The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-28-2003, 07:30 PM   #11
charlet

great class Tal! what a luck to see such an actor of soviet cosmos epopea. I you feel free to do so, could you tell us in which conditions did you manage to go to such a meeting and see Michin?

sebastien
charlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2003, 07:47 PM   #12
Tal Inbar

I am a space historian, space sciences educator and deals with various aspects of space activities - civilian and military. I am a frequent visitor at international conventions, such as the International Astronautical Congress. (last October I gave a lecture at the world spca congress, held at Houston).

In the 1997 congress ( Turin, Italy), Mishin was a special guest - it was the 40th ann. of the Sputnik.

We talked for a while, and met again in some of the meetings of committees. I visited him in Russia 3 years later, when I was invited to an international seminar about science and world affairs. (that is a different story....it was held in a presidential guest complex, not far from the memorial to the place the Germans were stopped. The complex was built in the 70's, and the food was from the same period....).

I have just returned from a reception in honour of twice HSU, Colonel Boris Volynov. He is a guest of the Fisher Institute for Air and Space Strategic Studies, which is connected to the Israeli air force.

Here is Colonel Volynov and myself:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qqqqqqqq.jpg (40.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-20-2003, 05:19 PM   #13
Dave

So Tal:

Cool!

The question we all want to know... Did you get to take a good look at the stars???!!!

--Dave
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 05:26 PM   #14
Tal Inbar

Yes I did! They are SPECTACULAR!

Younger Volynov....(BTW - He is the only Jewish cosmonaut I know of).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volinov7.jpg (41.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-27-2004, 03:39 PM   #15
Tal Inbar

Offered for $ 80,000:

The item shown on the photos below is the model of the last successful Soviet automatic lunar probe LUNA-24. The model has a metal container with the 3 samples of the Moon soil brought by Luna-24 mission! It's covered with the magnifying glass, so, the samples can be viewed in details.
"This model was presented to the Soviet leader Leonid BREZHNEV in 1976 and has the plate saying about that: "To dear Leonid Ilyich Brezhnev from the collective of Obschemash. Dec 19, 1976". "Obschemash" is the Russian abbreviation of the Ministry Of General Machine Building. Brezhnev leaded this Ministry and supervised all the space industry in the former USSR before he became the General Secretary of the Communist Party of the USSR after Hruschev."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg luna_24_model_with_soil_01.jpg (33.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg luna_24_model_with_soil_04.jpg (29.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg luna_24_model_with_soil_09.jpg (36.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg luna_24_model_with_soil_02.jpg (22.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg luna_24_model_with_soil_03.jpg (23.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #16
Tal Inbar

Finally I have found some information. Interesting man. See the picture and please try to identify all the awards:

After further reading, and some pictures that I have found, it seems that he got:

HSL
Lenin (9 times)
Order of October revolution
Suvorov 2nd
Order of the Red Banner
Order of the Red Banner of Labour (2)
Order of the Red Star
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ryabikov.jpg (18.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ryabikov01.jpg (28.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
SpaceCadet1983

Penants

For those truly interested in the Soviet and Russian Space Programs there are 3 authentic anniversary pennants from RSC Energia that would make great additions to anyone's Space Medal collection! I have a set, and now all I have to do is figure out how to display everything in my collection!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sputnik2008.jpg (100.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg korolev2008.jpg (75.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Gagarin2008A.jpg (102.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #18
pacha b

Lenin from space

This is a good one.
what the paper says
The message, which translates as "Lenin is 100", was cut into a forest in a remote region of Siberia. Each letter is around 80 metres high, and the entire message stretches for 600 metres.
It was created by Russian woodcutters in 1970 to mark the centenary of the Communist leader's birth, according to EnglishRussia, the blog which spotted the image.
Despite the passing of 38 years it has kept its coherent shape, and is now clearly visible on Google Maps and Earth, the internet giant's satellite mapping services.
The blog says that the reasons for the large scale topiary are unclear, but that it could have been intended as a tongue-in-cheek message of national pride to be picked up by American spy satellites.
The first ever Earth Day, a celebration to raise awareness of environmental issues, was held on Lenin's birthday April 22 in 1970, which could be another clue towards the message's origins.
The tribute was cut into a forest close to the town of Zverinogolovskoye in the south west of Siberia, near the border with Kazakhstan.
Lenin was the main leader of the 1917 Bolshevik Revolution, and headed the Soviet state until his death in 1924.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lenin460_801213c.jpg (33.3 KB, 39 views)
pacha b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #19
Tal Inbar

First spacewalker victim of theft

Russian news agencies reported on Monday that the home of cosmonaut Alexei Leonov, the first person to walk in space, was burglarized as he was hospitalized for heart problems. The theft, according to Leonov's wife, occurred sometime over the weekend. Initial reports listed jewelry among the items taken. The cosmonaut's 'state awards', which were locked inside a vault, were not stolen. The fate of his other space memorabilia, including his original space art, was not said.

Russian-language news agencies are reporting that over the weekend, thieves broke into cosmonaut Alexei Leonov's home near Star City and stole a great deal of his artwork and career memorabilia, according to his wife Svetlana.

Different press accounts put the value at $30,000 to $100,000.

Journalist James Oberg reports, "His large home is in the secure area of well-known 'cosmonaut dachas'. A picture of the house will be familiar to some."

Leonov remains in the cardiological clinic of the Burdenko Hospital in Moscow. Last week he underwent a 'coronograph', an imaging angiogram using tracers to characterize his heart's condition. Leonov entered the hospital after learning of the death of his sister.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:27 PM   #20
SpaceCadet1983

Re: First spacewalker victim of theft

Yes, this is unbelievable! To add injury to insult Alexei Arkhipovich is not only in the hospital, but his house is supposed to be in a "secure" compound in/near Star City! They believe this was a random act, but how random is it when the house of a national hero is targeted by thieves?