The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Soviet States > Russian Federation > Federal Medals

Old 12-10-2003, 07:41 PM   #11
j h beers

The example of this medal that I have is gold in color. Some reference books show silver, some gold. Does anybody know what the proper color of the metal is supposed to be?

For the record, I've seen a number of these over the years at many different shows (in both gold and silver) but none of them have had a serial number...

JHB
j h beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2003, 10:48 AM   #12
Taz

Hi JHB,
http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Russia...FreeRussia.htm
under this link there are a few pics, and the bottom Two are of a Gold coloured medal, It however says that they are un-documented and could be Fakes. So I think Original Medals are Silver but I,m not 100% sure.
As regards to the serial number, in one of my Catalogs from a few years back one was being sold with an award number, that is why I asked if this was generally the case. By the look of things though a lot of Medals are in circulation without numbers.
Eddie
Old 12-11-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
j h beers

One book showed the medal in gold color and said that it was a "projected" design. The gold colored one that I have is a coin struck medal with what I think of as a standard Russian/Soviet gold colored finish and in the standard "campagn medal" size.

Who knows? I've long believed that mint workers manufactured large "over-runs" of every badge or medal for which they had a legit manufacturing order and then just carried the extras out in their lunch boxes.

JHB
j h beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:49 PM   #14
Nota Bene

Guys,

I have seen one of those brass medals, and I can't explain it either. I am fairly confident that this brass medal is mint production. It could be a variation or an unfinished product, because the "silver" one is made of nickel-plated brass.

Alexei
Nota Bene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 10:08 AM   #15
Taz

Alexi & JHB,
Thanks for the help, I,ve just brought the above Medal so if anything seems wrong with it I,ll let you know.

Price €10,99 ($17,03)

I don,t think thats too bad, if it turns out to be a fake I,ll have to learn from my mistake.
Thanks again Eddie.
Old 12-13-2003, 09:37 PM   #16
Nota Bene

Eddie,

Nobody can tell for sure from a scan, but it looks OK to me. What worries me is the price - a genuine medal should cost $80-100, so if you bought it from a dealer, not a collector, something has to be wrong :(

Alexei
Old 12-14-2003, 06:08 AM   #17
Taz

Alexei Hi,
The price is indeed very low!
The Medal I mentioned before from the Catalog with Award number was being sold for DM 325 = € 160,60 = $172 approx, too expensive in my opinion.
Without saying you probably know where I brought the Medal ( yes everybodys Auction site that begins with E )
The buy it now price was about $30,still low but unless the seller really informs himself of the going prices of these Medals where does he set the price?
I don,t think there is a Catalog with Russian Federation prices out yet, I get my prices from the forum here and various Medal sites.
The description was Medal, Russian, Original a little bit vague for a Dealer or collecter so maybe I was just lucky.
When the Medal arrives would measurments, weight help to clear this one up?
Eddie
Old 12-14-2003, 04:29 PM   #18
Nota Bene

Eddie,

Here's a genuine medal for comparison. Hope it helps.

Alexei
Attached Images
File Type: jpg democr.jpg (26.3 KB, 84 views)
Old 12-14-2003, 04:47 PM   #19
Tal Inbar

This fake is sold for $10. Look at the ring:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (22.0 KB, 93 views)
Old 12-15-2003, 03:44 PM   #20
Taz

Alexei & Tal,
Thanks again Guys!
Alexei just out of interest have you any idea why the ribbon on your Medal is back to front? as far as I know the St Georges stripes should be on the outside as in Tals fake & the scans/pics that I posted.

I received my Medal Today and everything looks just fine. The detail obvers & reverse is even better than shown in the pics I posted, very clearly defined.
Diameter - 34mm
Width - 2,9-3mm(can,t measure exactly at the moment)
Weight - ?
By the way I chatted to the seller again and he assured me that it was Original just hadn't been issued.
What a Bargain at $17,00 ;)

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year
Eddie