The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Republic Of Cuba

Republic Of Cuba República De Cuba 1st January 1959 -

Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
medals73

Re: Condecoraciones Cubanas

I now have vol. I and vol. III in hand.

Neither is "The Cuban Red Bible". All text, no pictures. Be warned.

I now wish I had given vol. 1 a pass. It deals almost entirely with pre-revolutionary things and will be of very limited (= "no") interest to this forum. The third volume is good, and gives the full text of all the post-revolutionary decrees. I am sure there is much to be learned here, if I could only read Spanish.

Overall = Disappointed.

But, as I feared, the author is a "Florida Cuban".

We still need a good "Cuba Book". ("Taz" . . . ????)
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #12
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by medals73 View Post

I now wish I had given vol. 1 a pass. It deals almost entirely with pre-revolutionary things and will be of very limited (= "no") interest to this forum. The third volume is good, and gives the full text of all the post-revolutionary decrees. I am sure there is much to be learned here, if I could only read Spanish.

Overall = Disappointed.

Hi Ed,
not the Cuban Bible by any means i agree, although having no images wasn't a suprise because i knew that beforehand.
After reading a few pages online i also knew that Vol 1 was mostly pre-revolution, i suppose it all depends on what you want, pictures of awards that we already have, or on the other hand hard fact info on the laws regarding them.
It has already proved it's worth with the Medalla "De la Independecia" information and the other pre-revolution awards that were ratified in the ley 30.
So for me it would be overall = as expected.

As for the book issue, well i have been contemplating that for a while now and at the moment i feel that i am still missing a few pieces of the puzzle which i hope to be solved by these books from Maikel.

Best regards Eddie.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #13
medals73

I was not wanting or intending to dimish his achievement. He has (I think) done a fine book here and, as a lawyer, he is steeped in the intricacies of legislation and knows the secrets of negotiating a law library. Sadly, for us, the interesting moment would come at the moment of transition represented by the revolution, and I'm not sure he does much with that. Volume III will give a future author with language skills a great deal of tasty primary source material.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
aristashr

Quote:

Overall = Disappointed.

Thank you for pouring your opinions in this forum about "Condecoraciones cubanas". I wrote the book while I was living in Cuba, I'm not sure if that makes it a "Good Cuba Book" although I understand the exiled community quite often disregards anything dealing with post-revolutionary Cuba. In any event, I'm currently drafting Volume IV with the language skills you were requesting, however, I must say it is a challenge because of all the secrecy regarding the Cuban awards. I have been in contact with the Chief of the Office of Titles and Decorations to reach some sort of agreement to that effect and be able to "tell" the story of Cuban awards with no avail until now. It is fascinanting what I have already gathered so far... I can't wait to see it out there. I'm trying to compile the list of persons awarded with different decorations and it is quite a endeavour.

In the meantime, please by all means feel free to point out discrepancies or mistakes in the book. I will be more than happy to correct it in future editions. Even though the book was published in 2010, it has been written since 2006 but in Cuba it's impossible to publish anything.

Images are also coming in future volumes. My personal collection of 200+ items soon will be in Florida and I'm planning on setting up a web site with the information, so hang on guys...

I'm also gathering information regarding local awards, province and municipalities awards.

It just takes so much time...

Kind regards to all of you.
About an edition in English, I can prepare a translation and distribute it online as well. I just didn't know there would be more interest in this book in English than the it draws in Spanish. It is hardly sold, as I expected, but maybe we can prepare an English edition with your help. I'll be more than happy to give away the copyright for translation purposes freely, with no charge. (I'm not even sure this is the way it works, I'm just guessing) ;-).

I think I saw somewhere a rough translation you prepared of Law-Decree 30 (I'm sorry if I'm mistaking you with another member of this forum) and it was highly commendable.

Post-revolutionary legislation is huge as you can see by the thick of Vol. III.
aristashr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
medals73

Welcome. Many thanks for the books. And thanks for your presence here!

:thumbsup
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Esteban_cool

Quote:
Welcome. Many thanks for the books. And thanks for your presence here!

:thumbsup
Me sumo a los agradecimientos /Second that.
Muchas gracias por tu trabajo!/Thanks for your job! :thumbsup
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
aristashr

Absolutely. I hope I can learn a lot from you guys. Regards.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristashr View Post
Thank you for pouring your opinions in this forum about "Condecoraciones cubanas". I wrote the book while I was living in Cuba, I'm not sure if that makes it a "Good Cuba Book" although I understand the exiled community quite often disregards anything dealing with post-revolutionary Cuba. In any event, I'm currently drafting Volume IV with the language skills you were requesting, however, I must say it is a challenge because of all the secrecy regarding the Cuban awards. I have been in contact with the Chief of the Office of Titles and Decorations to reach some sort of agreement to that effect and be able to "tell" the story of Cuban awards with no avail until now. It is fascinanting what I have already gathered so far... I can't wait to see it out there. I'm trying to compile the list of persons awarded with different decorations and it is quite a endeavour.

In the meantime, please by all means feel free to point out discrepancies or mistakes in the book. I will be more than happy to correct it in future editions. Even though the book was published in 2010, it has been written since 2006 but in Cuba it's impossible to publish anything.

Images are also coming in future volumes. My personal collection of 200+ items soon will be in Florida and I'm planning on setting up a web site with the information, so hang on guys...

I'm also gathering information regarding local awards, province and municipalities awards.

It just takes so much time...

Kind regards to all of you.
About an edition in English, I can prepare a translation and distribute it online as well. I just didn't know there would be more interest in this book in English than the it draws in Spanish. It is hardly sold, as I expected, but maybe we can prepare an English edition with your help. I'll be more than happy to give away the copyright for translation purposes freely, with no charge. (I'm not even sure this is the way it works, I'm just guessing) ;-).

I think I saw somewhere a rough translation you prepared of Law-Decree 30 (I'm sorry if I'm mistaking you with another member of this forum) and it was highly commendable.

Post-revolutionary legislation is huge as you can see by the thick of Vol. III.
Hello Maikel,
welcome to the forum, very nice to see you here :thumbsup
When we started this section of the forum most of the information and images for us was groundbreaking and existed nowhere else on the web apart from another Medal forum where the Law decree 30 was originally posted in Spanish. Esteban very kindly translated it to English and this existed nowhere else apart from this forum at that time.
The hours of research on Cuban web sites has certainly paid off now though because as far as i know the titles, medals and distionctions are as comprehensive as it can be right now.
The local vanguard awards are a different story, hard to find much information at all, maybe when you find the time you can have a read through the section and add what you think fit.

Best regards Eddie.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #19
aristashr

Did you have an opportunity to purchase/review the new book from Aivars Zvidris?

Enjoy! I recommend it. Although it does not contain images of the orders.