The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 01-22-2006, 04:47 AM   #31
Dante688i

- Cont. From Above
Once you have decided to look for certain pieces or to locate books and other items, you can get information on dealers from the links section of the main page or ask for the opinions of other forum members. !We don't post the names or sites of Soviet militaria dealers directly on the forum! - so members can send you a private message with details.

As to what's real and what's not, your best bet early on (and later) is to buy from a seller that you trust! Other than that, this forum has an extensive discussion base under the "Fake Alert" section: http://www.soviet-awards.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=19

Well, I think all of that has been said before, but I hope you find it to be useful advice. I'm sure other forum members well be able to chime in and extend on what little I've said.

Once again, welcome to the forum and I truly hope you enjoy the many facets of collecting!

- Sean

Last edited by Dante688i; 01-22-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Dante688i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2006, 04:59 AM   #32
Dante688i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christophe
Sean,

Excellent!!! Our posts look so similar!!!! Are our brain cells connected?

Cheers.

Ch.
Christophe,

Quite possibly!!! In which case, I'd be worried if I were you!

- Sean

Last edited by Dante688i; 01-22-2006 at 05:01 AM.
Dante688i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 05:17 AM   #33
Christophe

Ch.
Christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #34
GoM

Well, I've found a bit of success on this site, linked to on the main page...I found the medal I have , the EM Dress Hat Badge. Hardly worth anything, but hey...I like it, and it's perked my interest http://home.netcom.com/%7Emerezhko/scans/htbdge2.jpg
GoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #35
Nack

GoM, it's all about interest, after all--just because something isn't all that valuable money-wise, its worth to you might be huge.

I am still new to the hobby, and I have enjoyed the first year and a half of collecting Soviet stuff. While there are all kinds of fake orders and medals being produced today, and fake uniforms & badges too, there is still plenty to collect. Stick to reputable dealers with money-back guarantees, and read read read the posts on this forum.

Welcome aboard, unless you handle "GoM" stands for "GoMichigan," then, go away. (Go Bucks!)
Nack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 12:22 AM   #36
GoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nack
GoM, it's all about interest, after all--just because something isn't all that valuable money-wise, its worth to you might be huge.

I am still new to the hobby, and I have enjoyed the first year and a half of collecting Soviet stuff. While there are all kinds of fake orders and medals being produced today, and fake uniforms & badges too, there is still plenty to collect. Stick to reputable dealers with money-back guarantees, and read read read the posts on this forum.

Welcome aboard, unless you handle "GoM" stands for "GoMichigan," then, go away. (Go Bucks!)
Hah..fraid not . My team, as far as NCAA goes, is Texas...and yes, before this season, might I add . When I first started following football, Ricky Williams was tearing it up down in Austin, so I've supported em since.

As far as collecting goes, it's a start, and I'm looking more for stuff I like than stuff that's worth more and I can sell at a premium, as you said...now, to *find* a bloody dealer nearby, unless I feel like internet ordering
GoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #37
Historian

Hi, Newbie question.....

Hi,

I thought i'd introduce myself and ask my first question all at once. Here goes, my name is Tom, I'm 22 and I'm studying for Ma in "War, Media and Modernity". I'm currently researching for a paper based around propaganda, and I want to use two examples of medals as propaganda tools, e.g. The order of Lenin, and the order of Alexander Nevsky.

So, my question is: Do you consider the First type order of Lenin to be a concious propaganda statement?, in that the Tractor stands for communist ideals and the prominence of Lenin's head above (and larger than the tractor) shows/stands for the supreme control of the state, as well as Lenin's control of the the state and therefore the people? Or am I reading too much into this?

All the best,
Tom
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #38
Kirchgoens

It's all symbolism...

These objects are loaded with symbolism, just like the posters. Given the misery and repression and fear that was especially present in the first three 3.5 decades, they must have needed something to attempt to counter it all...

...Brian
Kirchgoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:23 PM   #39
Historian

I agree, I studied Russia post 53' (so just after Stalin's demise), last year, my dissertation was on "In What Ways Did The Soviet Regime Use The Second World War To Legitimize Itself After 1945?" (managed to squeeze in a few Russian medal references there :-) ) The exstent of the new expressions against the regime, as the years went by was truly remarkable, if you follow Soviet film's for instance you get a dramatic upsurge in speaking out against the party over a matter of just 30 years. Take Elim Klimov's work "Come and See", or the film "Repentance". Your correct insaying that propaganda and symbolism was heavily in use.

ATB,
Tom
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #40
medals73

Yes, as a historian (Ph.D.), I think you are reading far too much into this.

Lenin was an important figure, and an important symbol of the revolution. On an order named after him, why should he not be the dominant design feature? The question to be asked -- which can't be answered without real research -- is how the decision was reached (1) to name the order after him and (2) why this design (rather than others) was chosen. What we may guess now as capitalist outsiders matters little; what the decision makers at the time thought is relevant, but it will take work to address that aspect. And all the guesswork in the world won't help. I am not at all sure we can easily read the design as it was read at the time, absent histoircal knowledge and serious research.

And do remember that all States use "propaganda and symbolism" to support their agenda; otherwise why waste money on any of this stuff anyway?

To clarify: I think you are asking a vitally important historical question, one of State sybology and values expressed in tangible form. (I have a colleague who is working on early Soviet postage stamps.) We just have to be very careful with our views as outsiders and post-Soviet (and, in some cases, rabidly anti-Soviet) observers.

Last edited by medals73; 02-17-2008 at 12:35 PM.
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote