The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Republic Of Cuba > Cuban Uniforms

Old 12-30-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
Al-muell

Cuban Uniforms In Wear.

A few pictures of cuban servicemen in their uniforms taken recently.

The photographs were taken from distance and aren't too good, as it is forbidden to photograph servicemen unless You have a special permission.

First, we have a primer suboficial (senior warrant officer) in "every-day" uniform. These funny shirts with short sleeves and 4 pockets are worn by many other services - for sure by MINIT, Customs official and Immigration and Foreigners Administration. In the army it seems to be worn for everyday out of formation service, using soviet terms.

Next one is segundo suboficial (Warrant officer) of the Ministry of interior in service uniform - this one seems to be off-duty. Interestingly, I have seen the "ministerio del interior" patch worn over both right and left breast pocket, so I asume it's not a fixed position. His cap seems to be "hard" version - not sure if they are made that way or do simply some soldiers modify them to preserve the shape in all conditions.

The third one is either mayor suboficial or primer suboficial - I forgot which - of the MININT in service uniform. He is a guard (the only one) at a historical/museum site. Note that he has the ministerio del interior patch on the left side. He also has the makarov pistol as a weapon (not so obvious thing actually)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oficer - holguin.jpg (117.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Minit-holg.jpg (88.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg wartownik - biran.jpg (74.5 KB, 10 views)
Al-muell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2016, 04:07 AM   #2
Al-muell

Re: Cuban uniforms in wear

Not sure if the red berets indicate military police or what, but I have seen them in wear only by soldiers on patrol and guard service. They are FAR, not MINIT.
Those on guard service (at least at st Efigenia cementary) wear empty holsters, meaning that they are armed only with the clubs.

Another example - with close-up on the rank patch, FAR patch (with "Prevencion" caption suggesting that they may be MPs). The beret patch is plastic, while the FAR patch is machine embroidered, although I don't know if it is the rule.

They are both Sargentos de tercera (3rd or junior sgts), but I have no idea what function the "T" indicates.
I have seen badges worn on those uniform, so probably it is normal to wear badges and ribbons on them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg straz - st efig.jpg (99.9 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg straz - st efig2.jpg (82.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 12-30-2016, 04:16 AM   #3
Al-muell

The honor guards guarding Jose Marti's tomb (2 of them) and Fidel Castro's grave (1).

The uniform is what appears to be standard parade uniform with "motor rifle" emblems on lapels and plain red tabs on collar. They also have what appears to be soviet-style junior officer shoulderboards that show their status as honor guards, not their rank (they are probably privates, also, FAR stopped using soviet-style shoulderboards as rank indicators in 2000 unless I am mistaken).

The sleeve patch shows the picture of Jose Marti's tomb and the letters FAR at the bottom. What's interesting is the fact, that the guard at Fidel's Tomb has the same patch. The belt is based on Soviet parade belts, but they are actually a bit different - probably a local manufacture. Also the buckle is no longer painted. The guards change every 30 minutes, which is understandable as the temperatures in Santiago de Cuba tend to be inbearable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0474.jpg (110.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0475.jpg (106.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0476.jpg (113.6 KB, 7 views)
Old 12-30-2016, 04:20 AM   #4
Al-muell

Few more shots of them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0477.jpg (117.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (116.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0482.jpg (110.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 12-30-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Al-muell

Not sure if these guys were on patrol or they were just returning to barracks after their guard service, but they also had empty holsters.

A general observation: just as in Russia, military jackets, tousers and caps are quite commonly used as work clothing in Cuba's rural areas, as they are durable, practical and easily available (every male Cuban has to serve unless medical condition prohibits that, and every famale Cuban can serve if she volunteers). Because of that, if You are travelling on your own, getting a piece of cuban uniform seems to be an easy task.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0548.jpg (117.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #6
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Re: Cuban Uniforms In Wear.

Great pics - thanks for the contribution!
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-muell View Post
Not sure if the red berets indicate military police or what, but I have seen them in wear only by soldiers on patrol and guard service. They are FAR, not MINIT.
Those on guard service (at least at st Efigenia cementary) wear empty holsters, meaning that they are armed only with the clubs.

Another example - with close-up on the rank patch, FAR patch (with "Prevencion" caption suggesting that they may be MPs). The beret patch is plastic, while the FAR patch is machine embroidered, although I don't know if it is the rule.

They are both Sargentos de tercera (3rd or junior sgts), but I have no idea what function the "T" indicates.
I have seen badges worn on those uniform, so probably it is normal to wear badges and ribbons on them.

Just to confirm that Tropas the Prevencìon are like MPs and they adopted red beret (pics attached).

Red Beret were also adopted by Avispas Negras (SF) till 2012. After that they changed to green one
pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #8
Al-muell

Re: Cuban Uniforms In Wear.

Thanks for clarifying!