The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:04 PM   #701
Eryk

A bit of thread resurection

But this topic is always appropriate!

Recently reworked a display done previously, and added a piece not actually in the group, but interesting none the less.

The card for the Nagant reads:

Quote:
Revolver System Nagant Model 1895

The Nagant was one of the two standard officer’s side arms in the GPW (the other being the Tokarev TT33), and as such was likely a model carried by Major Avramenko.

The Model 1895 revolver holds 7 rounds of 7.62x38R ammunition. In operation the revolver uses a unique function: the cylinder moves forward and creates a seal with the barrel that helps silence the gun and increase muzzle velocity. Even so it fires a 100 grain jacketed bullet at a paltry 750 fps.

This revolver is s/n MB151. It came out of production in 1943 and is exceptional in its own right. The arsenal mark and date stamped on the frame is a hybrid of the Tula and Izhevsk factories. In late 1941 the Tula factory was evacuated to Izhevsk, and resumed production in 1942/43. The assumption is that a small number of Model 1895s were begun in Tula and completed in Izhevsk, thus showing the mixture of markings.
(The other two cards are posted elsewhere with the old display of the group.)

Picked up the revolver for about the price of a long service Red Star... a few years ago! Though I'm not into collecting firearms it has a certain appeal (not least of which is price), and in this case went perfectly with the display. It's a near certainty that a Nagant adorned Avramenko's hip as he "motivated" the troops. (Anyone who hasn't seen the other thread, he was a Commissar.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nagant.JPG (94.8 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by Eryk; 09-14-2008 at 11:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Eryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2008, 11:13 PM   #702
Eryk

Re: How to display Soviet awards

Have also set up a shelf system to work with my penchant for Riker cases. They're great - cheap, flexible, portable. But they're crap to hang on a wall. The answer? A narrow shelf with a lip made for knick-knacks; the case leans back against the wall yet won't slide off by virtue of the lip on the shelf. They also have the virtue of being reconfigurable at will, so the display is easy to change as you can see between pic 1 and 2. Same shelves, just take off the old and put up the new. (Last pic is of my work area; picked up a handy little Ikea table that's great for working with awards.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wall1.JPG (94.0 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Wall2.JPG (86.5 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg Room.JPG (96.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 09-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #703
ANZAC

Very nice Displays Eryk

Brendan
Old 09-15-2008, 07:08 AM   #704
Riley1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC View Post
Very nice Displays Eryk

Brendan
Eryk,
I'll echo Brendan's compliment!!! I really LOVE you OoG displays!!!

Doc
Riley1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 AM   #705
pastfinder

I just scrolled through this entire thread and can only say WOW at some of the collections!

The display ideas/suggestions/variations has me wondering how best to display my patch collection. I keep them in Riker mounts, stacked on a bookcase, with covering to block out light. I am opposed to storing them in plastic sheets due to the risk of acid or chemical reactions between the patch and the plastic, but the Riker mounts don't allow me to hang them, nor is the glass treated to block UV. I think I need to just break down and build something.

Argh...
pastfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #706
EricFG

Re: A bit of thread resurection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
Picked up the revolver for about the price of a long service Red Star...
Nice display(s).... I like the Nagant; been 'wanting' one for some time now.
Good job E!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM   #707
Eryk

Thanks for the kind words all.

I probably exagerate on the Nagant deal; picked it up for $85.00 at a show last weekend. I'd heard about "$50.00 Russkie surplus" forever but never found such. Online they typically they go for $100.00 to $140.00, plus shipping and transfer fee. And at shows they were nowhere to be found. Till Saturday last - guy there selling Mosin Nagant rifles and pistols. I wanted Soviet wartime manufacture of course, for the display, and that's what he had. Getting the uncommon arsenal mark was icing on the cake.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 PM   #708
Bogdan

