The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk > General Talk Archive

Old 06-14-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
scook17

Russian OCR software?

Can anyone recommend some good cyrillic OCR software. I have a number of books written in Russian. The OCR software I use with my scanner does a pretty good job and saves a hell of a lot of typing should you need to have an electronic copy of something. With a decent OCR program that supports the Russian language, you could scan a page of a Russian book, and then use a machine translator (eg PROMT) to translate the text to English. Any suggestions?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2004, 09:17 AM   #2
Taz

Shane,
Are these of any interest? Take a look.

http://www.royfc.com/ru_lingo_software.html

http://www.neobee.net/~ilicv/ocr.html

Eddie.

Last edited by Taz; 06-14-2004 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Nota Bene

Shane,

I am not sure this is such a good idea. Even the best OCRs can achieve 95% accuracy max, and the resulting document needs to be proof-read. If you feed it in the PROMPT without proof-reading you may get total nonsence.

Alexei
Old 06-15-2004, 06:11 PM   #4
rboomsma

OCR Translation

I have used prompt for translation, it needs to be heavily edited after, unless you already completley understand Russian, I would not recommend it.

Ron
Old 06-16-2004, 07:56 PM   #5
d-riemer

OCR Software

Shane,
for several years, I am using the Russian software ABBYY FineReader 4 for English and German optical character recognition. The character recognition is outstanding, for printed masters usually 100%. For licensing reasons, Russian is not included in my Version 4, while Bulgarian and Ukrainian are. The software has been upgraded and is now at Version 7, which includes Russian.

Search on the Web for "ABBYY FineReader" and you find lots of offers, even on ebay, with dramatic price differences. Since it was developed in Russia, I assume it would do the Russian or Cyrilic character recognition at least as well as it has worked in my experience with the Latin characters and the German umlauts (the software contains dictionaries for the main languages and checks the spelling of each word after recognition, it should, therefore, not be difficult for software to do a word-for-word translation into English that might provide some basic understanding of a text; that is the way I try to translate text now, which requires a lot of time).

I would love to translate Russian or Bulgarian texts but have not advanced to that point yet. Your question reminded me to investigate that field again.

Last edited by d-riemer; 06-16-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
Taz

The top link I posted is also for this Russian software ABBYY and many other items.

Eddie.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:34 PM   #7
Nota Bene

Guys,

I have used the ABBYY, and could not get more then 95% accuracy even from a computer print out. It often confuses Russian script b for 6, soft sign for b, etc. Sometimes it would start recognizing Russian characters as English for no apparent reason, and this is the worst when trying to search through the text or use a machine translation software.

Alexei
Old 12-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
RedMaestro2

Russian Language.

As far as I can tell, the Russian term for research is "punching" (Пробить, Пробивкa). What is the story behind this word choice?

Alex
Old 12-16-2011, 05:15 PM   #9
Simon

Re: "Punching"

Пробить means to break through, hit (not necessarily punch) through. In spoken, informal language, the word can mean to achieve a hard task that required overcoming difficulties. I can only guess the origin of a slang usage. Most likely, it comes from the military where breaking through an enemy's armor or bunker is a difficult, often necessary task. With most Russian men having served in the army and in the case of the older generation fought in a war, the language is rich with expressions originating from military terms. You can probably figure out what object Russian men call pilotka.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pilotka.jpg (99.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Simon; 12-16-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
deValcourt

Help with deeper meanings

I have a couple of public domain digital copies of propaganda posters from the Stalin era that I would like some more context on than I can glean from the text itself (and as such, I will happily read any translations provided by either native Russian speakers, members of an FSU country, Soviet historians (amateurs included) or any combination of the above without prejudice of one over the other because meaning will win out over literal translation) as to exactly what the purpose of the poster(s) was - other than to frighten people.

Any input will not only be helpful, but I will give the appropriate credit on my website when I use whatever information is shared here.

I may continue to ask similar questions of the forum members about other forms of propaganda - either direct or indirect used by the security services and the actual men behind them pulling the strings.

- I have the impression that the last propaganda piece has to do with the spy plane shot down by the Soviets during the Cold War, but am not 100% certain about this idea.

Phillip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poster-31[1].jpg (50.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Eradicate spies & saboteurs; Trotsky-Bukharin, agents of fascism site.jpg (13.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Shot%20Down[1].jpg (117.0 KB, 26 views)