The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:59 AM   #81
Tretov

It would not be any problem if I had paid by CC, but as with many (also honest) sellers in former USSR, Bank-to-bank wire transfer and WU is the only way possible to pay. This is often a result of laws and technical limitations. PayPal is for example not available to most east europe countries

I have filed complaint with eBay and Square Trade but nothing happens. They say they have tried to contact the owner of the account, but he does not seems to understand he should respond to their emails because the (moron) man has mailed me twice and asked what to do about the mails from eBay ... I have told him to reply and tell the story, but... nothing happens.
Tretov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #82
DougD

Fraud!

This might only be of interest to those of us who buy-sell-trade and have our own sites, but the pattern should be familiar to all.

The technique is very much like that used by the Nigerian e-mail scams that promise you loads of money if you just pay some ‘fees’.

First you get an e-mail, with photos, from a very respectable person in russia (lawyer, museum officer, etc.). The photos are of very high end items and moderate high end items. They offer you these items for sale at very good prices, and will even ship to you right away for ‘inspection’, but you have to pay the “customs fees” upfront. That's the hook, as the fees are close to $1000 and I am sure that its only the first of many “fees” that will be needed to get the items out of Russia.

I played along for a bit, but after insisting I would pay no money whatsoever upfront, they vanished.

So, watch out if you get a too good to be true e-mail from Russia.

DougD
DougD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #83
desantnik
Forum Moderator

"Customs fees", eh.

I see the Nigerian connection. Wasn't the Soviet Union described as Upper Volta with nukes?
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #84
Tretov

Thanks Doug - will keep my eyes open! This is quite a "good" trick, especially if they attach images. I guess they might even steal photos from other sites, so a good idea is to keep in mind what you see.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 AM   #85
new world

Just use common sense and remember that in most cases things cost more in Russia than abroad, so if the deal sounds too good to be true...
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM   #86
ericlida

PayPal transaction

I need an advise.
On July 6 I sold on eBay Red Star
I sold it to a person from Latvia. He paid via PayPal
I mailed the package Registered mail on July 8.
On July 20 he started writing to me: where is my package?
I tried to explain that it takes more time to deliver from the US to Latvia. I provided him with the tracking information to prove that the package was mailed on July 8. I checked with USPS. They verified that the package left US on July 25.
However, the buyer filed a claim with PayPal. $166.00 were deducted from my account and if he does not receive the package in 7 days the money will be refunded to him (I was told by PayPal).
I am sure that he would receive this order soon. I am not sure if he is an honest person after what happened. I would not have any proof of him receiving the package (it was without delivery confirmation, just registered).
Finally, he will get his money back and the order for free
In addition, after talking to him, I found out that he provided me with his old address. He does not live there anymore.
Any ideas how to deal with this situation?

BTW, I even cannot place a negative feedback for him on eBay
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:28 PM   #87
Tretov

Re: PayPal transaction

There is a risk that you are a victim of fraud. I was warned about this some time ago by a friend - some buyers put system into this; they buy and pay by PayPal, then claim no item was recieved OR that the item is a fake. PayPal refunds the money (and in case of fake, instruct the buyer to destroy the item). The seller ends up having no item nor money; and PayPal assist the crooks.

Shipping to Latvia should not take more than two weeks from the USA; The usual shipping time Latvia-Sweden is one week. There is of course always a risk that the item was stolen in the postal handling in Latvia.

Quote:
Beware the other scam. Person purchases, receives the item and then files a PayPal complaint that the item is a fake. PayPal will just tell them to destroy the item and give them their money back. They then go off and sell the medal they got for free to somebody else.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #88
SpaceCadet1983

Sorry to hear about your buyer/PayPal problem, Eric. I decided long ago that if I mail anything over $100.00 overseas I'm going to get a signature at the other end, even if I pay for it out of my own pocket. Yes, it costs a little more, but at least I have peace of mind! So far I haven't had any problems!
Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #89
ericlida

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACECADET1983 View Post
Sorry to hear about your buyer/PayPal problem, Eric. I decided long ago that if I mail anything over $100.00 overseas I'm going to get a signature at the other end, even if I pay for it out of my own pocket. Yes, it costs a little more, but at least I have peace of mind! So far I haven't had any problems!
But registered mail requires a signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tretov View Post
Shipping to Latvia should not take more than two weeks from the USA; The usual shipping time Latvia-Sweden is one week. There is of course always a risk that the item was stolen in the postal handling in Latvia.
I would disagree with you on timing. The registered mail is safe but slow. According to USPS the package left USA only on July 25 (mailed on July 8).

Last edited by CtahhR; 04-15-2014 at 05:59 AM.
ericlida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #90
Tretov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlida View Post
I would disagree with you on timing. The registered mail is safe but slow. According to USPS the package left USA only on July 25 (mailed on July 8).
What? Did it take 17 days for the letter to get from Your place to the U.S. border? That is a very long time