The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #231
Dolf

Ron,

Not those many ORB but still a nice set:

On Pic 0500, 5 different Variations/sub-variations of the T3 + 1 T4.
On Pic 0454, a few more, including a T2V2 (my only screwback), the others are T3 and 1 T4.
On this pic, the first 5 Awards on the middle row (left to right), from the Lenin to the OGPW T3, including the ORB T3 + the 2 RS, all belong to the same individual, making it my 1st documented, complete Group.
On Pic 0484, just a couple of Lenins, T5 (with dimple) + T6.

I like to separate Orders from Medals (obviously not possible on a Group to the same recipient containing Orders AND Medals, but that didn't happen yet)and whenever possible try to create complete sets, like for example the Motherhood set. Or Pic 0493, showing a Display only for Soviet Medals, temporarily hosting 3 non-Soviet that will be replaced when I'll find the 3 Soviet ones that should go in those spots.
Or Pic 0501, showing what I believe is a complete set with all 15 Umalatova Awards that I know.

Pic 0451 shows what I call a temporary Miscellaneous Display
There are a few Soviet pieces, but also North-Korean, Chinese, Afghani and even Portuguese, Orders, Medals, Badges... a real fruit salad

The Display on Pic 0455 is probably my Jewel of the Crown, I guess...

And Pic 0503 shows another (almost) complete set of Mongolian Medals.

Enjoy,

Dolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized 0500.jpg (49.9 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0454.jpg (48.9 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0484.jpg (49.8 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0505.jpg (47.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0493.jpg (49.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0501.jpg (49.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0451.jpg (48.3 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0455.jpg (48.1 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Resized 0503.jpg (47.9 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 01:08 PM.
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #232
rboomsma

Nice collection Dolf, I have started collecting the Mongolian medals also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolf
Pic 0451 shows what I call a temporary Miscelaneous Display
There are a few Soviet pieces, but also North-Korean, Chinese, Afghani and even Portuguese, Orders, Medals, Badges... a real fruit salad

The Display on Pic 0455 is probably my Jewell of the Crown, I guess...

And Pic 0503 shows another (almost) complete set of Mongolian Medals.

Enjoy,

Dolf
Old 06-14-2005, 09:26 PM   #233
Simon

Proper storage conditions for orders and medals

While collecting coins, I stumbled upon many articles written by archival experts that warn about the danger of improper storage conditions. These articles stress that inert materials which are acid/sulphur/PVC free must be used for encapsulation of coins to prevent damage. I presume the same applied to medals. Has anyone had a bad experience with popular materials used for medal storage? For example, awards look great on velvet. However, does velvet contain acid that is going to cause some deterioration to the reverse? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Simon
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:28 AM   #234
mydogsmom

Organization & Display of Badges

Could some of you who have badge collections please tell me how you store and/or display them? I am interested in labeling as many as I know so that other Americans can read and understand what the badge was made for but really haven't come up with any good system. Would appreciate it if any of you would tell me about your storage/labeling/display systems.

Thanks in advance!
Barb
mydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #235
Dolf

Barb,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your objective of labeling your items to help other people understand what they are for is indeed quite interesting.

It's gonna be difficult for me to explain this in English, but I'll try.

Here is what I suggest (based on what I intend to do one of these days):

1- Read carefully the thread Marc mentions on the previous post.
2- I encourage you to get those Display Cases from Indian River mentioned on that thread, or any other kind of Display Case that will allow you to store and at the same time see and enjoy your collection.
3- Display your Badges as you like.
4- When your Display will be complete, on a sheet of paper, list by order (1st row, 2nd row, etc) each one of your Badges that you can identify as Item A, Item B (from left to right or right to left, etc) and then for each item write it's name and whatever information you may wish to supply.

The result is that when someone looks at your Display with that sheet of paper with the description of each item on hands, every single item will be easily identifiable, with all the info you'll supply. See what I mean?

I hope it can help.

Simon,

So far I haven't had no problems with the way I keep my collection so I guess those materials used are ok. Walnut, glass, foam, apparently nothing wrong with these!
I know there is another member/Moderator of the Forum who has been using the same Display Cases I use for much longer than I do and as far as I know he never had a problem either, right Dave?

Best,

Dolf

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #236
mydogsmom

Checking out the storage thread mentioned

Thank you! WOW! You guys really get into this!!! I am impressed with all the framed displays and the amount of medals!! I will keep looking at the thread. I like the frames for when I ever get expensive frameable ones but I am also trying to figure out some plastic pages maybe and a notebook type storage system since some of the reason I just got addicted was to be able to take the badges to my daughter's class and show them.

Which brings up an interesting comment for anyone of you reading this. I am trying to collect 20 (I think I have three) of those little Lenin Octoberist pins (gold Lenin on a red star) so I can pin one of them on each child while I am giving the presentation. The last time I gave a little talk to her Kindergarten class they were all impressed that they would have had to wear a pin everyday or be punished so I thought it would be cute to put one on each of them. If anyone has a few of those pins that they would like to contribute to this project, I would appreciate it. Please PM me.

Barb

Last edited by mydogsmom; 07-15-2005 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Added comments
mydogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 04:48 AM   #237
Lapa

Barb,

Something you must avoid like the plague is plastic pages made with PVC (it is a plastic softener). After some time, due to light and other chemicals in the air, it breaks down and turns into some sort of corrosive oil. You most likely have already seen some coin kept in these; they feel sticky and get some sort of green goo all over.

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #238
Dolf

Dave, and other fellow members,

With the growing up of my collection I'm definetely starting to lack of space to hang all those IR hardwood Display Cases, so I intend to order also a couple of their Black Collector Frames (Riker mounts) in order to store all those cheaper Badges/Pins/small aluminium Medals that I'm not hanging on a wall.

But there's a couple of things I'd like to know about, hope you can help:

- What is that white thing we see inside those Riker mounts? (in place of the foam on the other wood display cases)
- With the foam I know, I can change the place of the Orders/Medals any number of times I need (for example to accomodate a new piece I often need to reorganise the place of each piece) and the foam won't be damaged by these changes. What about that white material on these Riker Mounts? Is it also possible to change the place of an item without damaging the white material, or once the pieces are in place for the 1st time it will leave marks on the white thing if I decide to reorganise the place of the pieces?
- On a previous post you mention the 3/4" Riker mounts (about 19mm). I see that on IR they have them on different depth, 7/8", 1", 1-1/4", etc, but not 3/4" as on the other company that another member mentioned. Anyway, what about those 2" deep riker mounts? Would they be more appropriate or the depth won't change nothing on these frames?
- How do the pieces hang in place? By pressure of the glass against that white material, as for the wood Display Cases, or is it necessary to hold them with the help of pins or velcro or something like that?

Well, thanks a lot in advance for any help.

Best wishes,

Dolf
Old 08-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #239
j h beers

Dear Dolf;

I do not want to discourage you, but unless your cases came with documentation that the foam (and colored liners) inside were completely ph-neutral, then they are not really safe for long time storage: the materials are in a constant state of chemical deterioration - very slow, I will admit, but giving off fumes that will eventually affect the finish of the things that you are storing. Another worry: your cases should not be oak - oak, even in old china cabinets, continuously gives off vapors that are bad for collectibles; I've seen toy soldier collections stored in oak cabinets randomly blister and self destruct.

Jim
j h beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #240
Dolf

Jim,

All my IR harwood Display Cases are walnut, not oak.
As for the foam, well it's just foam I guess.
As for the colored backgroung foam, I use the IR foam-backed velvet one!

Are these materials bad for my Awards in long therm?!
I've been using them for about a couple of years now, I check the condition of the pieces quite regularly, and so far no damage have been detected, either on the silver or gold or brass!
Maybe the fact that I open those Cases so often helps the bad fumes to go away...

If you know of a company selling these Display Cases (or any other safe storage stuff) with a documentation that the materials are ph-neutral and 100% safe, please let us know, or if you prefer please PM me.

PS: any idea about what is that white material inside the Riker Mounts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by j h beers
Dear Dolf;

I do not want to discourage you, but unless your cases came with documentation that the foam (and colored liners) inside were completely ph-neutral, then they are not really safe for long time storage: the materials are in a constant state of chemical deterioration - very slow, I will admit, but giving off fumes that will eventually affect the finish of the things that you are storing. Another worry: your cases should not be oak - oak, even in old china cabinets, continuously gives off vapors that are bad for collectibles; I've seen toy soldier collections stored in oak cabinets randomly blister and self destruct.

Jim
Jim,

I'm curious but forgot to ask this question before: can you please let me/us know what/how/which safe materials do you use to store your Awards collection?

Ok, another little update, including a new larger Display for Mongolian Medals, a few new Ribbons for Mongolian Orders and Medals, some new Badges and Medals and a new Display (one of those cheap Riker mounts) for some Mongolian ribbon bars and Friendship Pins.
Also, my latest addition to my Soviet Orders, a beautiful Nevsky T3 for which the research results have been recently posted on another thread.

Best,

Dolf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized IMG_0557.jpg (49.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Resized IMG_0558.jpg (48.6 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Resized IMG_0555.jpg (49.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Resized IMG_0553.jpg (46.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Resized IMG_0554.jpg (47.7 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 01:12 PM.