The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:40 AM   #721
EricFG

Re: How to display Soviet awards

Another job well done.
I'd have never considered displaying the two sides together until this morning and now it makes perfect sense.
And yes, the the two groups are roughly equivilent although there is room to quible if one felt like being pedantic.
But all in all superbly done; you've got me rethinking how I display my stuff.

I now look forward to your new posts.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #722
desantnik
Forum Moderator

Sweet ideal.
desantnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #723
Sergei

Economy solutions

Many thanks to Art for his generous help with images.

With all spare cash spent on medals, I am looking for cheap but still convenient storage/display options.
The two pictures are ORB's stored in an industry-made 3-ring binder. Each page takes 6 medals on a 5-sided suspension, sitting in individual pockets. Each ORB is sitting in it's own medal sleeve to which a sticker can be attached at the back for comments (rather than putting anything on the medal itself). The medal sleeve serves two more purposes: extra protection and less chance for a medal to slip out of the pocket.
The pages are separated by a thin sheet of foam in a cheap plastic sleeve, again for extra protection.
A bit of a headache for someone living in the UK as the medal pages are for a 3-ring binder whereas the binders here normally have 2 or 4 rings. There are, however, special medal folders.

Sergei
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1376.jpg (44.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1379.jpg (21.0 KB, 29 views)
Sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:50 AM   #724
Sergei

Really economy solutions

This is how I solved my permanent problem: not getting a correct size of the pockets in standard plastic sleeves for storing photos, paper cut-outs and docs.
I've used cheap A4 sleeves for a standard binder. In the middle, a horizontal cut was made on the front side of the sleeve with a sharp knife. In order to keep the back of the sleeve intact, a sheet of cardboard is put inside. Along the cut, the top half is then given a sealed bottom by stabbing a line of holes with a hot knife. This is a lot easier than trying to stick two sheets of plastic together by making a continuous seal line.
To make a separate compartment for the medal, another, this time vertical line of holes was made with the hot knife, as seen in the picture (hopefully).

Sergei
PS the photo is purely for illustration.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT1380.jpg (44.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg PICT1381.jpg (35.2 KB, 16 views)
Sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 05:09 AM   #725
jefflgarrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
pedantic
Hey, hey!!! No big words, we are simple peasants. Leave those words for the commissars

Who will come to us with a feather - will be tickled by a feather!" - citation of Alexander Nevski
jefflgarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #726
EricFG

A new friend off-forum asked about document and paper storage and display recently. So I took the time out of my busy life to do a series of short videos less about my collection itself and more about how I store them.
I hope this my help or inspire others as well.
These vidoes are, of course, on youtube. I don't think we have the capability to host vidoes here (do we?).
1) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals, documents storage 1
2) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals, documents storage 2
3) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals and documents storage 3
4) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals and documents storage 4
5) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals and documents storage 5

So whattaya think?

And speaking of the youtube this: YouTube - Soviet awards - Detecting the fakes! (Part 1) is very interesting.

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 02:52 PM.
EricFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #727
ANZAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFG View Post
A new friend off-forum asked about document and paper storage and display recently. So I took the time out of my busy life to do a series of short videos less about my collection itself and more about how I store them.
I hope this my help or inspire others as well.
These vidoes are, of course, on youtube. I don't think we have the capability to host vidoes here (do we?).
1) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals, documents storage 1
2) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals, documents storage 2
3) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals and documents storage 3
4) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals and documents storage 4
5) YouTube - Soviet orders, medals and documents storage 5

So whattaya think?

Very well done Eric, nice and informative

By the way, I didn't think you Yanks had accents?

Brendan
Old 03-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #728
Esteban_cool

Very good videos!
And the parting on the left
Are now parting on the right
And the beards have all grown longer overnight

The Who, Won't get fooled again
Esteban_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #729
Norm Braddock
Banned

Excellent effort and very informative Ericsky Well done lad!

If it was your cat China doing the narrative, then I picked up on a slight NY accent.
Norm Braddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #730
deValcourt

Well Eric,

First, thank you for the post. It tells volumes (excuse the pun) more than a lengthy explanation which I am often guilty of. Second, since I hope I'm not being too egotistical to assume that I am your new friend, thank you for the compliment and for reminding me about the forum that I had let slip my mind.

As for my mind, it has been suitably blow by the amazing creativity and ingenuity of many of you guys in your displays. More to the point, I learned a great deal about protecting documents. My oldest papers are already tightly sealed in the sticky (static?) backed photo album sleeves. But I like Eric's approach for the medal award documents and booklets. I'll be at the craft shops this weekend. Right now most of the medals are sitting on top of their respective documents on a table that is much too small for everything and because it is so humid down here in south Louisiana, I can't open the windows in my office even though the weather is rather nice right now for fear that the looming thunderstorms will kick up and the moisture will wreck my papers. However, as I said, that problem could well be rectified this weekend.

Another question to everyone: I have a thick folder/file of a single NKVD-MVD officer who appears to have survived the purges as the head of a gulag and later became an instructor at a political academy. I was given this file (and the beginnings of my medal/badge collection) by a friend of mine while I lived in Moscow in the early 1990s. I'm talking about the original folder and the documents that marked out his career. I don't want to break it up into individual pages and the only thing I can think of is using the good old gallon-sized freezer zip bag to keep it together. Any thoughts?

This is officially my first real post since I joined, so please take it easy on me. Believe me when I tell you I have more questions now but several good possible answers after running through this thread.

By the way, the "accent" is New England? We "yanks" have more accents than Muscovites on the Arbat!

Phillip
deValcourt is offline   Reply With Quote