The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

View Poll Results: When did you start collecting Soviet Awards ?
I have been awarded Soviet medals and don't collect them 2 1.30%
I've been awarded Soviet medals and collected them before 1991 0 0%
I've been awarded Soviet medals and started collecting them after 1991 3 1.95%
I started collecting before 1991 13 8.44%
I started collecting just after 1991 39 25.32%
I started collecting after PMD's book publishing - 1997 22 14.29%
I started collecting after this Forum existed - 2002 73 47.40%
I'm interested in, but don't collect them. 2 1.30%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2004, 12:52 AM   #11
rboomsma

I started collecting in 2001, I had a medal victory over germany with no hanger that I found in wife's fathers house in Russia. And it took off from there.

I just wish I was more interested in them when I first started going to Russia in 1995.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2004, 01:44 AM   #12
Lauri

i started 2002 & my first award was order of october revolution nr 7*** awarded to my grandmother in the middle of seventies. And so it started. I collect only soviet orders, medals and badges.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:45 AM   #13
Christophe

Very interesting...
One of us has ticked the box : "I've been awarded Soviet medals and started collecting them after 1991".

I don't want to believe it is a ticking mistake...

Who is the Forum Member who has been awarded a Soviet medal ? And which one ?
I have an idea about who (with regards to other threads...), but I'm not sure... I would be very interested in knowing more...

May this Forum Member elaborate about this ? Or, if he considers this as too much "private", please, can he send me a PM ?

More and more interesting...
Now, two (2) of us have ticked one of the boxes : "I've been awarded Soviet medals...".

Who are the Forum Members who have been awarded a Soviet medal ? And which one (or ones)?

May these Forum Members post about this, or if they consider this as too much "private", please, can they send me a PM ?

Many thanks in advance.

Ch.

Last edited by CtahhR; 02-06-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:15 PM   #14
Janna

I started collecting not yet...

Actually my husband is the collector. Because I am russian I love all the medals and orders too and it is very interesting to know as much as possible about that stuff.

He started in 2002, first without my support but now I translate documents, websites, books, made his showcases... and joined this forum.

The first medals we had were all fakes... 4 pieces... when we noticed it I was angry and told him to give up this hobby but he did not and so his first medal was a liberation of Warsaw and the first order a Order of the Great Patr. War 2nd class.

Janna
Old 12-09-2004, 04:54 PM   #15
Christophe

And now 3!!!

Now 3 Members have been awarded Soviet medals !!!!

Who are these Forum Members ? And which medals have they been awarded?

May these Forum Members post about this, or if they consider this as too much "private", please, can they send me a PM ?

I hope it is not ticking mistakes....

BTW, for those who have not already voted, please do !! Only 51 votes... Please, VOTE !!

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:49 AM   #16
RobInKiev

Getting serious about collecting

In 1991 I picked up a couple of cap insignias (genuine) in Budapest but didn't really get interested in Soviet medals & badges until I arrived in Kiev last month. So far, my favorite piece isn't Russian. It's a mint condition 1990 Yugoslavian Border Guard cap emblem. With the help of my Ukrainian translator and shopping partner, I'm sure I'll change that around. I've found two reputable flea market dealers so far and as I'll be in Ukraine for about 3 years, with her help and a slow economy, I hope to pick up some choice pieces.

(If anyone has a recommendation re a good pocket guide to carry around with me - please let me know.)

Thanks, Rob in Kiev

Old 12-31-2004, 07:38 AM   #17
Christophe

Vote !! Vote !!

I'm still wondering who could be the 3 Members who have been awarded Soviet medals...

Who are these Forum Members ? And which medals have they been awarded?
Please, would these Forum Members post about this... except if they prefer keeping full privacy...

BTW, for those who have not already voted, please do !! Only 53 votes... Please, VOTE !!

Cheers.

Ch.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:32 PM   #18
Dante688i

A Pleasant Surprise!

Like many others, I started with a couple of cap badges - all because at the ridiculously young age of 13 - 14 I saw this Russian Naval Officers cap that I just had to have. So I started around 1995 - 1996.

The best part of all was the original dealer I met here at gun shows in the midwest of the US. He was a US Army dentist whose travels had taken through Europe and began his interest in collecting.

Needless to say, after I say my first Soviet orders, I was hooked and I've been collectiong since!

P.S. Seriously, its great we have members who have been actually awarded Soviet commendations - please tell us about it!
Old 02-09-2005, 04:41 AM   #19
marc-

I have already medals and orders around 1996 without I knew what the was.
I' collect not on regelantige a basis, but had no reverential martial (books, experienced forager who what explanation gives)
I have been aimed will collect in 2004, after I have bought the "book"
I collect also, helmets whit cuirasses

Marc
Old 05-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #20
redmedals

I started collecting Soviet medals in 1999 my first piece was an Order of the Patriotic War 1st class 1985 issue bought from a militaria dealer at a Coin-Stamp and Militaria Show for $10 Cdn (talked him down from $20Cdn). At the time I was struck by the beauty of this award and I thought it was a nice contrast to my Iron Crosses. The whole Eastern Front Adversaries thing appealed to me. It certainly has come a long way since that first simple piece which I still have too by the way.
Ron