The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > Soviet Sphere > Mongolian People's Republic > Mongolian Titles

Old 08-25-2003, 04:59 PM   #1
scook17

Title "Hero Of The Mongolian People's Republic".

I just found out tonight, they had a Hero of the Mongolian People's Republic and a Hero of Labour of the Mongolian People's Republic, just like the HSU and HSL. Does anyone know how many of each were issued? Thanks.

Interestingly enough, there was also a Marshal star. Does anyone know who this was awarded to?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.
scook17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
Bob

Probably unawarded, nr 12 (on reverse) giving credence to thought of 10 being awarded. Excellent condition, circulating the rounds between dealers/collectors (I'm afraid to hear the price...)

What a beauty!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_7258.jpg (27.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_7257.jpg (44.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_7256.jpg (46.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_7255.jpg (40.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_7289.jpg (46.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_7290.jpg (36.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_7291.jpg (34.7 KB, 1 views)
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
Urnuh

As I wrote in my book, there were only 50 Type 2, Hero badges or officially known as "Gold Star" Medals were manufactured in the USSR. I do have archival information on how many medals were ordered and produced at the mint but unfortunately do not have a full list of recipients attached to the medal serial numbers yet. I am still working on this. In my book, one will see some information on the serial numbers of the Gold Star Medal and who got which serial numbered piece (though incomplete). Pages 42-43.

I did not include the names and other information on two later period (Mongolia period) Heroes of Mongolia, namely Major General D. Gungaa and Member of Parliament E. Bat-Uul (both bestowed the titles in 2009). Late MG Gungaa received the last specimen-Gold Star Medal produced in the USSR with the serial number 50. I learnt this information from a staff of the Award section of the President of Mongolia who I met during the research work there. As for Bat-Uul, he received a Type 3 (I would classify), Gold Star Medal. I actually held the one of two specimens produced. Since the President's Office ran out of the Soviet made stock, they had to order two specimens at the Mongolian Mint in 2009. One of the medals went to Bat-Uul and another is kept in the safe of the staff I mentioned above. The main visual difference on Type 2 medal is that it has a enamelled ribbon on the obverse of the suspension. The medal seemed a bit larger in size and did not have a serial number.

Here is Bat-Uul's photo taken during the award ceremony in December 2009. Sorry for the quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bat-uul.jpg (20.8 KB, 2 views)
Urnuh is offline   Reply With Quote