The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Post-Soviet States > Russian Federation

Russian Federation Российская Федерация 25th December 1991 -

Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #1
csaanv

As one told me that russian navy began to use flags made of synthetic fibers after the collapse of ussr. Is that true?

I am not an expert but I do have a few of the Russian Federation naval flags and unfortunately they are not the wool bunting as the previous USSR navy flags. The coast guard flag is a heavy nylon and the naval ensign and jack are like a heavy cotton, maybe synthetic, but diffidently not wool bunting. It is interesting that these flags are all sewn and not printed as the USSR navy flags.

I should mention that in the few years after the break up of the Soviet Republics that Russia continued to use it's surplus wool bunting for the it's new flags but this seems to have tapered off today. I have a couple of wool St. Andrews which date from the early 90s. Recent photographs have shown that the Russian Navy has gone the way of nylon like the rest of the world. Too bad!
russia.1145516640.14_russian_flag copy.jpg

Last edited by CtahhR; 09-11-2013 at 08:03 AM.
csaanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
csaanv

Re: Does Russian navy still use WOOLEN flags today?

In reference to my previous post there was a transition from wool bunting left over from the Soviet Union to nylon that the Russian navy is using today. Here are a few early Russian flags of the 1990s that used the surplus wool bunting.

IMG_1454w.jpg
The entire flag is from wool bunting. The burlap type hoist was re-purposed as you can see the previous Soviet stamp.
IMG_1456w.jpg
The St.Andrews cross canton insert is a synthetic polyester type of bunting.
IMG_1467w.jpg
The field is wool but the cross is made of cotton.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
csaanv

Here is a recent Russian Border Guard type flag made of entirely of a heavy type of nylon bunting.
IMG_1471w.jpg
Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
sybaris

Here is a slightly amusing story associated with Russian flags. I was stationed aboard USS Belleau Wood from '94-'98. In 1996 we visited Vladivostok which to me, after having served through the Cold War and being in Electronic Warfare was an opportunity beyond belief. I had been to Shanghai on another ship some 7 years prior and had gotten a chance to trade with Chinese sailors however it was an unexpected opportunity for trading and I was a bit unprepared. This time I was taking no chances and loaded up on ships ballcaps, Zippos, Marlboros, belt buckles, ribbons and pins. After arrival in Vlad' I and few shipmates headed down to the piers and made our presence and intent known. It didn't take long before a crowd of Russian sailors were huddled around us and the trading began but it ended almost as abruptly as it began and we were told to come back after dark. So we burnt up the rest of the day trapsing around Vlad' and doing what Sailors do until it finally got dark, around 10:00 P.M.. We headed back down to the piers and soon another group of Russian Sailors gathered around us. It was actually very festive yet quite surreal in the dimly lit surroundings. Suddenly all commotion stopped as in the distance and way across the parade ground a car with a very loud muffler started coming our way at high speed. We didn't know what to expect, had nowhere to go and expected the worse. The car zigzagged its way through the parade ground and around some barriers until it came to a screeching halt in front of us. Out pops a local with a bottle of vodka and a handful of shot glasses accompanied by two local ladies! A sigh of relief was expelled by us all in waiting. So we all drank and traded until we could trade no more. I came away with a P-Coat, belt and buckle, white and black flat hats, various pins, ribbons, and other uniform items. We had Cinderella liberty so around 2330 we started making our way back to the ship. On our way along a darkened street we heard some English in a very thick Russian accent, "Hey, you want to buy Russian flag?". Out of the shadows pops a local and whips out a Soviet era woolen jack (red, red and white stars with white hammer and sickle in the middle). The guy wanted 500 rubles for it. I was tapped out so I sold my buddy the black hat for 500 rubles and bought the flag.

The next day I had duty and had to stay on the ship but stocked up again for the following day and expected even greater returns on the trading. That was not to be the case. When I went back down to the piers a Sailor standing guard informed me that that I had other shipmates who had an interest in trading with the Russians as well. During my duty day they had acquired as much booty as I did which apparently caught the attention of the commanders of the Russian ships who put the kibosh on more interaction. It seems that the young Russian Sailors were "acquiring" items from their shipmates leaving several with incomplete uniforms and missing personal items. Understood. Nothing worse than a thief on a ship.

All was not lost though. It seems collecting pins is somewhat of a national past-time in Russia and during the day I was accosted by youngsters trying to separate me from the pins, ribbons, and devices on my uniform. Luckily I had extras and was able to trade for more items. This is where my interest in collecting pins of Russian ships began. I had not known that pins were made for each ship and was hooked. Since I spent all of my career in the Pacific I have concentrated my efforts on collecting the pins from Russian Pacific Fleet combatants that were active during my time of service. I have most but still missing a few. Hopefully someday I'll be able to finish the collection and mount them for display in my cave.
sybaris is offline   Reply With Quote