The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

View Poll Results: Repair or not
Leave the damn thing alone! Don't mess with what looks like a period repair 12 54.55%
Have the solder removed to make the serial number readable 9 40.91%
Repair the enamel only 0 0%
Remove the solder AND repair the enamel 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2013, 07:40 AM   #631
Auke

Re: Damaged, Repair, Clean, Preserve Soviet Awards.

I too would never repair or restore an award or a document. I'd like to keep them in the condition they were in when they left the original recipient. Not everything has to look "text book"; I have more than enough awards and documents that do. I don't think there's a good way to re-attach a torn page anyway; all attempts would be clearly visible as such and I would definitely want to avoid that.

Plus, patina grows back over time. Depending on storage conditions, you should have a modest layer of patina in 10-20 years.
Auke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #632
amdl614

Alright. I got it. I will leave it in original condition!

Thank you for advice everyone
amdl614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:45 AM   #633
deValcourt

How to repair broken screw posts?

Relax, I'm looking at repairing a museum quality Order of Nevsky (space filler or uniform display award) - not the real deal.

The screw post broke off during shipping and I simply took a partial refund because I've been looking for a reproduction of this quality for a very long time and don't want to wait several years again before finding one at such a good price.

Anyway, the post broke off right at the base where it came out of the front - completely flush with the smooth surface of the reverse. I have had similar problems with other screw post badges I use on uniforms for display. The other two that I want to repair have also broken right at the surface of the reverse and I've tried JB Weld, but it never seems to harden enough to allow the screw nut to be tightened enough to secure it to the uniform before tilting, then simply breaking off again.

I am not a talented solder user, but it is beginning to seem like the only likely permanent fix. I do not care what the repair may look like since no one will ever see it but me and I have not intentions of trying to sell these as authentic on ePay. In fact, the copy is so well done that the weight alone might convince a novice that it was real. Moreover, photographed the right way, and with the respectable attempt at a mint mark, I was eager to get it off the market since the seller was one of those who said he "was no expert, but it looked original to him" and put the burden on the buyer.

Nonetheless, the story is getting way to in-depth for what I hope will be a relatively easy fix. Would a certain type of solder be preferable over another? How about a combination of JB Weld to secure it (which is the biggest problem since it is difficult to hold at a 90-degree angle while applying glue/solder) and then putting a ring of solder around the base getting a couple of threads on the post down to the surface of the reverse?

Any ideas would be helpful.

Speaking of ideas, perhaps a thread featuring high-quality copies could be useful. For one thing, it would demonstrate how good the counterfeiters are getting in terms of details and materials, and for another, it would give members and visitors a place to consult if they think something they may buy could be a fake - without simply posting photos in the fake section. I was taught how to identify the finer/finest points of difference between authentic and copy by a similar: "See if you can figure it out for yourself and list the things you see that are different or "wrong" with the award in question. Works very well in my opinion. It is sort of like the "give a man a fish, versus teaching him to fish" adage. Cliché, but effective.

Okay, wandering off again.

Any helpful ideas will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Phillip
Old 01-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #634
marsino

Re: How to repair broken screw posts?

You can't show the details, to better understand how to act?
However for a permanent repair, but that allows you to go back in the future, I recommend solder to pond (in Italian "Stagno").

https://www.google.it/search?q=salda...sione&tbm=isch
marsino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #635
charlet

Re: How to repair broken screw posts?

Hello, first are you sure about the metal content of both the order and the screwpost? It is massive silver or an alloy? An examination at a jeweler's shop would establish the nature of the metals used, and a "jeweler-creator" (in France we do call like this the jewelers with a workshop able to melt and work on metals and stones), and then try soldering with the appropriate solder mix.
Solder mix is the second and most important problem since there exist various combinations, and the soldering f silver is really specific in products and temperature.
charlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #636
deValcourt

Thank you both. My fears about impossible numbers of different solders and techniques just confirms my fears. Instead of doing it myself, I'll just take it to a jewelry shop I know and trust. The metal is a heavy alloy that stands up to heat and doesn't discolor from it.

I'll let you know how the jeweler works out.

Thanks again,
Phillip
Old 01-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #637
marsino

Quote:
Originally Posted by deValcourt View Post
Thank you both. My fears about impossible numbers of different solders and techniques just confirms my fears. Instead of doing it myself, I'll just take it to a jewelry shop I know and trust. The metal is a heavy alloy that stands up to heat and doesn't discolor from it.

I'll let you know how the jeweler works out.

Phillip, attention to the heat, any kind of solder causes a large overheating of the metal, it is necessary to do the job quickly.
marsino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #638
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Here is one of those fabled "combat damaged" Awards.

Damaged (as was the recipient) during the Battle For Berlin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2014-03-31-12h18m36s6.jpg (47.2 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #639
Mikoyan.G

enamel restoration

Hello Mrs,

I have a very nice and 100% original A.Newky Order type 2, but unfortunately it have all major part of enamels broken and almost out. I am interested in a restoration of all enamels in hot enamels, no sintetic enamels. If someone could help me with some contact where I would be able to address I will be very grateful.

Thank you very much.
Mikoyan.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #640
kameli

Re: enamel restoration

The easiest way may be to look for a local jeweler who specializes in repairing orders and ask him. If he could not do that he likely know someone who could.
kameli is offline   Reply With Quote