The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

View Poll Results: Repair or not
Leave the damn thing alone! Don't mess with what looks like a period repair 12 54.55%
Have the solder removed to make the serial number readable 9 40.91%
Repair the enamel only 0 0%
Remove the solder AND repair the enamel 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-23-2002, 09:05 AM   #21
CZ
Banned

Why bad condition?

Comrade,

why is your GLORY in a bad condition - it's perfect?

The medal itself is perfect with translucent enamel and the ribbon is a little bit soiled and worn out - just as it should be.

Dave Schwind has hundreds of them in this condition and a lot in a really "used" condition in his GLORY-3c-collection.

Keep it as it is.

Regards from Vienna
CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2002, 09:25 AM   #22
Tal Inbar

The order of glory is perhaps the "soldier's order" of distinction IN COMBAT. with such high value in the eyes of the soldiers, no wonder that the orders were worn all the time, so they got torn ribbons etc.

Tal
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:33 AM   #23
Art
Forum Founder

Right, same with Red Banner. I leave all awards in original condition. The condition is part of its history.

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2002, 11:40 AM   #24
REDMAXIM2001
Banned

THAT´S RIGHT

THAT´S RIGHT... (???) sorry: THAT´S LEFT.

I prefer original items too.

I cannot imagine me changing any piece of my items!!!. It was only that mistery (solved by Mr. Tal) why just Glory´s look more used.

You are the very best
Old 06-25-2002, 08:33 AM   #25
new world

Question in relation to cleaning of awards

Hello everybody,

I have a group in my collection that seems to be taken care of in rather unusual manner. It appers that all orders are coverered with a layer of some laquer.

The metal looks dark and a bit oily, with the shades of light brown. I did not dare to remove any of that coating from the observe of the awards, but I did try applying a bit of nail polish remover with q-tip on the reverse of Order GPW 2nd, and was able to take off some of the coating.

I don't know whether it was done by the veteran or by someone else. I tend to think it was veteran why did this, as some of the coating is worn out on the tips of the stars where metal was touching the clothing material.

Have any of you ever seen such treatment of Soviet awards?

Best regards,
New World
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 12:32 PM   #26
Nota Bene

New World,

I have never seen anything like you describe. I think I would leave them as they are.

Alexei
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 04:26 PM   #27
Art
Forum Founder

New world,

I've seen that, as well as the vet who insisted on keeping his awards super polished and in doing so managed to rub so much polish into the nooks and crannies, all the details had a white outline around them.

I would leave the lacquer coating alone. Using a chemical to take it off might loosen other things like enamel. Also, if there were any repairs done with the "plastic" type of enamel, I don't know how well they would react.

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 01:04 PM   #28
mcwirsk

Sorry Guys

But I disagree with you. No soldier ever went on parade with dirty medals and ribbons. If he did he would be charged.

I think that unless there is a very good reason for not cleaning then medals should be cleaned, re-ribboned and presented like the soldier would wear them.

Only if the piece is in near mint condition and nicely toned would I leave it alone or if its "feels" like it should be left alone. All ypu collectors know that feeling when dealing with certain pieces - OTHERWISE clean them......

If you clean a medal properly it will take year to tone evenly. BUT I have seen a solution used by jewlers that give you an instanteous oxidation and makes silver medals a beautiful black tone. You have to be a real expert to know that its been treated. Its called oxidizing liquid and is available to in the jewlery trade. If tou want to see a piece treated like this I can send in a scan.

If you need to clean your medals here are some tips.

1. Vertigis - soak the item in tomato suace - you guys call it ketchup over night.
2. Silver dip can be used byt be careful becuase this gives the silver a white color and not the nice blue colr we all like.
3. toothpaste cleans silver very nicely and does not do much damage. You use a toothbrush and lots of water. it also helps to get the residue out.

Kind regards

Munroe
mcwirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #29
Nota Bene

Munroe,

I guess you are right, it's a matter of preference. But I still think the idea behind this hobby is to preserve the items in the condition they were when they had left the veteran's hands.

Most dealers prefer not to buy awards that were cleaned.

Alexei
Old 06-26-2002, 01:16 PM   #30
Nota Bene

Oh, just one more thing. Cleaning with toothpaste and a toothbrush will leave scratches on the silver, and will damage the gold-plating.

Alexei