Hello Gentlemen,

I have seen some mention of "riker mounts" and I have seen these at shows and sales and have used them myself. As a former College Biology Lab instructor, these are great for biological mounts and are especially suited for this use. However, I use great caution with my awards as I was told by my local dealer that it could be possible to damage enamels by pressing the glass against the medals in closing. This dealer has 60 years of experience and does use modified riker mounts in some of his shop displays. So I do not use the usual white fluff as padding. I just take that stuff out and throw it away and use washed old cloth for padding but just a little, then cover that with velvet. This way, most of them can be cased and protected but not pressed down on by the glass cover of the riker. I considered the risk of enamel breakage not worth it and have modified my riker mounts so that the glass touches no part of the awards. These are impossible to hang on a wall but in a safe or hidden drawer, this is fine. My wall displays are now in storage but my father and I build them as wooden frames and glass cover with velvet lining. Of course, the glass does not touch the awards.

Since I did not read all of this thread, this may have already been suggested so if it has, my apologies but I would just hate to learn of some damaged pieces by this method of storage.
Bogdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #709
Eryk

Yes, having the glass press against the award was a conundrum. At first I used the batting, but the concern you raise weighed on my mind. So I've swapped out pretty much all the displays that have any orders to a new format, shown in the pictures. (Medals and such where only the metal touches the glass I don't worry about, and some still have the batting.)

The technique is to cut a piece of 1/8 inch foam board to fit snuggly in the bottom of the case. Then cut a piece of velvet, rigid felt, or whatever looks good (thinking of printing out some propaganda posters on card stock and using it as a background), to the same size. Use spray on photo adhesive (very thin, no lines or bumps) to glue the 'cover' on the board. Let it dry, then position the awards. For screwbacks I poke a hole through the backing that will snuggly accept the screw post. For medals I poke two holes and thread thin wire (doubled over) through one, thread it between the ribbon and metal suspension, then through the other hole. Fish it through the loop end and pull it taught. Tried to tie it , but couldn't manage it, so simply draw it tight then tape it in place. For paper items use simple staples, hand placed on the corners (without piercing the paper) and pressed into the backing. The text that accompanies each display (I sometimes take them to the school where I work and show them to the other history geeks, so the 'story' of each is important to see with the awards IMO), is printed on card stock then taped in place with double back tape. Stays in place, but easy to remove and change (or correct in my case, as often as not I'm dissatisfied with the grammar after reading it all in place! ). Then put the top on and the pins back in. A bonus is the pins go into the foam board, and tend to hold the sides better than when the batting is in place, so the sides don't 'flare' as much.

Just to note, in the display shown the glass almost touches the metal on the Red Star; if I presson the glass it clicks against it. Hadn't noticed that before. But at any rate there's very little/no pressure on the award, which was the goal.

(Bogdan, have you written on another site about displaying awards and Riker cases? Can't think of the site right off, but if you are he, thanks! You introduced me to them! )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.JPG (26.7 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.JPG (24.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg P1010003.JPG (12.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 09-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #710
pastfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryk View Post
Thanks for the kind words all.

I probably exagerate on the Nagant deal; picked it up for $85.00 at a show last weekend. I'd heard about "$50.00 Russkie surplus" forever but never found such. Online they typically they go for $100.00 to $140.00, plus shipping and transfer fee. And at shows they were nowhere to be found. Till Saturday last - guy there selling Mosin Nagant rifles and pistols. I wanted Soviet wartime manufacture of course, for the display, and that's what he had. Getting the uncommon arsenal mark was icing on the cake.
You can buy one of the M1895 Nagants in excellent condition for around $100 shipped.

Aimsurplus.com, centuryarms.com, jgsales.com, and centerfiresystems.com are all decent companies to buy from. I bought one for my Dad as a gift. They really are in great shape. I also picked myself up a couple 91/30s and M38s for fun. The rifle has a hell of a kick, but they are accurate and easy to maintain.
pastfinder is offline   Reply With Quote