The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 10-30-2003, 10:01 AM   #51
Dante688i

Practical Medal Care

Hello everyone,

I wasn't sure where to start this thread, so I thought general talk would be the best place to start.

In doing some reading on storing my collections, I was wondering if anyone had any problems with wood/glass topped shadow-type boxes. Basically, after a while of keeping the medals in the cases, I noticed that the continued contact between the medals and the glass might be a problem. Has anyone noticed this? I may looking for problems that aren't there, but keeping my collection in good shape is important.

Secondly, I had a question on supplies. Some of you may have used small plastic cases to transport medals. They usually fit a single suspended medal and have a flip cover top. I have found them to be invaluable in sending medals by mail. My question is if anyone knows where I can purchase/get some of these cases.

Thanks everyone for your time and hope your enjoying a great day.

-Sean
Old 10-30-2003, 10:20 AM   #52
new world

Sean,

In reference to plastic envelopes.

There are two sources that I know of:

1) Web site of a canadian company (forgot the name, will try to locate it later on) - they sell the envelopes, as well as the envelope holders that would hold six medals and would fit standard 3-ring binder;

2) On any military show there's always at least one dealer selling those envelopes in bulk.

Best regards,
William
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:17 PM   #53
HuliganRS

Out of curiosity...

What is your logic? Why would contact with glass do anything to the medal?

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:34 PM   #54
Dante688i

Well, to be honest Rusty, there isn't much behind it. A friend of mine experianced a problem where, in a case, the glass top that basically holds the medals in place seemed to put a lot of pressure on an attached decoration of a medal. It looked like the pressure forced the piece to seperate from the medal.

Like I said, not much there, but since there are a lot of experianced collectors on the forum, I thought I see other people's thoughts.

Well, thanks everyone for replying, I appreciate the help.

-Sean
Old 10-31-2003, 03:50 AM   #55
otlichnik

The glass in the display cases can be a problem. The glass is pressed down on the medals and badges. The glass is less hard than the metal of the medals but can still cause wear. More seriously, it can damage the enamel of any old/poorer quality badge or other item. I have chipped enamel on an old badge that way before.

If this is a problem you can add some long wooden strips, generally 1" by 1" along the edges of the case which will keep the glass off the items. he however you run into the problem that the items are lose and can shift around. If this is the case you can pin or screw the items onto a backing. I always line my cases with black or burgundy velvet (you can usually fine cheap "ends" at a fabric store.)

By the way, plastic hockey/baseball card holder pages can be used to store the medal award books!

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:32 AM   #56
Dave

Sean:

I've been storing my awards in wood and glass frames for the past five years now, and have never had a problem. Ther isn't sufficient pressure on the award to do any damage, and the nice thing about most Soviet awards is that the highest part is normally metal, instead of enamel so the chances of damage are even less. I have found that this is the best way to store awards, though I'm also lucky that my wife allows me to have an entire room of these frames!

--Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frameforum.jpg (44.2 KB, 279 views)
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 07:40 AM   #57
Christophe

Dave,

Very nice. Congratulations !!

Your wife should also consider herself as extremely lucky to have such an empty room filled !!!

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:29 AM   #58
HuliganRS

Dave is right, the contact should be minimal unless the glass lies on the medals... but then common sence should take over and like Shawn advised to use spacers.

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 10:59 AM   #59
kameli

The pressure of the glass is harmful, but I think that the air humidity is the worst thing for the medals.

If the glass is close to the medals the air humidity become tight on the medals surface. This could damage the medals, for example make mould on the medals.
An ordinary air humidity in a room can do that.

So there have to be a few millimetres space between the glass and the medals in the display cases.
Dave,

your display cases amaze me!

They look ALMOST same than my self made display cases, only your cases seems to be a larger ones than mine.

So I have to say that You have a very good taste!

Jussi-Pekka

Last edited by CtahhR; 07-03-2013 at 05:30 PM.
kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 12:02 PM   #60
Dolf

Where to find them?

Dave,

Can you please let us know where to find those beautiful wood and glass frames you use to store your Collection?

Or did you build them yourself?

If nor allowed to post that information, can you please send me a PM?

Thank you very much.

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote