The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 05-20-2002, 06:10 PM   #51
scook17

Chris,

here is a comparision with the medals/orders sold on Ebay in the last 30 days:

Herfurth: HSL = USD 500,-
Ebay: $420 unsold
Ebay: $390 unsold
Ebay: $350 sold

Herfurth: October Revolution = USD 140,-
Ebay: $150 unsold
Ebay: $100 sold
Ebay: $99 unsold
Ebay: $95 unsold
Ebay: $80 sold
Ebay: $80 sold

Herfurth: Friendship = USD 190,-
Ebay: $199 Unsold.

It seems to me this catalogue, far from being a price guide, actually sets the prices.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian Zulus

Friendship = USD 190,-
October Revolution = USD 140,-
Lenin = USD 450,-
HSL = USD 500,-
Glory-Trio (inkl. Cavaliers booklet = USD 3.400,- (33 % + for doc.)

So, what's so wrong with Herfurth's price system?
[/B]
I missed a Lenin:

Lenin
Herfurth: 450,-
Ebay: 354 (sold).

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2002, 06:26 PM   #52
CZ
Banned

Prices in Europe at dealers, not auctions

Shane,

3 points:

a) the price level in Europe seems to be higher, than in the USA

b) Herfurth writes about the prices in shops, not at auctions and writes, that the prices are frequently lower in other sectors.

c) you have to add to the auction results the additional costs for posting, insurance and taxes.

If you take these 3 points into consideration, than a "Lenin" for USD 354,- at e-bay - without posting, insurance and taxes - is very close to a "Lenin" for USD 450,- at Herfurth's catalogue - I think.

Regards from Vienna
CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 09:27 PM   #53
Art
Forum Founder

I don't mind the Herfurth guide, in fact I think it's a great piece of work. Let's be realistic, the days of the $50 Order of Lenin are long over for buying through a reputable dealer. Professional dealers are well aware of what prices belong where, and amateurs need to really shop around before buying a 1928 Order of the Red Banner of Labor. I wouldn't spend $500 on a bottle of fine wine unless I educated my palate to really appreciate the beauty of it, likewise I believe a collector should begin with the more common specimens before taking a stab at the advanced specimens. Same principal applies to all the finer things in life, cigars, automobiles, good liquor, women, music...

The wide fluctuation in prices only adds to the spice of collecting these awards in my opinion.

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 12:36 AM   #54
CZ
Banned

No price ranges - no price commission

O.k. - I have got the message: There is no interest (for some reasons) to offer price ranges for the common items to the public (and to the grand children of the veterans in former SU).

Prices shall stay in a mysterious mist ....

Dr. Herfurth doesen't work with internet, neither e-mail, but maybe I could motivate him, to publish a 4th edition of his catalogue - without "Red Banner" # 7 & # 8, but with russian as a 3rd language (for the dealers in Baku). Herfurth's small catalogue is already a well sought after weapon agaist the "raiders from the west".

A raise in prices should be for all collectors (and veterans) positive.

Regards from Vienna
Old 05-21-2002, 01:22 AM   #55
mcwirsk

Dear Christian

Thanks for the thumbs up. At least I did not upset you and also I see you know what I am talking about.

If we really want to see prices of Soviet stuff go up we need to try and indentify fakes. Every collector that I show my soviet stuff to is extremely interested but has either bought a fake before and is so aware of fakes that he will not collect. This puts a lot of collectors off. This forum and certain other websites are great for identifying fakes and warning new collectors of fakes and what the real stuff costs.

I have tried to educate my sources of supply in SA to ask for pictures and documents for any medals they buy in and I pay premiums for this. Its taken years but its working well now. We should try and get the sources on the ground in Russia to ask for these items. ie newpaper articles original id books etc etc. For example I collect pilots logs books (hint hint for nayone out there with these items) because they are a wealth of info.

These documents will make our medal groups go up in value.

In addition if the cost of research as more reasonable then it could add a lot of vlaue to the medals. How many times have you researched a common medal and found it to be something great -- value shoots up and conversely the citation is so poor you feel like throwing it away.

If I ever go to Russia I would love to see the the archives where this stuff is kept.

Lets all hope for higher and hogher prices for our investment.

regards from a chilly SA
mcwirsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 03:18 AM   #56
scook17

Re: Prices in Europe at dealers, not auctions

Chris,

Prices are much higher in the UK than in the US. I buy most of my stuff from the US because it's cheaper there, even taking into account the postage costs.

However, thinking about it, there is another reason as well. There are not that many shops here you can go to, to buy Russian medals. I live near London, and know of only two such shops. The choice is therefore also somewhat limited.

BTW, if anyone knows of any shops here in the UK that sell Russian medals/orders, please email or PM me. Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Quote:
Originally posted by Christian Zulus
Shane,

3 points:
a) the price level in Europe seems to be higher, than in the USA
b) Herfurth writes about the prices in shops, not at auctions and writes, that the prices are frequently lower in other sectors.
c) you have to add to the auction results the additional costs for posting, insurance and taxes.

If you take these 3 points into consideration, than a "Lenin" for USD 354,- at e-bay - without posting, insurance and taxes - is very close to a "Lenin" for USD 450,- at Herfurth's catalogue - I think.

Regards from Vienna
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 04:44 AM   #57
Tal Inbar

An example of the un-realistic prices in that catalogue:

This is a qoute from ebay seller with more than 3000 positive feedbacks, so he knows the business of selleing awards...:

"RUSSIAN "ORDER/OCTOBER REVOLUTION"

Here we are offering a real nice Russian decoration- "Order of OCTOBER REVOLUTION". It's in very good condition-no scratches on enamel or anything of this type! Usually this decoration brings around $140 - 150 at shows( or better). We were simply lucky to obtain a few orders at real good price, so we are passing the great deal to customers. As you know , the decoration is made of sterling with golden sickle and hammer. The decoration is #83829. "

Apart from being a philantropist ("passing the great deal to customers" ), the seller is VERY MUCH awere to the real value, and is offering it for $80.00 - as "buy it now".

One more thing - shipping for this order - in the US - is $3.50.

Tal

P.S.

You can see the price he mentioned - does it rings a bell?????

Last edited by Tal Inbar; 07-11-2003 at 08:38 AM.
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 07:00 AM   #58
CZ
Banned

Dear Tal,

once again: As Shane already remarked above, the price level in Europe is higher and as Dr. Herfurth writes in his booklet, his prices are only for shops, not for auctions.

Shipping, insurance and taxes to Europe are a little bit more expensive, than 3,5 %. If you don't have to be customs, you have to pay at least 16 - 20 % VAT.

I think, that USD 80,- was (or is) the bottom line for this order. In Vienna I bought one of my orders 7 years ago for that price.

Buy all of them for USD 80,- and sell them for the double price in Leningrad.

Regards from Vienna
Old 05-21-2002, 12:22 PM   #59
Tal Inbar

I'll start to stock them right away...

BTW, I bought 3 orders of October revolution at a flea market in Israel, for $60.00 each. ( )

Tal
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2002, 12:30 PM   #60
CZ
Banned

Tal,

when was this?

Last year a bought at the big saturday flea market in Vienna a "Red Banner" screwback for USD 30,-, because I told the guy, that this is a fake (of course it was no fake).

This guy at the flea market wanted to sell me a primitive faked "Suvorov" 3cl for good money. So I told him his "Red Banner" screwback was also faked, offered him USD 30,- and he sayed o.k. Sorry, I will never do this again.

Regards from Vienna