you go will help 10000%.
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote