The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 03-29-2007, 04:18 AM   #11
Lapa

From looking at the list, the prices realized were refreshingly lower than what we have been accustomed to seeing offered on leading US sites.

Marc
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
new world

Someone bought:
- Kutuzov 3rd cl for $4400,
- Nevsky T1 for $1000,
- Nevsky T2 for $1500,
- HSL SN580 w ID for $1200,
- Labor Red Banner screwbacks for $1500-1600.

That's really good deal if the awards are original!!!
Old 03-29-2007, 07:01 AM   #13
Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by new world View Post
Someone bought:
- Kutuzov 3rd cl for $4400,
- Nevsky T1 for $1000,
- Nevsky T2 for $1500,
- HSL SN580 w ID for $1200,
- Labor Red Banner screwbacks for $1500-1600.

That's really good deal if the awards are original!!!
Vlad,
Don't forget the prices are in Euros, not in USD. Also, add 18% for buyers comission. Plus shipping. The price of Kutuzov 3 would be $7000 instead of 4400. It's still a good price but not so cheap anymore considering their return policy and so on.
Old 04-04-2007, 03:41 PM   #14
Finnmedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by desantnik View Post
Paul said he received a copy of the catalog AFTER the OMSA show, otherwise he would have had a few choice words with Klimovich and Tiainen in person. He's not real happy with them right now. Paul's words - if it doesn't have a COA, it doesn't mean anything.

Despite Medal House's "guarantee" and the fact there are good pieces in the auction, I would steer clear of this entire operation. The collecting community must police itself and despite Mr. Tiainen seeming to be "a nice guy", this is at best, a gross misrepresentation with plenty of guaranteed fakes.

Mr. T's conditions of his "guarantee" are also not specified. Will he return the cost of the COA verifying the item is a fake, for example? How about the 18% "buyer's commission"? His own conditions stated under returns "Under no circumstances the return will be accepted once the consignor has been paid."

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Hello,

If you have any questions related to MedalHouse or terms & Conditions of the auction feel free to contact me directly. Email address is on our web site.

Regarding desantnik's questions; I have not heard that Mr. McDaniel is unhappy(?) He is just the approved expert in case of questionable item.

Buyer's commission would be returned as well in case of refund.

Please ask us first before writing about our terms and conditions on forums.

With best regards,
Jani Tiainen
Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 AM   #15
Lapa

Jani,

Terms and conditions of an auction house are publicly published materials. If they happen to be unclear or imprecise, the onus is on your side.
Once something is publicly published, it is available for analysis and comments from all.

As to Desantnik (Paul Schmitt in real life, co-author of the Comprehensive Encyclopedia), I am inclined to believe that he is in much closer and constant contact with Paul McDaniel than you may be.

Marc
Old 04-05-2007, 06:12 PM   #16
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnmedals View Post
Regarding desantnik's questions; I have not heard that Mr. McDaniel is unhappy(?) He is just the approved expert in case of questionable item.
Jani, Mr. McDaniel is extremely unhappy about your claim. I've known him closely for 15 years and spent a week at his house last month, during which time we discussed your catalog. Feel free to contact him and I guarantee you won't like the answer.

Your catalog presents photographic evidence that many of the items you offered for auction were either not original or altered and would not have gained the approval of Paul McDaniel or any other knowledgeable authority. You were wrong to make such a claim under cover of Paul's reputation, then cover your position by offering to make a refund in the event Paul McDaniel found something not as advertised - sounds a little contradictory, doesn't it?

I support any well-researched, honest contribution to the hobby and yours failed miserably.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:44 AM   #17
Finnmedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapa View Post
Jani,

Terms and conditions of an auction house are publicly published materials. If they happen to be unclear or imprecise, the onus is on your side.
Once something is publicly published, it is available for analysis and comments from all.

As to Desantnik (Paul Schmitt in real life, co-author of the Comprehensive Encyclopedia), I am inclined to believe that he is in much closer and constant contact with Paul McDaniel than you may be.

Marc
You are correct, but to be able to get correct explanation for something that is not clear, the easiest and fastest way is to ask me.

I am not arguing about McDaniel and have not heard from him since SOS. I just dont know what was the reason for his unhappiness (?). I would have believed that I had heard it from him (Or from my partner in Medalhouse).

I will forward this issue to my partner since he is the one that is responsible in Soviet items, their descriptions and authentification. I remember Mr McDaniel checking all the items at OMSA 2007 convention and I got idea that he approved them and the main idea of being "accepted" expert with the auction. Naturally that information is not the same as his Certificate and it was not meant to be - I am sorry if the letter gave this idea.

The main idea was - and still is, that we would work with him in this auction and in the future as well and he would be the one authority, that would solve any problems in case of reclamation concerning authenticity of any item. So far there are no issues and I do not believe will be.

Generally I honestly see that terms & Conditions of our auction are still among the best regarding the warranty & Authentification issue. We will try our best to make the appendix more clear before our next auction.

With best regards,
Jani Tiainen
Old 04-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #18
scook17

Jani,

I for one would have been unhappy had I actually bought something. When I read the catalogue, as I understood it, the lots had been seen and approved by Paul. Paul carries a great deal of respect and to use his name without his permission is bordering on fraud in my book.

I was very tempted to get a flight over to Finland to attend, if only to meet fellow collectors and spend a weekend in a city I'd never been to. Your catalogue was very well produced, but certain standards are expected of an auction house. THE most important of these are that you do EVERYTHING possible to avoid selling fakes.

I would have expected you to have paid a recognised expert, such as Paul, to certify each item sold, and for each item to be issued with a certificate if it was above a certain value. I'm sorry, but the 'send it to Paul and if it's a fake we'll refund you' doesn't cut it with me. I'm sure such experts would have given you a good deal on certifying so many pieces and this cost would be recovered in higher auction prices.

So take some feedback from this forum and do it properly next time and I'm sure you'll get a lot more attendance.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Vlad,
Don't forget the prices are in Euros, not in USD. Also, add 18% for buyers comission. Plus shipping. The price of Kutuzov 3 would be $7000 instead of 4400. It's still a good price but not so cheap anymore considering their return policy and so on.
You are correct, how could I forget about EUR! I assumed the prices were in USD.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:43 AM   #20
Finnmedals

Quote:
Originally Posted by scook17 View Post

So take some feedback from this forum and do it properly next time and I'm sure you'll get a lot more attendance.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
Absolutely. At this moment information on this forum is somewhat terrible and I feel myself slightly misguided since I did not do the authentification nor descriptions on Soviet awards myself - and I am not the expert with these lots. Naturally as a CEO of the company I have the final responsibility for these items and I am not gonna run away. What made me very surprised; this forum was the first place in any way I founded out unhappiness with our auction.

I promise I will dig as deep as is needed to find out what is behind this problem.

In case you believe there were fakes among the Soviet items; please let me know which one?

With best regards,
Jani