The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 04-28-2003, 06:04 PM   #21
HuliganRS

Tal: The guy wants $36 in shipping!

I was going to get it and keep it sealed...

Rusty.
Member #193
HuliganRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #22
alconlon

I notice that many of us have an interest in the Order of Glory III Class.This is probably because they represent an heroic action by a soldier and are relatively inexpensive to purchase.I feel that the members of this forum probably own a substantial portion of those awarded.How many do you own?Lets get some totals,I own 23.

I also feel that A soldier,sailor,airman putting his life on the line and receiving the Order of Glory III Class that we are able to purchase for around $20-$30 is a fantastic bargain.

Thanks,Al
alconlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #23
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Do you accumilate?

With more than a decade passing since this thread last got a kick questions arise.

Do the same people accumulating here continue to do so or have they offloaded?

With research the way it is now, are the "bits" seen as sterile "collectables" or a key to a story? No two stories are the same, although long service awards are going to be fairly similar.

Within the collection there are a number of Orders that are collected in the hundreds and considerably more collected in the dozens but with the hope of research they can be seen as many individuals rather than many items that are the same. This is not the same as hoarding rather "numb" Jubilee Medals.

Hoarding to speculate and searching for histories are two completely different things.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:04 PM   #24
Bob

15 or so mongolian order of sukh baatar's

I've narrowed down my hunt to strictly screwbacks and preferably documented ones
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
Esteban_cool

I´ve never stood those who hoard awards, keep them in a shoebox and just sit on them, whether is it for speculating or not. Once, an Asian 'collector' showed up at the WAF showing pictures of dozens of HSLs, Nevskies, ORBs and other high-end orders stockpiled in BOXES!!! Of course, he had no idea of the story behind each award and it seemed he had no interest in it. It was so upsetting to see him "counting money in front of the poor" that I let him know my thoughts on the hobby, especially that what he was having so carelessly inside those boxes was not just some cheap bling-bling and so on. His answer was as dissapointing as his collection.

If someone wants to hoard, accumulate or whatever you wanna call it, there are many other kinds of stuff suitable for it (such as cards, bottles, dust, newspapers, cats, etc...); there´s no need nor a good reason -IMHO- to do it with historical pieces such as Soviet awards, unless you really appreciate and care for what´s behind each one of them.
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:18 AM   #26
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Do you accumulate?

I think 568 "researchable" Soviet Orders are mentioned to be "hoarded" in the thread and what is surprising that collectively the people stated they have these hoards between them have only posted 6 researched awards. I infer from this that most of these Orders will be hidden away in shoeboxes unfortunately.

I have a number of Orders and Medals that need to be researched (and will be) but unfortunately the situation is presenting itself to pursue the research although it is something that gets a lot of thought. Due to other commitments I've postponed researching and posting hundreds of researched Bulgarian award groups but that will be coming to the fore later this year or early next year depending on other commitments (things always seem to get busier rather than quieter). There are some really extraordinary and fascinating groups that will certainly appeal to all. Spies, Border Guards, Internationalists, Fighter Pilots, Generals - something for everyone. New subsections of the People's Republic Of Bulgaria section of the forum are planned to make things more accessible.

The latest Soviet award I researched turn out to be a brilliant tale (specially with my association to Military Logistics and fondness of the campaigns in Crimea) - http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...-9th-army.html

For those who missed it - http://soviet-awards.com/forum/sovie...tml#post229705 is what anyone can hope to expect from researching Bulgarian awards.

When things calm down (if that is) I may offer a Bulgarian research service to those interested.

How about the question Do you accumulate research?
I've "hoarded" 25 fully researched Soviet awards, almost all of them are framed and displayed as should be.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:18 PM   #27
new world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban_cool View Post
I´ve never stood those who hoard awards, keep them in a shoebox and just sit on them, whether is it for speculating or not. Once, an Asian 'collector' showed up at the WAF showing pictures of dozens of HSLs, Nevskies, ORBs and other high-end orders stockpiled in BOXES!!! Of course, he had no idea of the story behind each award and it seemed he had no interest in it. It was so upsetting to see him "counting money in front of the poor" that I let him know my thoughts on the hobby, especially that what he was having so carelessly inside those boxes was not just some cheap bling-bling and so on. His answer was as dissapointing as his collection.

If someone wants to hoard, accumulate or whatever you wanna call it, there are many other kinds of stuff suitable for it (such as cards, bottles, dust, newspapers, cats, etc...); there´s no need nor a good reason -IMHO- to do it with historical pieces such as Soviet awards, unless you really appreciate and care for what´s behind each one of them.
It's not that clear-cut as one can think. I understand that you have strong opinion on the subject, but often it's not practical to research all awards in one's collection.

For example, when I was actively collecting Soviet awards - about 10-15 years ago - orders of Red Star were selling for around $10-30. At the time research cost was about $100 or more.

Say a collector had $100 to spend, well his choice basically was to either spend it on ONE research or to buy 5-10 actual awards.

Keep in mind that on many Red Stars research that one would get wasn't anything exciting - long service, support roles, behind the front lines positions, or just people doing their routine jobs (i.e. hitting repair/service quotas), etc. On rare occasion some really cool citations would come back, but you one would have to spend hundreds of dollars on common citations to fetch something really interesting.

Or those hundreds of dollars could be spent buying actual awards, that could be researched later.

Looking back we can agree that going with awards vs spending money on research in most cases was wiser decision.
new world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:38 PM   #28
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

Re: Do you accumulate?

Well the last two and a half years have been eventful. Prices of awards and research have fallen and with the millions of Soviet awards out there there is never a shortage of those available to purchase.

I was very content with 25 researched Soviet awards two and a half years ago... although I wasn't very happy about having researchable awards on hand that were not yet researched. With the substantial drop in research costs and new contacts I have been able to research all researchable Soviet awards in the collection (although I only research those I have had in hand - just so there are no errors - there are 65 of those piled up awaiting my inspection). That very respectable figure of 25 has now become 365. With only 11 military awards coming back "not found" (although most if not all of those will be found later this year when I get access to the NKVD/GB archives). There are also 8 new arrivals that I'm waiting to hear back on.

With the higher number of researched awards comes far more option to find the surprising and usual tales. Almost every role has been uncovered. The Balloon Observer, Fighter Pilot, Medic, Mariner, Naval Infantry, Driver, Telephonist, Tankist, Baker, Cook, Machinegunner, Desk Jockey, Typesetter, Carpenter, Tailor, Sapper, Listener, SMERSH Operative, Accountant, Typist, Oiler, Armourer, Rifleman, Mortarist, Gunner, Loader, Navigator, Folk Singer, Musician, Radioist, Doctor and all the other occupations and trades of the Red Arm And Navy.

With each researched award being unique I don't know if it can really be called hoarding although there certainly is a pile accumulating. The researched awards sections of the forum are certainly getting padded out. I've not posted everything I've got to post yet but as and when I can I will, including all available information (names, serial numbers, etc.) to further assist other collectors and researchers.

Whilst I've been offering a research service (which is less around 6 months now) I have processed over 1,000 requests by serial number which suggests to me very strongly that a lot of people that have been sitting on a lot of awards for some time have just been waiting for the right price to research. This very much reinforces the fact that we have some very high quality collectors using the forum who are more interested in the historical value of what they have collected than speculation or profits.

For those who have not started researching their own piles there is no better time than now to research. The archives are regaining their flow after the Christmas/New Year break.