The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 11-05-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
willie777

Soviet use of captured equipment in the GPW

Well, I know that it was done by the German, but did the Soviets ever use captured German or other Axis equipment? Im not talking about war trophies which they just kept, but actual equipment in use. pictures would be nice
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
Sergei

Willie,
Could you please clarify, what kind of equipmemt you are thinking about? There was some fairly sophisticated stuff (heavy machinery, aviataion related) brought into the USSR but it went straight under the NKVD listing and I doubt you will find any photos. Simpler things, like the ****** sawing machines, were of course commonplace. (The name of the sawing device manufacturer clashes with a medal seller, I think, and will be shown in 'stars' I was not aware of this seller!)
Sergei
Old 11-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
willie777

Oh, my bad. SoOrry that I could not clarify. By equipment, I mean, load bearing straps, belts (buckle denazified or replaced, of course), weapons (pistols, assault rifiles, machine guns, carbines, etc.), artillery (anti aircraft, etc.), rocket launchers (panzerfaust), etc., you know stuff actually used in combat.

And I think you mean sewing machines, not sawing. Its easy enough to use a saw manually... If not, i think that may be heavy machinery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei View Post
Willie,
Could you please clarify, what kind of equipmemt you are thinking about? There was some fairly sophisticated stuff (heavy machinery, aviataion related) brought into the USSR but it went straight under the NKVD listing and I doubt you will find any photos. Simpler things, like the ****** sawing machines, were of course commonplace. (The name of the sawing device manufacturer clashes with a medal seller, I think, and will be shown in 'stars' I was not aware of this seller!)
Sergei

Last edited by willie777; 11-05-2007 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
Esteban_cool

Well, if this can help, soviet regular troops and partisans loooooooved to use captured MP40s.
I found a link where partisans proudly show their captured MPs.

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...ans-go-go.html
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again

Last edited by Esteban_cool; 11-05-2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Sergei

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie777 View Post

And I think you mean sewing machines, not sawing. Its easy enough to use a saw manually... If not, i think that may be heavy machinery.

Sergei
Old 11-05-2007, 10:45 PM   #6
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_cool View Post
Well, if this can help, soviet regular troops and partisans loooooooved to use captured MP40s.
I found a link where partisans proudly show their captured MPs.

http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/s...ans-go-go.html
Soviet soldiers and partizans called MP40 by name "Shmeiser", whcih was actually incorrect as that manufacturer had nothing to do with MP40 guns.

As for original question, I don't see why heavy equipment (trucks, tanks, armored cars, motorcycles) in working condition would not be used by Soviet units. I wish I had photographic evidence though.

William
Old 11-06-2007, 06:43 AM   #7
UQWozza

Use of enemy trucks

Don't have photographic evidence but I got a BM from paul Schmitt which had the following citation.

Awarded to Senior Sergeant Fedor Pavlovich Klimenko of the 536th Independent Cable-Telephone Pole Company who "is one of the best junior commanders, demanding of himself and his subordinates. He is disciplined and full of initiative. He is greatly concerned with the timely supply of food and equipment to the personnel. (?) with this, Comrade Klimenko, having the specialty of mechanic, keeps the transportation company in good working order. During the Red Army's winter offensive, Comrade Klimenko kept the vehicle transportation in combat readiness able to accomplish any mission, and under heavy pressure when the enemy rushed our weapons, transportation, and other military equipment and tried to destroy it, Comrade Klimenko mobilized reserve drivers and from broken vehicles left by the enemy, he gathered four vehicles, was able to reach our forces, and at the present, vehicles 9 through 12 are occupied with the accomplishment of combat tasks in good working order. He was in the platoon which supplied communications between the 37th Army and the 11th Guards Rifle Corps near the 11th Guards Corps' combat zone on 27.05.43 during a massive enemy aviation strike. One vehicle was put out of action and could not accomplish its mission. Comrade Klimenko, under incessant mortar and artillery fire, as well as enemy aviation, was able to restore the vehicle in short order and through his fearless bravery, enabled the platoon to accomplish its combat mission of providing communications between Storm-37 and the OP of 11th Guards Corps."

Submitted for the Red Star but downgraded to the Bravery Medal.

So this occured at the local level at least. Though I seem to remember reading somewhere that when the Red Army was advancing through the Ukraine (I think) that some units were totally supplied with captured equipment.

Simon
Old 11-06-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
Esteban_cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by new world View Post
As for original question, I don't see why heavy equipment (trucks, tanks, armored cars, motorcycles) in working condition would not be used by Soviet units. I wish I had photographic evidence though.

William
Hi William,
Here you go.

p.s: The best way soviets used captured german stuff is clearly shown in the last picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sovstug3.jpg (23.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg sov-clmn.jpg (54.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 200px-Paradejack.jpg (18.8 KB, 12 views)
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again