The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 05-17-2002, 04:32 AM   #1
Tal Inbar

Exporting Of Items.

Hi

I wonder if any of you know what the Russian law says regarding trade in Soviet awards. What - if any - is the difference between buying an award in Russia, selling it outside Russia etc. Who is in charge of forcing those laws/regulations? (it is not so effective, however, otherwise we didn't have had our collections...).

Tal
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2002, 10:59 AM   #2
Chris
Banned

I will find out

Hi Tal

I will find out the exact laws. I know somebody in the FSB.

What I know now and I'm sure you do is it is illigal.

I saw a newspaper report about a Japanese guy getting stopped and arrested.

He had some really low key medals, labour and work veteran, the 5/10 dollar stuff and only a couple.

Made me laught they were definetely trying to impress the readers that they are stopping the removal of state heritage whilst getting bribed by guys taking the real stuff over the border.

They caught a sucker

chris
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 07:57 AM   #3
Tal Inbar

Hi again

I read some stories about tourists who bought cheap medals and they were confiscated at the Moscow airport.

The question is, if a veteran's family sold expensive award (such as Ushakov 1), and it is now on sale outside Russia, is there a risk for the buyer? Is the award still considered a state property? Is there a way in which Russian government will sue sellers/buyers of those awards?
Tal Inbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 07:07 PM   #4
Tweakette

Export laws changed?

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post, and of course it's a question:

On several recent Ebay listings I've seen statements to the effect that "Due to a recent legal change orders and medals are no longer allowed to be exported out of Russia". Can someone tell me if this is true and if it is a long-standing or new law?

Thanks

Liz
Tweakette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 09:00 PM   #5
Art
Forum Founder

Hi Liz,

Orders and Medals have NEVER been allowed to be exported out of Russia. Getting caught with them at customs will in most cases result in them being confiscated. Try using the search feature and search on the word "export" or "customs". You can read of several other collectors adventures with customs.

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:05 AM   #6
otlichnik

Art,

That may be true, although I am not sure about the older laws. However, the fact is there was a great change in attitude with the promulgation of a new Russian Federation law around 1997 or 1998 - perhaps someone has more details.

Before then stuff was still stopped from time to time but you could openly buy orders and medals and many people got them out. After that law you could not get anything out legitimately and even the sales of orders and badges started to move "underground" or actually simply under-counter.

Interestingly, as far as I can tell this did not really effect prices much. Instead demand, and in some regards growing seller and buyer awareness, have affected prices.

It is also not legal to remove any thing "old" - I hear 25 years and I hear pre-1970 amongst other things - without a Ministry of Culture Exportation Permit. So technically it is as illegal to take out a WWII uniform as a WWII campaign medal.

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
Art
Forum Founder

Hmmm, I've always heard that while awards were easily obtainable, it was strictly verboten to bring them out. I know we've talked about this before, but if anyone else can add their opinion it would be appreciated.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:03 AM   #8
otlichnik

Art,

I know many people who took orders and medals out no problem in the early to mid-1990s including one student who wore his leather jacket with a Red Star on it out through the airport.

It may have been illegal and was certainly enforced sometimes but not regularly like afterwards.

In my opinion, shared by a few others I have spoken with, the real crackdown on orders and medals at the airports was not even due to the law. It really became difficult to get things out after the September 1999 bombings in Moscow which put all law enforcement, especially the RF state border service, on high alert.

From then on all luggage was examined, even check in lugage which used to not be reguarly checked.

Shawn
Old 01-19-2003, 06:14 PM   #9
scook17

So what if you have a grandfather, uncle etc who leaves you this stuff when they die, and you don't live inside the former USSR any more?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 05:38 AM   #10
otlichnik

Great question Shane!

My short answer, if someone was really faced with this issue, would be to contact your nearest Russian Embassy and ask them. Or, if in the RF then contact the State Customs Service.

Has anyone heard of it hapenning??

Shawn