The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > People's Republic Of Bulgaria

People's Republic Of Bulgaria Народна Република България 15th September 1946 - 15th November 1990

Old 11-08-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
drh

Huge quantities of medals on eBay

Hi Folks,

A quick look at eBay today reveals the following: -

Order of 9th. Sept. 1944 Swords x 130 full sets (390 items) @ $7,800
Order for Bravery w/Swords x 120 full sets (360 items) @ $16,000
Order Labour Glory x 250 full sets (750 items) @ $15,000
Order Military Valour & Merit x 220 full sets (660 items) @ $11,000
Order Civil Valour & Merit x 120 full sets (360 items) @ $18,000
Order Peoples Republic x 170 full sets (510 items) @ $8,500
Order Peoples Liberty 41-44 x 270 full sets (710 items) @ $18.500
(All prices are starting bids)

I recall several threads indicating there were no fake Bulgarian awards, but could the situation have now changed? The Order of Bravery is fairly rare on eBay and all the medals are described as 'in MINT condition'.

Has anyone have an opinion here as to what is going on here as I am somewhat suspicious and my opinion of Bulgarian awards is likely to take a tumble?

I guess wherever these lots go, they will surely reappear on eBay as individual sets in the future.

drh.

Last edited by drh; 11-08-2005 at 01:46 PM.
drh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
HuliganRS

These lots are what appears to be stocks that left the mint after the fall of the communism via the back door.

This person is not the only one selling Bulgarian awards in mint & un-issued condition. There are other dealers that just sell them one piece at a time over a long period. There's more profit to be made selling individually but it takes longer.

This is not the first time these "huge" lots are offered. There are several factors that scare most everyone from bidding, just look at the payment methods exepted!

I'm not sure who can afford to lose between $8,000 and $18,500 if the deal falls through or is never delivered!

Hope this helps,

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
dannybou

These huge amounts of Orders are way out of reach of most buyers like me. One or two would be OK but not in the hundreds...
Old 11-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
Lapa

Rusty,

It seems to me that, for whatever reason, people tend not to take into account that the fall of communism happened almost 15 years ago, and that Bulgaria has a population of about 7.5 million.
So, the question should really be: is it reasonable today to assume that such big lots are indeed leftover unissued stock?

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:00 AM   #5
HuliganRS

I agree.

That's why I wrote that you might not get it.

Someone should ask the seller to send a picture of the lot...

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:37 AM   #6
redmedals

My opinion is the quantities discussed here are not really excessive for having been part of the stock on hand at the time of the fall of communism in Bulgaria. the making of Orders and Medals is like the minting of coins- you would make quite a large number of them all at once for issue at later dates obviously this is to keep tooling and labor costs down. It is simply more efficient to make say 1000 pieces of an item to be held at the ready than it is to make them even 100 at a time. The preparation for a mint run being the same for the smaller quantity as for the larger quantity. I do not believe we are seeing a forging operation here rather someone who did get these large quantities as mentionned earlier "out the back door" after the fall of communism.
And let us not forget that Communist countries in general handed out "honors" as reward much more than any western nation ever did so they would have kept stocks on hand for distribution. This was to make up for the lesser standard of living in these countries under communism than we here in the west enjoyed.
redmedals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Lapa

Redmedals,

I agree with you on the fact that the mint usually struck batches of orders and medal, and that someone could have gotten such a quantity (or such quantities) 15 years ago.
But once again, is it realistic that TODAY someone holds such quantities of not so common orders? In my opinion, I would tend to believe not.

Marc
Lapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
drh

Rusty,

I asked the seller for some pictures of the lots as you suggested, but no response.

Today, I cannot find any of the items on eBay, so guess he has closed his auctions.

Hmm...........
Did they ever exist, and if so where will they turn up next?

Dennis.
drh is offline   Reply With Quote