The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

View Poll Results: Repair or not
Leave the damn thing alone! Don't mess with what looks like a period repair 12 54.55%
Have the solder removed to make the serial number readable 9 40.91%
Repair the enamel only 0 0%
Remove the solder AND repair the enamel 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2006, 11:05 AM   #261
Soviet

How to remove a sticker?

Hello,

I believe that this order had a price tag on it and I'd like to remove what seems to be very old and hard glue. I think that by using lighter fuel it will definitely damage my medal. Any idea what I can use on a small corner to see if it can go out without damaging my order?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Soviet; 12-19-2006 at 01:35 AM.
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #262
matteti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Hello,

I believe that this order had a price tag on it and I'd like to remove what seems to be very old and hard glue. I think that by using lighter fuel it will definitely damage my medal. Any idea what I can use on a small corner to see if it can go out without damaging my order?

Thanks for any help!

http://static.flickr.com/69/177302064_267ac1a518_o.jpg
Soviet, have you tried with hand soap (neutral ph) and water... I have had good result on a Partisan 1st class medal with soap+water and then rubbing the award with a facial tissue. It was not glue, but kind of greenish oxydation which I was able to entirely remove.

You might need to rub hard, but that is not a facial tissue that will destroy the back of a BoH!

Would be interested to hear other's opinions as well.
matteti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:39 AM   #263
Auke

Hot water and a tooth brush?
Auke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:40 AM   #264
Dzerzhinsky

Try to use furniture polish on the sticky area and rub it continually until the substance is removed.

"We stand for organised terror . . . Terror is an absolute necessity during times of revolution . . . The Cheka is obliged to defend the revolution and conquer the enemy even if its sword does by chance sometimes fall on the heads of the innocent."

Felix Dzerzhinsky
Dzerzhinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:58 AM   #265
Yeti

acetone and q-tip, (is that what it's called?) worked well on a IAB with glue from a pricetag. Didn't loose any patina.

/Erik
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 12:03 PM   #266
Soviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzerzhinsky View Post
Try to use furniture polish on the sticky area and rub it continually until the substance is removed.
Well there is nothing sticky on it I have to say! It is really hard. I'm not sure if it was a price tag, but it does look like it was.

I'm kind of afraid to use Acetoneé I do not want to arm the order with anything chemical!

I'll first try with water and tooth bruch, then with soap. I'll go the softer way first!
Old 12-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #267
Manu Dalton

Lets try with the good old soap and water, most of the time thats work.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #268
Lapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Well there is nothing sticky on it I have to say! It is really hard. I'm not sure if it was a price tag, but it does look like it was.
I'm kind of afraid to use Acetoneé I do not want to arm the order with anything chemical!
Soviet,

Acetone is inert when it comes to metals or enamel. It will in no way damage your order, it will not even remove the patina if any.
I have been using acetone on gold, silver, copper, brass, steel, iron, etc for now close to 20 years without any problem.
In some cases, you may even need to soak your medal in it for some period of time. I have a Mongolian Order of the Red Banner of Labor on which the medallion had fallen and been badly glued back on. The glue was had and brown, and the medallion was sititng crooked. I had to soak it for a couple of days, but the acetone simply dissolved the glue; nothig else happened to my order

Marc

PS: make sure to use it only in a well ventilated place, away from any open fire!
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:16 PM   #269
Soviet

Thanks for the explanation Marc. It's very interesting to know!

I'll post the results when done!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #270
willie777

Possibly rubbing alcohol may do. Be careful to place it in a dustless area after applying as alcohol promotes adhesion.I dont see how it would harm the metal or enamel. enamel is glass, and thats what i clean my windows with.
willie777 is offline   Reply With Quote