The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:21 PM   #621
jefflgarrison

Re: State of the hobby.

I've got $100,000,000 Zimbawean dollars I can pay for that Order of Victory of you can find the seller.

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
jefflgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 PM   #622
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

What with $100,000,000 Zimbabwean being $11 Million US with the revaluation of the currency at the start of the month I suppose I could get on the phone to Michael Of Romania.....
CtahhR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:59 AM   #623
Riley1965

Until prices get "out of the clouds" I have no choice but to stick with medical related items, a Sevastopol & Odessa medals and documents to complete my Campaign medal collection, BMs and CSMs and maybe the occassional ORS. Other than that I'll finish getting the research on what I have.

Doc
Riley1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 06:12 AM   #624
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I think the only 2 ways in which this hobby could become accessible by all once again. #1 Inflation goes nuts with the prices staying stagnant. #2 The Russian Federation changes the laws on exporting of awards etc. On the rare items the prices are always going to be difficult because if there are 500 of one item and 2000 want it it's going to cost.... I once bought up a vast amount of unissued RF State medals for a song but those customs officers in the RF seized them! Fortunately it was on approval so I didn't lose out....
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #625
Norm Braddock
Banned

Re: Priced Out...

Knowing "abit" about business, my two cents is as follows:

With the greed ( ), skyrocketing prices associated with it (), and the amount of fakes out there () the bubble will burst in the future.

Thereafter, watch the prices come down dramatically.

Sure, you will have your collection but with no one to buy it. Enjoy!

I'm just glad that I collect for historical purposes and interest instead of trying to make big bucks off of what I buy.

As for the sellers, I will deal with reputable people (and you know who you are ) who still have honor and offer decent deals at this time. THEY will prosper further in the future.

I mean................what a pathetic joke! Fakes everywhere (maybe even Sparky the Cat is a fake??????), pathetic greed..................makes ones sick.

Oh, btw, ya ya ya, EVERY Russian billionaire wants your collection-get real. Why heavens, right now they are in your closet looking at your collection and deterimining what they are going to buy from you for millions.

I dealt with one pea brain (not a forum member) early on who had all kinds of merchandise (real and fake) but got so greedy and was dishonest(as I found out), he ultimately wanted $200 for Soviet hat pin cause "that's what they are going for in Moscow right now." LOL, was damn GLAD to punt him.

Thank you good peoples out there who still offer very fairly priced items and have honor assoicated with it!

NRM
Norm Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #626
Mark

We are at a point, where prices are so crazy, that it would be a complete nonsense to start collecting this shuff now or continue collecting. You cannot get anything useful for your hard earned buck, at least if you're a normal mortal. I have also been priced out and haven't bought nothing for nearly 6 months. So I'd say I'm done collecting soviet medals. At least untill the trend of rising prices doesn't reverse itself. Which I think will happen as this maddness cannot continue forever. At some point prices will stop rising or even start falling.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #627
CtahhR
Forum Administrator

I suppose if you "collect" for the financial incentive you're not a "collector" but an investor... I hoard all the goodies I do without a thought of what they are worth what I have is what I have and that's that.... I'm trying to build a legacy that I can leave to future generations to enjoy... some of the items I'm sitting on have been collected into my family over 4 generations so I'm quite happy to be able to snowball everything over my lifetime in the hope that when I'm gone someone else will be able to add to it.... Currently I am working on creating my very own museum so not only can I enjoy the goodies but everyone else who cares to can come and observe what there is.....
Old 08-08-2008, 09:48 AM   #628
Norm Braddock
Banned

PS

1. I asked my relatives in Ukraine and in Siberia a general question. I asked if wartime related ODM's are still in the hands of relatives or the actual vets.
They said that they most certainly are which made me very happy. I realize that this varies from region to region but thankfully not all items have been bought from the families. This is just a general comment.

2. "Peabrain" ultimately did have a large number of good items for sale-albeit at "Moscow prices" thus my very welcomed parting from him. He got these from accross Canada and mostly from Russian sailors on the coast who supposedly brought over vast numbers of these items.

Hypothetically, IF (????????) this may actually be true, then I ask the following: If the costs are soooooooo high in Moscow et al locations in Russia, why didnt they sell them there instead of bringing them here?
Norm Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #629
Riley1965

Is this the badge?

Doc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Exellence in Health Care Badge.JPG (9.3 KB, 9 views)
Riley1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #630
Kirchgoens

I believe it was as best my eight day memory serves me. I went back today on my usual market morning, but was told it sold. What was it worth roughly?
Kirchgoens is offline   Reply With Quote