The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum  
  • Serial Numbers Database 2.0
Enter Here

vBClassified Featured Listings
Echoes of War
Seeking following Soviet campaign medals for ..,
Echoes of War

Go Back   The Soviet Military Awards Page Forum > Soviet Awards Forums > General And Slightly Off Topic Talk

General And Slightly Off Topic Talk Forum for exchanging ideas and talking about general issues without straying too far off topic.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
medals73

Re: How to store medals

Very well put, "CathhR". It isn't just a matter of accumulating or competing with others, the fun comes in the research and, yes, even in the cataloging.

I keep my catalogue in MSWord and just the Soviet material is two volumes (groups and singles, respectively 739 and 343 pages). And the catalogues are in a constant process of revision, even though not a lot of new stuff is being added these days. For organization (or it just being anal compulsive?) I assign numbers to individual items and to groups; if another group were to come in it would be G494 and the next single item, whether grouped or orphaned, would be 6582. I have clearly been doing this for too long.

Unfortunately, most items live in the bank vault, so as close as I come to fondling my friends is the virtual fondling of the scans in the catalogue.
medals73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
aironmeiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by progress View Post
Sorry aironmeiden, it is a secret between Tretov and me ( and advanced collectors). Italian collectors are not ready. They are good collectors but they need more experience. They have only a school knowledge about Soviet awards. To understand Soviet awards you need more knowledge not directly linked to your passion. They are like a little intelligent boy at his first school day compared with an old well-known scientist. They have not an inner market. There isn't a 'Soviet' market in your country. All others have their markets. Italians are all focused on Italian awards so there are no chances to compete with other buyers (British, German, Russian, American buyers). They are like North Korea, they isolate themselves. They are not ready because they think no more than pocket money can be spent on soviet items. I started to buy Soviet items 20 years ago. European awards were my first passion and I remain interested in those items but I added a 'Soviet passion'. My first passion cannot be considered better than the other. This is the difference between us and Italian collectors.
No problem progress, keep your secret for you
We do not take the bait of your provocations this is the difference between us and the stupid collectors.
aironmeiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
travel-north

Hi Tretov,
first of all, you have a great collection. I would definitely like to see larger pics. Secondly, like it was already said in previous posts, don't worry too much because many collectors have had some sort of problems with storage during their collecting careers. You just can't know everything and we don't have the resources like museums. From my experience, soaking in natural lemon juice and then washing with soap (ph neutral) and water is the best and safest way. I'm skeptical about using any kinds of chemicals unless you know very well what you doing. Anyway, before using any method of cleaning, try it first on the least precious items!
travel-north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Will

My first thought was also that the silver had simply tarnished.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
marsino

I'm still waiting to see your wonders, too much air and nothing metal ...
marsino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #6
travel-north

Nice way of storage!
travel-north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
Taz

Guys,
I was wondering what you think of this method of displaying Orders.
Here is an example for the Order of Glory.

I think they look OK, here the Red Banner.

And The Red Star And Banner of Labour.
I think they would be good for a Collection of variations and Types.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg af_1Glory.jpg (35.3 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg 87_1REd Ban.jpg (26.7 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg 3f_1Red Star.jpg (18.2 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 93_1Arb.jpg (23.2 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by CtahhR; 06-09-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #8
Dolf

Wow!!!

Taz,

WOW!!! What a great and beautiful collection of Orders you have!
The way you display them is very attractive too! Where do you find that back tissue of the same pattern of the Order's ribbons?!

Congratulations!

Dolf
Dolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:05 AM   #9
otlichnik

Awesome! Have you found similar fabric. Or did you somehow super-stretch some bits of actualribbon??

Shawn
otlichnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:11 AM   #10
Tal Inbar

Looks like the ribbons for flags and banners.

Tal